Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Windshield Aluminium Trim Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
What's the best way to remove the windshield trim without bending or breaking any part of it.

Thanks Guys!!!

ED
rick 918-S
There are very few guys that can remove the windsheild trim without some limited damage. The 914 windsheild trim is the most fragile of all. I was in the bodyshop/resto bus for 20 years and even I can't guarantee zero damage. your best bet is to get a windsheild trim removal tool. Eastwood likely sells them. Hook the clips and becareful.
EdArango
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 29 2010, 07:08 PM) *

There are very few guys that can remove the windsheild trim without some limited damage. The 914 windsheild trim is the most fragile of all. I was in the bodyshop/resto bus for 20 years and even I can't guarantee zero damage. your best bet is to get a windsheild trim removal tool. Eastwood likely sells them. Hook the clips and becareful.

Wow! Rick....Thanks for the input. I'll be as careful as possible!!
cary
They're pretty soft. Just take your time. You should be able to reshape them to put them back on.
jim_hoyland
Ed,

There's a local glass guy in Orange County that has done a lot of 914s oer the years. He's probably your best bet, and he will come to you. I'e used him 5-6 times over the past fifteen years. He also installs windshield and rear windows at very resonable prices.

Company is L & R Glass, contact is Rufino
714-292-5811
IronHillRestorations
If it's been silicone'd in you won't remove it without bending it. Your FLAPS may have a trim tool, mine did.

The end of the tool looks like a big wide arrow point. You carefully work the tool in between the trim and the glass, and then work the "barb" of the arrow point between the trim and the plastic clips to lever it away from the clips, and the trim will lift upwards a little off the clip.

As Rick said, it's not easy!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(EdArango @ Aug 29 2010, 06:59 PM) *

What's the best way to remove the windshield trim without bending or breaking any part of it.

Thanks Guys!!!

ED

Many Ed, push a razor blade down between the trim and the frame cutting the plastic mounting clip peg and then the "stuff" just falls off. Usually however, the corners or top clip are loose anyway and after their removal, the larger pieces can be slid off, carefully of course. Even if slightly bent, it can easily be straightened.
carr914
Easy, do 130mph down the back straight of Sebring

Here I am coming in the Pits with about 70% of the trim gone

Click to view attachment

Oh Wait, you don't want it bent. Sorry I can't help you. The Corner Workers brought me back some of the most mangled up Aluminum I have ever seen. I will never use the trim again. I intend to use the rubber trim that is somewhat like the 911's

T.C.
iamchappy
I was able to work a plastic zip tie under the trim and shimmy it pulling up on it at the clips as i got to them and pop the trim as i went - support the trim with your hand as you go so when it does pop you dont bend up the trim, the only damage to the trim is underside were the clip hooks into which gets pulled out a bit (not visible from above) but was easily bent back with a paddle nose pliers.

I bought one of those trim removers all it did was chip and cup the edge of the windshield glass and feared it would break it. If there is a technique to using one i couldn't figure it out, i found it very hard to hook the point of the tool in between the clip and the trim.
IronHillRestorations
Thanks for the tip George! I like the idea of just writing off the clips and cutting right through them.
Mikey914
I have the tool I've been selling for $12, but I bet you could find a mamber here that would loan you one. Heck, I'll loan you one, but the shipping winds up being about $10 round trip.

Just let me know, but why buy clips if you don't have to?
Bartlett 914
George has the right idea. My concern is the blade being strong enough. I used a sharpened putty knife. and drove it down next to the clip. I them hammered it sideways and cut the clip. This will damage paint so it not best for all situations.
iamchappy
The right idea only if your are planing on removing the windshield and replacing the clips. The Zip tie worked well for me.
MoveQik
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 30 2010, 04:29 PM) *

Easy, do 130mph down the back straight of Sebring

Mine came off in similar fashion. I only had to do 70 on the freeway. Worked just as well as your idea but not nearly as fun to tell the story. smile.gif
biosurfer1
Mine too...heading back from Santa Cruz going 80mph on 680 and all of a sudden it whips off and hits my hand, which was hanging out the window....about scared the crap out of me.
iamchappy
I guess a leaf blower or compressed air blow off tool maybe the easiest way.
bulitt
Saw the razor blade trick mentioned by McMark and I see in this thread George also mentioned it.

Worked perfect, zero damage to the trim.

Insert the blade over the plastic retainer

Click to view attachment

Tap down with a hammer

Click to view attachment

Clip breaks and trim lifts right off.

Mikey914
The razor trick is only good if you plan to replace the clips.
Jeffs9146
agree.gif

I have been using the razor blade for years and it works great!
John1180
dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.