Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing accessory guages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomR
Hi I have a '73 914 that is having an engine upgrade. I am looking to add an oil temp, oil pressure & cylinder head temp guages to car. Was thinking of putting them where climate controls are on dash. Won't need the climate controls as car will be fair weather driver only, & all heat exchangers are being removed from exhaust. Are there any kits out there to do this? Or has anybody tried this before? Any help would be great!
william1764
QUOTE(TomR @ Aug 29 2010, 09:25 AM) *

Hi I have a '73 914 that is having an engine upgrade. I am looking to add an oil temp, oil pressure & cylinder head temp guages to car. Was thinking of putting them where climate controls are on dash. Won't need the climate controls as car will be fair weather driver only, & all heat exchangers are being removed from exhaust. Are there any kits out there to do this? Or has anybody tried this before? Any help would be great!

I don't know if a kit is available but as far as mounting goes AA has a nice 3 gauge under dash mount.
underthetire
Seen plenty of track cars like that. You will lose blower control for fresh air as well as the heat.

thomasotten
Im begining to really like my car without a console. But I have three VDO guages. I would like to see some photos of what club members have done, and where to get what from. As far as guage holders go, I think they run about $30. That seems a little high. Perhaps something from the VW world would work?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Are you aware the factory included the back half of the console wire harnes

in every 73. It can be found under the carpet between the seats. just plug a stock

console wireing harness in. You will have to run your own wireing for your CHT. As

to putting the gauges in the dash. I think that would look fubard . My 2 cents.

also you will need a Taco plate and the correct sender for your temp gauge.

There are 3 gauge under dash panels sold every where. If you use stock size

gauges that may be a problem finding a panel to fit. Dave slap.gif
jt914-6
In my street/track car I put some guages where the radio went. I made my own plate. I would leave the climate controls alone. If you put guages there you would have to have the fresh air open or closed depending on the time of year........

Click to view attachment
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 30 2010, 08:45 PM) *

In my street/track car I put some guages where the radio went. I made my own plate. I would leave the climate controls alone. If you put guages there you would have to have the fresh air open or closed depending on the time of year........

Click to view attachment

agree.gif I agree with above.....OR you could get one of those quad gauges from Marks that I am planning to do so soon.
underthetire
I like the A pillar gauge pods myself. Think Morph sells those.

yep
http://www.914ap.com/products.php
bugsy0
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Aug 30 2010, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 30 2010, 08:45 PM) *

agree.gif I agree with above.....OR you could get one of those quad gauges from Marks that I am planning to do so soon.

I went w/ Mark's gauges. Cost wasn't much more and you get super tidy results - beautiful. http://www.newvintageusa.com/bigmarkdesigngauges.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.