Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mahle oil filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
I always get the Mahle oil filter from the same place, called today and the nooby (nice guy trying hard and learning) doesn't have a listing for anything 914, the old guy who looks after me is on vacation. What is the number of the Mahle oil filter? What other vehicles does the filter fit, ie. SuperBeetle, or something so the young man can crossreference.

Any hints on easily installing the cable that operates the heat flappers??
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Aug 31 2010, 03:16 PM) *

I always get the Mahle oil filter from the same place, called today and the nooby (nice guy trying hard and learning) doesn't have a listing for anything 914, the old guy who looks after me is on vacation. What is the number of the Mahle oil filter? What other vehicles does the filter fit, ie. SuperBeetle, or something so the young man can crossreference.

Importers regularly substitute brands to suppliers. Be sure to specify that you want Mahle. We stock Mahle Bosch and Mann, all under the same part number!!!
steveherman
OC 28 for the 4cyl
OC 61 for the 6cyl
Ian Stott
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 31 2010, 07:36 PM) *

Importers regularly substitute brands to suppliers. Be sure to specify that you want Mahle. We stock Mahle Bosch and Mann, all under the same part number!!!

Actually called you this morning and your guy was very helpful, he went to look at one to get the number but said you were out(not like gone to lunch but out of the Mahle's)!

Ian Stott
dr914@autoatlanta.com
That was probably our blind parts salesman Ian.

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Aug 31 2010, 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 31 2010, 07:36 PM) *

Actually called you this morning and your guy was very helpful, he went to look at one to get the number but said you were out(not like gone to lunch but out of the Mahle's)!

Ian Stott

Cap'n Krusty
Fits 914, 912E, T2 from MY 1972-1983, 411/412 from 1969-1974. VW part number 021 115 351A, Mahle part number OC 28.

The Cap'n
Ian Stott
Thank you Cap'n that will help him upgrade his database.
George I had just got an order from you but I forgot to add a couple of filters to it, would have prevented all this but then again I wouldn't have found out what other vehicles they are used on. Thanks to you both for chiming in.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
type47
In the Parts Vault: smile.gif http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=107046
Mark Henry
A bit more expensive, but your local VW dealer should have it in stock.
Cap'n Krusty
I dunno about your local VW dealer, but mine doesn't stock parts for a 2005 vehicle, much less one that went out of production 17 years ago. They have to "special order" everything ........

The Cap'n
Ian Stott
Lordy,lordy, please someone come up here and stop me from going postal!! Went to pick up the mahle they had in stock after I gave them the number and when I got there it was a kneght, I tried hard to stay polite and said oh well at least it is made in Germany so the quality should there. It's the same thing buddy says, just cheaper, at this point I bit my tongue, paid and left. Looking at the box at supper time I thought it seemed a little light so I opened it and it is a cartridge type like the Benz takes! I will go back tomorrow, hopefully get a refund and go buy a Napa gold! George if you read this please send an oil filter every time I order something whether I ask you or not, hmmmmmm that is not a bad idea to maybe have a prompt when we contact you for something, or would that get to annoying. Anyway I'm trying to calm down, not changing my oil til next weekend thank goodness, imagine the anger when you open that box and it is the wrong filter and you have just drained the oil and maybe tossed the old one which you now have to retrieve and reuse. I will never be without a proper oil filter again!!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Mark Henry
The 2 local (to me) dealerships here seem to always have them.

Another Canadian source is http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/...cat=&page=1
McMark
NAPA Gold is made by Wix and is a good filter if you can't get the others.
TheCabinetmaker
I just got thru rebuilding an engine with a wix oil filter installed. It was clogged full of crap! Use nothing but a Mahle or Mann. Accept NO subsitutes! Just my 2 cents worth.
McMark
Uh.... isn't the filters job to get clogged full of crap and keep it from going through the motor? blink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Yep! And burn it up in the process.
type47
What about Bosch filters?
realred914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 2 2010, 04:39 AM) *

Yep! And burn it up in the process.

i take it the bypass failed if the filter clogged and stopped flowing the by pass is supposed to allow flow around a clog. one more reason to have an oil pressure gage. at least you will be able to catch these probelms.

word is the standard 914 filter is discountinied my mahle. there is now a shorter version (which is nice for thoose that install a sandwhich adaptor for a cooler mahle makes a shorter one now.
Cap'n Krusty
Mann/Knecht, Mahle, Hengst. All good, all OE in German cars. Most Bosch oil filters sold in the US, but not all, are made in the US by a contract supplier, and do not fare well in comparative testing.

Of course, you have to get the right filter before any of this matters ..................

The Cap'n
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2010, 10:58 AM) *

Most Bosch oil filters sold in the US, but not all, are made in the US by a contract supplier, and do not fare well in comparative testing.

If they're made by Fram then they are truly stromberg.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.