Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original washer system (spare tire)--who uses it still?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bembry
Does anyone still have their original 914/4 windshield washer system working?

Did anyone "resurrect" theirs from disrepair? If so, how difficult was it to fix?

Do these work worth a damn when they do work?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
They work great and the usual failure is the tubing. Typical to wet ones lap when they fail.. Tubing is readily available as are the rest of the parts one may need. Just inflate the tire to 36 lbs The system will stop working when the tire pressure reaches around 29

QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 30 2010, 12:47 PM) *

Did anyone "resurrect" theirs from disrepair? If so, how difficult was it to fix?

tradisrad
I've never had a working one, but my current car may be easy to get to get going!
underthetire
I know all my pieces are still in there, but with the 5 lug inflatable kinda useless for me.
Spoke
Yep, mine works just fine. I only need it one time each year when I get the car inspected. I usually just put a little water in it and don't connect it to the spare.
windforfun
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Aug 30 2010, 01:02 PM) *

I've never had a working one, but my current car may be easy to get to get going!

Ditto. Ditto.

sunglasses.gif sunglasses.gif
tradisrad
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 30 2010, 01:19 PM) *

Ditto. Ditto.

Wind,
Where in San Mateo do you live? I am in the Highlands.
-Rob
windforfun
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Aug 30 2010, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 30 2010, 01:19 PM) *

Ditto. Ditto.

Wind,
Where in San Mateo do you live? I am in the Highlands.
-Rob

Up top on Hillsdale Blvd.

Drums66
laugh.gif poke.gif

(group buy anyone!)
Krieger
Is there anyone out there that sands down their windshields with the wipers/squirters when the windshield is that dirty? Maybe I just don't need them in sunny Cali, but I know that glass is pricy.
davep
I developed a holder for a switch to replace the valve. That way you could use a pump, and eliminate a fluid line from coming into the cabin.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 30 2010, 12:51 PM) *

They work great and the usual failure is the tubing. Typical to wet ones lap when they fail.. Tubing is readily available as are the rest of the parts one may need. Just inflate the tire to 36 lbs The system will stop working when the tire pressure reaches around 29

QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 30 2010, 12:47 PM) *

agree.gif

Brent - it is the K.I.S.S. system to perfection, plus it gives you a "warning signal" to check the spare pressure & inflate when they don't work! biggrin.gif

The hoses can break with either the spare air pressure or 914-6's electric motor driven pressure - as well as the plastic water bottle can crack over time (same with any car), but check & sop-up/dry-out any leakage completely to avoid future rust problems in the sheet metal etc.

I'd recco putting in all new hoses - including to the steering column at the wiper stalk switch & maybe the T-fitting & cowl jets/valves too on the cowl (chrome type for 73 still available PP, AA, Peli, SMG, etc.), then pressure test the bottle & all the fittings. You may have to save & re-use the connectors at the tire valve stem, bottle & the joiner at the F-trunk bulkhead, cuz IIRC they are NLA - but the hoses can be changed. Also, I've only seen the clear hose, but mine is the black, but don't know if black is still available.

Word of warning - I figured out that's what happened with mine to rust out the lower pan at the pass. steering cross-member strut attachment point - right under where the water bottle sits, & I had a cracked bottle replaced at one point.

Good Luck getting it going again! beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
I just tested mine (with distilled water), and it still works just fine. No leaks, no damp laps.

But....I will replace to 38 year old tubing, just in case.
Pat
whatabout1
What spare ? Ya mean that old tire and rim with only 4 bolts holes ? It was in
the way of the oil cooler venting. Not running LeMans, don't need it.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(whatabout1 @ Aug 30 2010, 07:29 PM) *

What spare ? Ya mean that old tire and rim with only 4 bolts holes ? It was in
the way of the oil cooler venting. Not running LeMans, don't need it.

Trust me...yes you will!
nsr-jamie
I finally got my working after 15 years of having no windshield washer...I had to change the switch and than all the hoses...than I kept blowing off hoses at the switch and had water pouring out from under the dash...I fixed it with some racing safety wire from some of my motorcycles and that seems to work well, while you are at it check your (check) valves in the line, don't pull out any hoses till you have the new ones strongly attached and be very careful, its not that big of a job if you do it right the first time....my system actually works quite nice now and I need it for the bi-annual inspections here in Japan. Cheers
underthetire
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 30 2010, 05:17 PM) *

I developed a holder for a switch to replace the valve. That way you could use a pump, and eliminate a fluid line from coming into the cabin.

I like that piece. I was thinking the same thing IF i ever get around to doing the conversion. Got prints? or do you sell the piece? looks like you did it on a 3D printer, I have access to one...
davep
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 31 2010, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Aug 30 2010, 05:17 PM) *

I like that piece. I was thinking the same thing IF i ever get around to doing the conversion. Got prints? or do you sell the piece? looks like you did it on a 3D printer, I have access to one...

Yes, I can sell a kit.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

In 2000 when I bought my 914 ,windshield washer didn't work. Will I thought I

would fix that. I put fluid in the bottle air in the spare and vola it worked. The

next day it didn't. Checked no air presure in spare, took it to the tire shop, leaked

all around the bead. They took in apart and dumped at least a Gal. of fix a flat

out of it. Cleaned the rim real good ,put the tire back on vola it held air. That

was the first of the crappy repairs the previous ( POS owner ) did.

All part of the 914 mistique. Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.