Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screw Royal Purple
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steveherman
I was inquiring about the ZDDP parts per million.
They would not give out that info.
I understand trade secrets and such but we should be told certain aspects that help us decide which products to purchase.
Tom
Sounds like they screwed themselves, as least as far as you are concerned.
Anyway, Brad Penn is the better oil for our cars.
Tom
pcar916
QUOTE(steveherman @ Aug 30 2010, 12:24 PM) *

They would not give out that info.

agree.gif Brad Penn seems to be the answer, although you can still add ZDDP to any oil.

Here's a good discussion about it back when all of the flack started.

http://blog.sfrcorp.com/2007/10/15/zddp-in-additives/ and another...

http://www.zddpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.p...c1fb707d97f981f

It's a touchy subject since the EPA mandate flat-out ruined a bunch of cars.
steveherman
Yeah they screwed the pooch in my eyes.
i used to use it in my hayabusa.
i sold the bike.
I will not use them again.

The ONLY reason i was considering using RP is it is more readily available.

So it will be Brad Penn now
EdwardBlume
Screw Royal Purple? screwy.gif

Oh, figuratively!!! lol-2.gif

904svo
Some information about 914 and ZZDp.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
Jake Raby
Royal Purple went down hill as soon as it became more readily available.. I used it in my 160,000 mile 912E engine that provided no-fail service over 8 years.

The data you are looking for is easy to get, not even from them.

BUT its not just ZDDP that matters, its the entire oil base stock and additive package. Some zinc is also more active than other and don't discount the moly, sulphur and phosphorous content either.

We've learned this over 5 years of developing our own oil especially for the aircooled engine..
Click to view attachment
steveherman
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2010, 05:16 PM) *

i looked for your oil jake at http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/.
i did not see it there.
Availibility? Price?
PeeGreen 914
I always thought "Snake Oil" was referred to as a treatment of sorts that was bogus or fake.

Why would you name your oil after that?

(not trying to bash as I am just curious)
Jake Raby
QUOTE(steveherman @ Aug 30 2010, 02:38 PM) *

i did not see it there.
Availibility? Price?

I just released the fact that we had this product completed two weeks ago.
It is now being used in our engines for both break in and street service as well as race applications.

I plan on only selling it to the general public after we have at least a year or so of testimonial and comparatives from these customers and their engines to substantiate the claims. I also have a fleet of 14 test vehicles attaining the final used oil analysis from the latest formulations currently. We only need to finish one more product and build the website for it before going live, sometime in 2011..

I do have a handful of beta testers out there running it as well, in engines from 80-625HP. You can learn all about it on my forums.
steveherman
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 30 2010, 05:48 PM) *

I always thought "Snake Oil" was referred to as a treatment of sorts that was bogus or fake.

i wondered the same thing..but was afraid to ask.
dont wanna piss anyone off.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 30 2010, 02:48 PM) *

Thats the entire reason I did it.. No one else was crazy enough to do it.

On top of that the logo goes back 20 years with my company as the first logo I ever had, so the two really just ironically occurred.. A full explanation of the logo and name are in my community forums on the lubrication forum.

Oh well, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread!! Royal Purple proved its self to me but unfortunately that oil has changed since my first experiences with it.
SLITS
Royal Purple is obscene in pricing ....

So I bought Valvoline Racing VR1 as I am out of Brad Penn at the moment.

I also throw in a little Lucas 'cause I can.

You'll see Jake's covered wagon in small towns near you .... biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Here is the back side of the break in oil bottle.. That really is my great, great Grandpa!

Click to view attachment

It was probably even used here once upon a time...
IPB Image

Or maybe at the hardware store...IPB Image

It still operates today, 125 years later! In the same building!!

IPB Image

Sorry guys, with all the questions I couldn't help but have some fun.. My entire family thinks that its seriously cool!

Of course the final label will have a disclaimer that the recipe isn't that old and didn't come from my Grandpa... Its actually very, very modern...

This way when someone bitches about me selling "Snake oil" again they'll actually be advertising for me :-)
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2010, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 30 2010, 02:48 PM) *

Thats the entire reason I did it.. No one else was crazy enough to do it.

On top of that the logo goes back 20 years with my company as the first logo I ever had, so the two really just ironically occurred.. A full explanation of the logo and name are in my community forums on the lubrication forum.

Oh well, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread!! Royal Purple proved its self to me but unfortunately that oil has changed since my first experiences with it.

Cool beerchug.gif
ArtechnikA
There's already a lubricant called Snake Oil.
Careful about the trademark issues.
It's a light, NSF-approved machine oil sold to the gunny crowd mostly (at least, that's where I've seen it marketed...)
Jake Raby
Already been in contact with them, they don't have an issue with the name or logo..
SLITS
Pretty cool Jake.

