Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L-jet for 2056
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TargaToy
I had another topic going regarding my plan to build a 2056 from a spare 1.8 motor. Initially, I wanted to find out what was necessary to make my existing D-jet on my running 1.7 work with the future motor.

I learned that I need quite a few 2.0 D-jet components to make it work...and then from what I understand in reading Jake Raby's data on the 2056, I'll still max out at around 115 hp with the FI.

So if I were to revitalize the L-jet system from my spare car instead (a 1975 1.8), would it be possible to get the 120-125 hp a carb'd 2056 makes?

What tweaks exactly will be required to make the L-jet perform safely, and correctly? I have read that the fuel pressure may need to be raised. What are the other considerations and can they be handled by a competent DYI-er?

davesprinkle
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Aug 29 2010, 06:55 PM) *

I had another topic going regarding my plan to build a 2056 from a spare 1.8 motor. Initially, I wanted to find out what was necessary to make my existing D-jet on my running 1.7 work with the future motor.

I learned that I need quite a few 2.0 D-jet components to make it work...and then from what I understand in reading Jake Raby's data on the 2056, I'll still max out at around 115 hp with the FI.

So if I were to revitalize the L-jet system from my spare car instead (a 1975 1.8), would it be possible to get the 120-125 hp a carb'd 2056 makes?

What tweaks exactly will be required to make the L-jet perform safely, and correctly? I have read that the fuel pressure may need to be raised. What are the other considerations and can they be handled by a competent DYI-er?

The Ljet system would likely work pretty well with no changes. No need to increase fuel pressure or get bigger injectors. Just address all the standard Ljet problems: pay close attention to vacuum leaks, make sure the resistor leads aren't broken, make sure your dual relay is OK, get the injectors cleaned, verify ALL of the electrical connections on the engine loom. BTW, you should use the distribulator and fan from the 1.8liter car. (The 1.8liter fan has the timing mark in the correct place. If you use the Djet fan, the timing mark will be wrong.)
Bleyseng
Run the LJet but you will have to adjust the AFM after its all up and running if you build a 2056 with a Raby cam. The stock setting will be too lean!
HP you will max out at 115hp with the 9550 or 120 with his newer cam, forget using the carb cams as the Ljet won't like em. 115hp is plenty with smooth power....the Ljet FP must be used and the dizzy is nice too.
Jake Raby
Most of the time a 2056 with a 9550 cam and 8:1 will make in the neighborhood of 115HP as Bleyseng stated above. This is with stock 2.0 heads and no port work done to them.

The big difference isn't the HP, its the broad operating range, flat torque curve and all around increased performance.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We actually inherited a 2056 made out of a 1.8 Fat performance engine with a problem, took it completely apart, installed a stock cam and reinstalled the 1.8 fuel injection. Runs great has PLENTY of power (jake of course would not think so!!) , looks completely stock and gets good gas mileage!

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Aug 29 2010, 06:55 PM) *

Bleyseng
Thats the beauty of keeping the ljet as it looks totally stock..Fool your friends!
Use the Early style 2.0L HE's and a Bursch and you have a sleeper 1.8L/1.7L 914.

The flat torque curve is what you feel, smooth power as you rev up.
realred914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 30 2010, 01:47 AM) *

Run the LJet but you will have to adjust the AFM after its all up and running if you build a 2056 with a Raby cam. The stock setting will be too lean!
HP you will max out at 115hp with the 9550 or 120 with his newer cam, forget using the carb cams as the Ljet won't like em. 115hp is plenty with smooth power....the Ljet FP must be used and the dizzy is nice too.

what is the new cam like listed above, compaired to teh 9550 cam? I am int eh market for a big 2 liter rebuild will be running 2 liter D-jet is the plan wnat a ncie street car with decent mpg and power.

what are the trade offs between these two cams????

Jake, Bleyseng opinions on the two cams please????
Jake Raby
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 30 2010, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 30 2010, 01:47 AM) *

what is the new cam like listed above, compaired to teh 9550 cam? I am int eh market for a big 2 liter rebuild will be running 2 liter D-jet is the plan wnat a ncie street car with decent mpg and power.

what are the trade offs between these two cams????

Jake, Bleyseng opinions on the two cams please????

This isn't the place to answer this question..

If you have viewed my camshaft/ valvetrain presentation you'd know that **I** choose the best cam for your application based on a data sheet that you fill out after your camshaft is ordered.

I do things much differently than others, for a very good reason.
Bleyseng
If you want the best cam for your engine, fill out the forms and talk to Jake about your car....He will help you...

115hp and getting 30mpg is nice....
Drums66
...I like it! happy11.gif
love to have that 912-E wub.gif
sfspeed
Hello Everyone

Asking for some advice. I have a 74 1.8 L-jet running fine. Recently obtained a same year 2056 in a 1.8 case. Raby balanced, stock cam, hoffman heads. Wanted to transfer components from my existing engine to the 2056 and pray it works. Any advice? Would keeping my current injectors be ok or need to upgrade? Any more current advice or experience, as this thread is 10 years old, but probably remains relevant.

Thank you for your input.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(sfspeed @ Feb 3 2021, 02:09 PM) *

Hello Everyone

Asking for some advice. I have a 74 1.8 L-jet running fine. Recently obtained a same year 2056 in a 1.8 case. Raby balanced, stock cam, hoffman heads. Wanted to transfer components from my existing engine to the 2056 and pray it works. Any advice? Would keeping my current injectors be ok or need to upgrade? Any more current advice or experience, as this thread is 10 years old, but probably remains relevant.

Thank you for your input.

You will need bigger injectors... buy 4 injectors for a 1980 Datsun 280ZX. They have the right flow for this. I would also suggest that you do the bus throttle body mod you can find on here. The stock 1.8L Throttle body is a bit small for a 2056.

You will also need the 2.0 intake runners. The intake ports and head stud pattern are different between 2.0 Heads and 1.8 heads. The 2.0 runners are a bit shorter, but you can use longer hoses between the runners and the intake plenum.

Good luck!.

welcome.png

Clay
914Sixer
Just move the L-jet over the the 2056 and get it running per Clay's upgrades.
ClayPerrine
The directions on how to put a Vanagon throttle body on an L-Jet 914 are here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2105683

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.