Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Got to ride in a DC-3 Saturday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
One of the coolest things I have ever done. It was parked at Stearman Field by my house for the last few weeks (came here right after Oshkosh). I go there for breakfast in the 914 a lot.

Click to view attachment
realred914
ccol, I got to ride in a B-17 once, that was cool, hanging out in the bombers nose or in the turret playing shooting dwon nazis and japs, bang bang bang. them old plans are way cool. friend of mine pilots a DC-3 for a living as a missionary/relief worker. one of his planes is a WWII combat veteren! they have both the original radial engine planes, and some re-engined turboprop DC-3 (much eiaser to get fuel in out of the way places for the turbo props, rather than teh high test needed for the radial psiton engines)

one way cool place for old planes is the pima ari museum in Tucson AZ, look up the website from them, real eye candy of planes.

neat tail lights! you got clear lenses? where you get them? I assume you have red and amber light bulbs in there????
underthetire
That must have been very cool. I always wanted to go up in a WW2 plane.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 30 2010, 11:09 AM) *

neat tail lights! you got clear lenses? where you get them? I assume you have red and amber light bulbs in there????

All LEDS - red and white - no amber (original lenses were all red - USA spec with clear for back-up). I took it to the local Police station and asked them if it was "legal" and they said it looked good to them.
realred914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 30 2010, 09:13 AM) *

All LEDS - red and white - no amber (original lenses were all red - USA spec with clear for back-up). I took it to the local Police station and asked them if it was "legal" and they said it looked good to them.

nice LEDS!!! where did you get the clear lenses???? or are there none on the car? any close up photos of this modification?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 30 2010, 11:10 AM) *

That must have been very cool. I always wanted to go up in a WW2 plane.

This is my next ride -

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 30 2010, 11:13 AM) *

I should add that all cars should have red reflectors on them in all states.... I don't unless the "PORSCHE" reflector counts!
Eric_Shea
Cool, mid-engine, air cooled... flies... why would this be considered "WOT"??? biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 30 2010, 12:07 PM) *

Cool, mid-engine, air cooled... flies... why would this be considered "WOT"??? biggrin.gif

Good Point Eric. I might even have a picture of one on jackstands....
bembry
Lufthansa offers historic rides in a beautiful old Junkers Ju-52 Tri-motor throughout summer in Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wROcN2oJNvE...feature=related
realred914
I seen some pretty rusty old planes. wont ride in them, unlike the rusty 914s. why is that????

funny I seen a radial engine pop a cuylinder head /barrel right thru the cowling when teh piston siezed in the cylinder, popped the head and barrel right thru the aluminum cowling like a giant metal punch. that plane never flew again. seen it at Pima museum.
stepuptotheMike
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 30 2010, 11:48 AM) *

One of the coolest things I have ever done. It was parked at Stearman Field by my house for the last few weeks (came here right after Oshkosh). I go there for breakfast in the 914 a lot.

Click to view attachment

I was Airborne when I was in the Army and fortunate in my time to get to jump out of some really cool aircraft. High up on that list was a DC-3 back in 1996. It was really cool to jump static line at 800 ft agl with combat equipment out of that old bird. Very sentimental jump.

flag.gif

Mike
EdwardBlume
Cool airplane! You're living the life Mike![size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1]
Kansas 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 30 2010, 04:31 PM) *

Cool airplane! You're living the life Mike![size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1]

Cropped to show more 914 (and DC-3). Herpa (Germany) makes miniature models. They do have Porsche - but of course no 914s...

http://www.herpa.de/collect/(S(a52fvk45cne...eller_e=Porsche

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
Here is a photo of a BMW that was out there that morning...

The guy has 3 of these Isetta's - very cool. This one is "customised"...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
DC-3 was also known as the Goony Bird. The plane was a lot more powerful than most people think. A real work horse from the early 1930's up to the 1950's.
plas76targa
My favorite airplane! Flying in the right or left seat, I don't care, is on my 'bucket list'.
I read there were 37 DC-3's at Oshkosh this year! Thanks for sharing your fun!
Krieger
I love these airplanes. They fly like a dream...smooth, comfortable and very stable. I spent 8 months bringing one back from the dead when I was working at Chino fixing old warbirds. flag.gif
pete-stevers
this should be merged with the airplane thread in the sandbox aktion035.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...52&hl=plane
Cap'n Krusty
Possibly the first type of airplane I ever flew on, maybe 1951 or '52. Never forget it. I was able to fly a few missions on the AC version while I was in Viet Nam. In fact, one of the images in my current gallery exhibit is of a Spooky over the Delta.

The Cap'n
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 30 2010, 08:12 PM) *

Possibly the first type of airplane I ever flew on, maybe 1951 or '52. Never forget it. I was able to fly a few missions on the AC version while I was in Viet Nam. In fact, one of the images in my current gallery exhibit is of a Spooky over the Delta.

The Cap'n

People forget that the DC-3 (or C-47 or AC-47) saw service in Viet Nam.

Spooky and Puff the Magic Dragon are famous for waht they did! It is an amazing airplane!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Aug 30 2010, 06:51 PM) *

My favorite airplane! Flying in the right or left seat, I don't care, is on my 'bucket list'.
I read there were 37 DC-3's at Oshkosh this year! Thanks for sharing your fun!

This bird led them all in - the owner organized the fly-in. It is the 75 anniversary of the DC-3 and it was very special to have them at Oshkosh.

On my flight the owner flew right seat and let a local guy fly left seat the entire flight. The local guy is a Stearman pilot and said the DC-3 flies like any other plane. I can't tell you some of the stufff we did (bound to secrecy - in case the FAA is monitoring this!)

If you have your pilot's license the owner of this DC-3 with certify you in 2 days in the DC-3. One day he gets you to multi-engine rating and the next day - you get the DC-3 stamp on your license... All for only $5950.

It was a chance in a lifetime to do it - and it was only a few miles from my house. Some people travel 1/2 way across the country to do what I got to do right in my backyard. I wouldn't have even known about if Mary Shortridge hadn't given me the heads up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.