And I do really like the name.

It would be hilarious to tell someone you run "Snake Oil". flag.gif
Zardozz
Oh, that's hot.
championgt1
The old pictures and the history behind it is very cool! smilie_pokal.gif
r3dplanet
What? Exactly how do testimonials substantiate claims? Testimonials are only opinion and belief.

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2010, 02:48 PM) *

i did not see it there.
Availibility? Price?

It is now being used in our engines for both break in and street service as well as race applications.

I plan on only selling it to the general public after we have at least a year or so of testimonial and comparatives from these customers and their engines to substantiate the claims. I also have a fleet of 14 test vehicles attaining the final used oil analysis from the latest formulations currently. We only need to finish one more product and build the website for it before going live, sometime in 2011..

I do have a handful of beta testers out there running it as well, in engines from 80-625HP. You can learn all about it on my forums.

Jake Raby
Basically I want plenty of users that have ran a different oil to see what this oil does for their temps, pressures and used oil analysis before it is sold to those outside our network.
One thing that a couple of the offerings have built into them is the ability to withstand extreme temperatures without losing a gross percentage of oil pressure, especially at low RPM. This is something that Brad Penn doesn't do very well and that's why we see some complaints about low oil pressures from time to time.

A testimonial may only be an opinion, but it's a direct, first hand opinion that includes a comparative. That's the Kim of thing that money can't buy for a new product that we know works, but others may believe is just marketing hype. It very hard to argue with results gathered by first hand users.
jt914-6
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2010, 08:55 PM) *

Already been in contact with them, they don't have an issue with the name or logo..

Do you have that in writing???.....no, I'm not a lawyer..... barf.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 31 2010, 04:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2010, 08:55 PM) *

Do you have that in writing???.....no, I'm not a lawyer..... barf.gif

It will be.

It also appears that their trademark isn't just the name "snake oil". I may end up changing the name slightly, I have someone working on the trademark now, the pic I posted of the bottle is the prototype needed for trademark purposes.. Expect it to change a bit.
realred914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2010, 02:48 PM) *

i did not see it there.
Availibility? Price?

Mr. Raby: so brad penn oil is no longer the raby standard oil anymore, and now it is snake oil that you use.??? I am a bit confused, is this stuff (snake oil) real and your not using or planning to not use brad penn anymore, or is this some joke lable you made up?
underthetire
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 31 2010, 03:38 AM) *

Basically I want plenty of users that have ran a different oil to see what this oil does for their temps, pressures and used oil analysis before it is sold to those outside our network.
One thing that a couple of the offerings have built into them is the ability to withstand extreme temperatures without losing a gross percentage of oil pressure, especially at low RPM. This is something that Brad Penn doesn't do very well and that's why we see some complaints about low oil pressures from time to time.

A testimonial may only be an opinion, but it's a direct, first hand opinion that includes a comparative. That's the Kim of thing that money can't buy for a new product that we know works, but others may believe is just marketing hype. It very hard to argue with results gathered by first hand users.

Send me 3 qts and i'll do a testimonial. I know at exactly what temp I start loosing oil pressure at. biggrin.gif
realred914
Mr raby: is the new oil you are using really the snake oil you show or is that some joke label you made up? if you using or going to be useing your own new oil, what are the diffeciences of the brad penn oil that you find?

it is not clear if this is a joke oil you have posted or you are really branding your own special oil that is better than brad penn.

please clarify?

thanks
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 31 2010, 01:15 PM) *

Mr raby: is the new oil you are using really the snake oil you show or is that some joke label you made up? if you using or going to be useing your own new oil, what are the diffeciences of the brad penn oil that you find?

it is not clear if this is a joke oil you have posted or you are really branding your own special oil that is better than brad penn.

please clarify?

thanks

As Jake stated multiple times here and in other threads; Snake Oil is no joke! Although I'm sure he'll clarify that for you himself... biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
Cool pictures and history! aktion035.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Nürburg Nomad @ Aug 31 2010, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 31 2010, 01:15 PM) *

please clarify?

thanks

As Jake stated multiple times here and in other threads; Snake Oil is no joke! Although I'm sure he'll clarify that for you himself... biggrin.gif

No, it is not a joke... Not in the slightest

I don't want to totally hijack this thread by describing the differences in the products, the differences are posted in my forums.. Go there and read or post a thread there asking these questions.

If Brad Penn changes for the worst we won't recommend it any longer, until that time Brad Penn will remain an authorized oil along with Snake Oil. Brad Penn isn't developed specifically for aircooled engines, Snake Oil is. I also went over the details in my latest Aircooled Technology Radio Show available on Itunes tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.