Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach needle that jumps...sometimes...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ok, so I am new to 914 ownership, but not to Porsche ownership. I seem to have discovered an interesting issue. The tach needle sometimes just starts "bouncing". Does not seem to be related to any other maneuvers - braking, lights, etc...

Any thoughts?
Sleepin
Loose or dirty connection on the coil. Or loose or dity connection on the back of the gauge.

Oh, and welcome.png
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Dirty points or bad tach ballest. Replace the points and condenser, reset the dwell and the timing. If the needle still bounces, replace the tach with a nice rebuilt one

QUOTE(1972914 @ Aug 31 2010, 02:00 PM) *

Ok, so I am new to 914 ownership, but not to Porsche ownership. I seem to have discovered an interesting issue. The tach needle sometimes just starts "bouncing". Does not seem to be related to any other maneuvers - braking, lights, etc...

Any thoughts?

SirAndy
Also check the bottom of the relay board for cracks. The pass-through rivets can brake lose from the solder and create all kinds of intermittent electrical issues, including a bouncing tach ...

bye1.gif Andy
Thanks guys
I'll check it out.
Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.