Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard to start when hot...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmtrnavsky
I don't do a lot of short trips in my 914, so this kind of snuck up on me... The cat cranks hard and starts good when cold... A little sputtering in the first minute or so but then it runs REALLY solid. When the car is hot it turns over hard, but doesn't want to start... If you turn it over for about 15 seconds and give it some gas it comes to life then runs perfect... Any Ideas?

It's a basically stock 73 2.0. It has brand new fuel lines, fuel filter, and the pump moved up front now... I also have the hot start relay installed. Like I said... runs awesome, just wont start hot.
Tom
Do a search for hard to start after warm/hot. Just answered this a couple of weeks ago. If you can't find it, PM me.
Tom
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Maybe a bit too rich due to a leaking air pressure sensor? POINTS closed??

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Aug 30 2010, 01:56 PM) *

I don't do a lot of short trips in my 914, so this kind of snuck up on me... The cat cranks hard and starts good when cold... A little sputtering in the first minute or so but then it runs REALLY solid. When the car is hot it turns over hard, but doesn't want to start... If you turn it over for about 15 seconds and give it some gas it comes to life then runs perfect... Any Ideas?

It's a basically stock 73 2.0. It has brand new fuel lines, fuel filter, and the pump moved up front now... I also have the hot start relay installed. Like I said... runs awesome, just wont start hot.

Tom
Found it.
For a fuel injected car this is a common problem in very hot weather (on some cars, not all). I have had it and finally got an answer from Brad Anders.
When it is hot out the engine gets really warm. Then you shut it off for a while ( 10-15 minutes or so) and it doesn't want to start. The cylinder head temp sensor in the head controls the richness of the mixture for the injectors. The core of the engine( barrels, pistons, and case) cools off much slower than the heads. Since the heads are cooling more quickly, the cht thinks the engine needs a richer mixture, hense no fire up.
A solution on very warm days is this, when you first get in the car, put the gas pedal to the floor. Then try to start. Putting the pedal to the floor after turning on the key will cause a extra rich first injector pulse for the injectors' It works for me.
Tom
bmtrnavsky
George... I have a Petronics so it shouldn't be points... I don't even know what the Air pressure Sensor is much less how to test it...

Tom, I found your thread from a few weeks ago... It looks like we have a similar setup and problem. (We also live really close.) I'm going to try the put the pedal to the floor thing before you crank it solution and see if that helps.

I saw some other people say it could be the coil and mine looks pretty old (Bosch blue Coil) Maybe I'll get a new one in the future. Some people also suggested the ignition switch, but mine is new (about 18 months).
Kirmizi
If it's turning over fine, chances are it's not the ignition switch.
I'd try holding down the gas pedal to start whenever it's hot, bet it works
Mike
swl
check the resistance values on your CHT. Hot and Cold.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(swl @ Aug 30 2010, 05:13 PM) *

What is a CHT?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 30 2010, 02:11 PM) *

A solution on very warm days is this, when you first get in the car, put the gas pedal to the floor. Then try to start. Putting the pedal to the floor after turning on the key will cause a extra rich first injector pulse for the injectors' It works for me.
Tom

agree.gif

Actually it is the procedure for ALL DAYS with the stock D-jet - the owner's manual says that is the starting procedure hot, cold, any weather!
... on page 18 or so for the 73 MY manual IIRC, I'm not home so can't check.

Pedal to the floor, hold & crank until it starts (max. 20-30 secs. cranking for common sense, then retry). I don't know if your Pertronix affects that, but this was the factory starting procedure, but it appears a lot of folks are either missing or never read their owners manuals, then assume that this early EFI works the same as later ones.

Can a 914 D-jet start without the above method - yes, often - but it's not the recco! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Aug 30 2010, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(swl @ Aug 30 2010, 05:13 PM) *

What is a CHT?

Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor - part of the sensor system for the EFI's ECU to regulate operation based on engine operating temp.

- CHTS is a more apt abbrev. & more fun to say it like "shitz" lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.