Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yay, My clutch works!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif dancinnanner.gif rocking nana.gif mueba.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
smilie_pokal.gif smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif
beerchug.gif
ripper911
The pressure plate was machined too much.

It works great now! driving.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 31 2010, 03:32 PM) *

It sure is ashamed that you had to go through all of that agony first though. You are the man probably can now do a 914 clutch job in 45 minutes!

These days the clutch parts are so old and have been machined so many times that they have about had it. Especially the flywheels! Too bad because new flywheels are very very expensive and always take a beating when the 914 clutch starts to slip.

SLITS
Yeah George, and your people should have measured before they cut it to see if it was in proper spec .... PERIOD!

brant
glad it is fixed....
glad you hung in there

ripper911
beerchug.gif
I'm just glad they helped me out.
I'm sure it's not the first time a shop has cut a piece wrong.

I went over and saw George and went through everything over the weekend.
He said it had to be something in the mechanism and to bring it back.
So I did and he looked at everything and found the pressure plate to be out of spec. mad.gif

So, I got the new part along with other things I'd need to put it all back together one last time and I am happy! clap56.gif

I did buy the kit with rebuilt parts instead of springing for new parts... smoke.gif
race914
Way to go!

Here's to a successful project! beerchug.gif
JamesM
I had the exact same issue with mine a couple years ago. After pulling out the tranny(and all my hair) 4 times I learned my lesson....

Never use a "rebuilt" pressure plate

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 31 2010, 02:32 PM) *

Cap'n Krusty
Lemme get this clear. THE PRESSURE PLATE WAS MACHINED TOO MUCH? Who machines pressure plates? And if it was actually the flywheel, not the pressure plate, any professional machinist with the slightest bit of Porsche experience should know how to machine a 914 flywheel, as well as how to determine whether to save it or throw it away.

The Cap'n
computers4kids
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 31 2010, 03:41 PM) *

Yeah George, and your people should have measured before they cut it to see if it was in proper spec .... PERIOD!

I have to agree agree.gif with Ron on this one. No excuse for a professional bus. to send a flywheel out of specs to a customer...no excuse. Sorry to say, but that's why we buy parts from reputable places...so you don't have to guess whether a newly machined part has been taken down too much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.