Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long to cool freshly bedded-in track pads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Eddie914
I have just installed new rotors on the 914/6 3.2 (911SC brakes).

If the new rotors are broken-in with new pads then the new pads are bedded-in, how long should the pads be cooled before being used for track purposes (DE events)?

or

Should the new rotors be broken-in (transfer of pad material onto the brake rotor friction surface) with used pads?

New Zimmerman rotors and Porterfield R4 race pads.

Thanks

Eddie
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Aug 31 2010, 09:27 PM) *

I have just installed new rotors on the 914/6 3.2 (911SC brakes).

If the new rotors are broken-in with new pads then the new pads are bedded-in, how long should the pads be cooled before being used for track purposes (DE events)?

or

Should the new rotors be broken-in (transfer of pad material onto the brake rotor friction surface) with used pads?

New Zimmerman rotors and Porterfield R4 race pads.

We've changed rotors and pads at the same time in-between run sessions (on the 911) and used the next session for pad brake-in.
Not the "correct" way to do it, but it worked just fine with no ill effects.

If you have time, i'd let them cool off. If you don't have time, just drive it ...
shades.gif Andy
Andyrew
If you have the time, I believe they say overnight...

If you CAN, have the car on jacks and rotate the wheels every couple minutes so there are not any hot spots on the rotors... Good friday night project with a case of beer... Thats how I break them in.

Make sure to get them GOOOOD and hot. AKA red hot, then basically DONT use them on the way back. Thats how I was always told to break in race pads... At least thats how they say in the packaging I have received.. Porterfield and Hawk
brant
I always go back to KFP pads.
Even If I've tried to bed them in repeatedly with longer and longer stops... I always find that the very first time you use them in anger or race conditions they will fade out in that first HARD, hard corner...

But the next straight away between corners is all of the cool down they need. After 1 over-heat, you are good to go.

I only bed pads in 1 session (qualifying or practice) now before wheel to wheel action.

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 5 2010, 11:48 PM) *

...I only bed pads in 1 session...

Me too. An hour or two of cooldown before hard use is plenty of time IMO.
I gradually heat them by increasing the speed from which I apply moderately aggressive braking, similar to the method prescribed by KFP, until the pads are at about 60% of full operating temp and I can smell the binder outgassing every time I apply the brakes.
Then I continue to drive, using the brakes as little as possible until the end of the session, to start cooling them down.

I also notice an initial fade that goes away soon, the first time out on freshly bedded pads.
When one can no longer smell the pads while they're hot, they are fully conditioned.

Bedding new rotors with new pads sounds like the right thing to do.
Brake pad compounds are not all compatible with each other, sometimes causing problems when switching pads on rotors that aren't fully cleaned off in between.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.