Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just a reminder for everyone to be safe out there.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
Some of this is disturbing to watch, and most of the video clips are real.

Unsafe Driving Video
jsayre914
after watching that,

i actually feel better about my jakstands barf.gif

thanks for sharing
JmuRiz
Yep, those British PSAs are quite graphic...they make their point though. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
JRust
Shit! One of my daughters just got her permit. I'm supposed to take her to drive tonight for the first time blink.gif . Maybe we can wait until another night. That is downright scary
SLITS
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 31 2010, 06:40 PM) *

Shit! One of my daughters just got her permit. I'm supposed to take her to drive tonight for the first time blink.gif . Maybe we can wait until another night. That is downright scary

Teach them well and don't bash. I patiently explained to my son and two daughters to be very watchful and if they felt like doing something stupid I would miss them when they died as I loved them very much. Taught them to be "aware" at all times 'cause someone was looking to take them out.

I expected some errors. Roll down a hill in an ice storm (son). #1 daughter backed out in front of a moving car sideswipe. #3 daughter got rear-ended real bad. Not to bad anyway.

All three are alive and none the worse for the wear and they ARE safe drivers.
Dr Evil
Love it. Except for the VW bus that gets smashed towards the end sad.gif
John
That's by far the worst stuff I have ever seen.

Worse than the live beheading video I once saw.

icon8.gif

ELLIOTT
my oldest wants to drive......I really dont want to show this vid. to him ,but it makes a point,...... I am feeling uneasy
Cambo
Can I get on the soap box for a sec? I've been a firefighter paramedic for the last 14 years and I've seen way too much of that video in person. Our society puts a lot of importance on the "safe sex" talk. If everything goes wrong, you have an unexpected life on your hands. There's very little importance on the "safe driving" talk. If everything goes wrong you have dead people on your hands, sometimes several dead people.

We try to shield our young ones from the unpleasant things in life (myself included). This is one topic you don't want to avoid with your young ones. When it's permit or license time, make sure they know what's at stake.

O.K. Stepping down from soap box now.....
PeeGreen 914
sad.gif Wow, I had a hard time through that. My girlfriend was in the car with me when I hit ice back when I was 19. She died on impact and I should have died as well. That accident is really and truely what has made me be the driver I am today. Please do be very careful out there. There is a time and place to be aggressive. On the track they teach to look as far ahead as you can. Same applies to the street. LOOK AHEAD.
TROJANMAN
I have 2 kids, ride a bike on the streets, and drive a 40 year old sports car, and have volunteered time on an ambulance: This video seemed a little too real. PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings.
RFoulds
QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 31 2010, 09:29 PM) *

Can I get on the soap box for a sec? I've been a firefighter paramedic for the last 14 years and I've seen way too much of that video in person. Our society puts a lot of importance on the "safe sex" talk. If everything goes wrong, you have an unexpected life on your hands. There's very little importance on the "safe driving" talk. If everything goes wrong you have dead people on your hands, sometimes several dead people.

We try to shield our young ones from the unpleasant things in life (myself included). This is one topic you don't want to avoid with your young ones. When it's permit or license time, make sure they know what's at stake.

O.K. Stepping down from soap box now.....

I did a series of safe driving PSA's a couple of years back. I used race car drivers to compare track driving skiills to road skills. I think it went well. I have tried to resuurect it recently, but no money out there.
Here is the one with Sebastien Bourdias

http://www.youtube.com/user/rfoulds#p/a/u/0/ISZz5CLRTPY

Ultimately, I would like to see a National legislation change. Stringent road tests for all drivers, and renewal every 3 years. Serious emphasis on driving aware and alert, no distractions, not just rules of the road

zymurgist
I think riding a motorcycle has made me a better car driver. But the thing is, it doesn't do a damn thing about the 95 percent of drivers out there who are completely clueless.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 2 2010, 10:05 AM) *

I think riding a motorcycle has made me a better car driver. But the thing is, it doesn't do a damn thing about the 95 percent of drivers out there who are completely clueless.

agree.gif Riding a motorcycle can really open your eyes. However, it is just about paying attension.

