Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT web question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joea9146
I have got the pesky Xupiter.com crap that some how loaded on my PC I change my default webpage and a day later it is back to this xupiter.com default webpage and it appears to generate a lot more popups with it.... anyone else have this problem or know how to get rid of this problem. I do not want to delete all my cookies so any ideas or help would be appreciated
airsix
Here is a link to the "Spybot Search and Destroy" webpage. It's a free spyware finder/killer and it works pretty good. I don't know if it's programmed to find/kill the xupiter stuff, but it's worth a try. I try to keep very close tabs on what cookies get installed on my box, and I'm very vigilant about applying security patches in a timely manner etc. but when I installed and ran this last week it found 76 instances of bad stuff (doubleclick cookies, naughty active-x controlls, and other baddies).

http://security.kolla.de/

-Ben M.
Mueller
If you are using MS Explorer, you can do the following:

Tools > Internet Options > Settings and then pick and choose the cookies you'd like to wipe out.

Under Tools is also the option for setting your startup page.
MarkV
Give this a try it works for me. I usually run it once a month just to make to check for alien software.

lavasoft

pain30.gif
Brad Roberts
WHOA Ben.

Spybot works pretty damn good. It may become a "914club" download.

I thought this computer was pretty clean... DENIED. 20 some odd issues.

B
Lawrence
Lavasoft rocks. That's what I use.
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 9 2003, 03:51 PM)
WHOA Ben.

Spybot works pretty damn good. It may become a "914club" download.

I thought this computer was pretty clean... DENIED. 20 some odd issues.

B

Glad you liked it. biggrin.gif Still feels like you give a mile and I give an inch, but I'll contribute as much as I can.

Regarding spybot... The other thing I like is they update the defintions pretty frequently and you can update/install them from within the program. Nice.

-Ben M.
Brad Roberts
Dont worry Ben... there is NO checkered flag for going that extra mile. You get the same effect by giving the inch.

This is a web based community. If you EVER run across something that can help these people with their computers... share it. I dont stay on top of the computer industry like I did 2 years ago.

B
GWN7
Thanks for the spybot link......Just ran it and it found 186 "problems". Now this puter works like it should.

beerchug.gif
Dave Cawdrey
Yea, man aktion035.gif Spy-bot rocks aktion035.gif
Curvie Roadlover
239 "problems" in this 'puter. Thanks, Ben
joea9146
Hi Ben:

I ran the spybot and cleaned up lots of junk both home and at work..

Thanks
airsix
QUOTE(joea9146 @ Apr 10 2003, 04:37 AM)
Hi Ben:

I ran the spybot and cleaned up lots of junk both home and at work..

Thanks

That's great. I'm glad it all worked out.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.