Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #3 Cylinder sucking less air
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I am trying to set up my carbs. I previously found that cylinder 3 was sucking less air than the other cylinders. With the snail, it was always one number below the other cylinders (air bypass needles all turned in fully). I searched the engine and saw black soot and slight oil leaking where the cyl meets the head. I figured that the cyl was sucking less air because it was getting some air from the leak.

I then took the valve covers off and found that two of the head studs for cyl 3 were very loose. I went through the torquing proceed and retorqued the head. I then pumped compressed air into cyl 3 and listened for leaks, I could not hear any leaks. I also rigged up a gauge and the cyl seemed to hold 150 psi for at least a few minutes. It seems like retorquing the heads fixed the leak.

When I was putting the rockers back on, I noticed that the arms for cyl 3 seemed to have a different geometry than the other cylinders. I have elephant feet and on the other cylinders, the elephant foot screw is screwed in almost all the way. On cyl 3, the feet are almost in contact with the rocker arms (this is the way that is was prior to disassembly also, so I don't think that it is from a poorly set pushrod). I also noticed that the cyl 3 rocker had smaller shims (about 1mm smaller).

I got everything back together. I started the engine. Idles somewhat rough. Cyl 3 sucking 1 point less air than the other cylinders.

Is it possible that the person who built my engine screwed up the rocker geometry for cyl 3 and this is the reason for sucking in less air? Any other ideas?
realred914
Yes, sound like it was not assembled right (loose parts) and with a mixxed bag of parts. consider it borrowed time.

i'd pull it apart if it where mine and check it all out.
Cap'n Krusty
It could mean the stem height of the valves in that cylinder is too high, and that means the valves are hammering into the seat or the seats are sinking into the head. A well known problem, especially on the #3 cylinder. I'd be REAL inclined to get in there now, before it takes itself apart.

The Cap'n
tornik550
I decided to pull the engine. I am having several different problems so I just need to get the engine out.
VaccaRabite
BTDT.

Sucks, but it sounds like it was the right thing to do.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.