As many have said, driving is something people must pay close attension to. Not texting or fooling around as you never know what can happen. On a race track you know everyone's goal is to try and cross the line first. On the street you never know what they are going to do and sometime they have no idea what they are going to do.
VaccaRabite
I don't know. I had 2 bikers pretty much try suicide against my car last week. The first one - I am not sure how he missed me. No warning, just swerved out of traffic in his lane and into mine. its a good thing I don't tail gate, I missed t-boning him by inches, braking so hard it felt like the nose of my car was going to start rubbing on the ground. What does Mr. Harley Squid do? Does he wave a quick "hey, thanks for not killing me because I am a total dumbass?" No, he crosses himself and kisses his fingers. God did not save your meaningless life there, dickbreath. I did, because I was paying attention even though you were not.

The other one was lane splitting up I-83 on his crotch rocket. Traffic was moving at ~65, but thats not fast enough for Mr Squid, who needs to be doing triple digits during the afternoon grind. No sir. But he cuts it a little close to my car, over corrects and starts doing tank slappers while still lane splitting down the road. Fucker finally got it together, after forcing two cars off the road, hits the throttle and is gone.

yeah yeah. Share the road. but I'm tired of hearing how riding a bike makes someone a better driver. I've never seen cars lane splitting, but I see bikers do it every nice day during the summer.
Mark Henry
Few years back I came onto the highway in my 914. I accelerated and had to go around a couple of pickups to get to the fast lane. As soon as I'm in the fast lane (and beside the pickup) there's a guy standing in the middle of my lane. Shit had fallen off his trailer. I totally smoked my tires and at the last seconds I took a look over my shoulder, released my brakes and swerved, missed him by inches. He was a total fuching deer in my headlights. I'm positive that he shit his pants.

Tie down your load proper, if you lose your load on the highway during rush hour eat the fine and get a cop.

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 2 2010, 10:40 AM) *

I don't know. I had 2 bikers pretty much try suicide against my car last week. The first one - I am not sure how he missed me. No warning, just swerved out of traffic in his lane and into mine. its a good thing I don't tail gate, I missed t-boning him by inches, braking so hard it felt like the nose of my car was going to start rubbing on the ground. What does Mr. Harley Squid do? Does he wave a quick "hey, thanks for not killing me because I am a total dumbass?" No, he crosses himself and kisses his fingers. God did not save your meaningless life there, dickbreath. I did, because I was paying attention even though you were not.

The other one was lane splitting up I-83 on his crotch rocket. Traffic was moving at ~65, but thats not fast enough for Mr Squid, who needs to be doing triple digits during the afternoon grind. No sir. But he cuts it a little close to my car, over corrects and starts doing tank slappers while still lane splitting down the road. Fucker finally got it together, after forcing two cars off the road, hits the throttle and is gone.

yeah yeah. Share the road. but I'm tired of hearing how riding a bike makes someone a better driver. I've never seen cars lane splitting, but I see bikers do it every nice day during the summer.

Riding a bike make you more aware....not smarter beerchug.gif
RFoulds
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 2 2010, 01:24 PM) *

Few years back I came onto the highway in my 914. I accelerated and had to go around a couple of pickups to get to the fast lane. As soon as I'm in the fast lane (and beside the pickup) there's a guy standing in the middle of my lane. Shit had fallen off his trailer. I totally smoked my tires and at the last seconds I took a look over my shoulder, released my brakes and swerved, missed him by inches. He was a total fuching deer in my headlights. I'm positive that he shit his pants.

Tie down your load proper, if you lose your load on the highway during rush hour eat the fine and get a cop.

Mark, you're not going to like this, but I have to tell you, you were at fault, too. You should not have entered a lane without being able to see what was ahead in that lane. And besides the legality and at-fault part of it, it is safe practice to know whats ahead. Just like you wouldn't pass a truck entering a curve, you shouldn't have pulled out around those trucks and entered a lane without have a clear view of the road ahead.
Drop back from the trucks to increase your range of view, and so the truck can see you in his miirrors, and then change lanes.
If you had done this, you would have seen the hazard in the road ahead, and avoided the panic stop.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.