Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Question for the World! Not to nit pick....but?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
A quote from an e-bay ad!

your friends at Automobile Atlanta, 914 World Headquarters
ThinAir
AA has been using that phrase for years & years. I've got a couple of t-shirts from them with that phrase on it from when I got my first 914 in 1990 and they were the only parts/info resource I knew of.
Jeffs9146
OK, Just asking because I have been a member here since Jan 03, after the split, and at least a few years before that at the club and I never noticed it!

It isn't a big deal, it just jumped off the page when I read the add!
computers4kids
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 31 2010, 10:05 PM) *

If it's being used to represent 914World, yes it is intellectual property. If it is being used as an inference that Auto Atlanta is the World Headquarters for 914s, no...just a bit boastfull.
Mark Henry
IIRC AA has used it for some time, long before 914world in fact.
VaccaRabite
agree.gif

TorqueJunkie
To protect words and phrases you have to register them and trademark them and go through that whole process or it is nothing and anyone can use it. "914" is protected under VW/Porsche, so if they did not get permission from them, it is also a violation. This is a complicated area. Most enthusiast sites are ok, but when people use the names and stuff for business purposes, then they might get in trouble.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Yes Jeff we have been using the phrase since the middle 80's when no one liked the 914 and we were heavily promoting the car. We wanted to give it world status and I copped the phrase from several big companies who were using the phrase.
Because we at the time and still have the worlds best 914 car collection, the worlds best 914 printed catalog, the worlds biggest collection of 914s the worlds biggest collection of 914 parts, the worlds biggest and most passionate 914 weenie (yours truly) and the worlds most popular 914 tech publication touted by Road and Track magazine as "no 914 owner should be without it" AND have been dedicated to the 914 now for 36 years and until the last breath I take, we feel like we can claim the title.
Our tiny little claim to fame in this large world but I guess like any man it is important for him to claim something to feel worthwhile!!!!!!

How is that for self promotion??????

RJMII

Bah, SPAM I say, SPAM. poke.gif

I remember seeing the "914 World Headquarters" back in the early 90's, before Al Gore invented the internet.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
914 spam is the best spam!!!!

I always HATED spam when my mom would serve it. YUK.

QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 1 2010, 08:10 AM) *

Bah, SPAM I say, SPAM. poke.gif

I remember seeing the "914 World Headquarters" back in the early 90's, before Al Gore invented the internet.

RJMII

YUK is right. My sister cut her finger wide open on one of those cans trying to save the "spam can key" bloody mess that found her getting stitches and us never having spam again.
realred914
QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 1 2010, 08:19 AM) *

YUK is right. My sister cut her finger wide open on one of those cans trying to save the "spam can key" bloody mess that found her getting stitches and us never having spam again.

yummy spam and catsup, no wait thats blood, gag, puke!!! barf.gif barf.gif
Gudhjem
QUOTE(TorqueJunkie @ Sep 1 2010, 07:33 AM) *

To protect words and phrases you have to register them and trademark them and go through that whole process or it is nothing and anyone can use it. "914" is protected under VW/Porsche, so if they did not get permission from them, it is also a violation. This is a complicated area. Most enthusiast sites are ok, but when people use the names and stuff for business purposes, then they might get in trouble.

Not quite true. use in commerce will afford protection even without registering the mark. Besides, if "914" is being used to designate 914s or 914 products, it's likely going to qualify as nominative fair use. I think George is okay here, at least as far as trademark law goes.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Thankfully that stupid spam did not get into her cut and make it infected. Who KNOWS what is in that stuff unless it comes from Automobile Atlanta????

QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 1 2010, 08:19 AM) *

SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 07:51 AM) *
the worlds biggest collection of 914 parts

I know of a place that has more 914 parts than you ...

happy11.gif Andy
EdwardBlume
Is 914 Universe available? blink.gif
Tom_T

Yeah Jeff, you ARE nit-picking! agree.gif

How many other businesses make the claim that they are THE world headquarters for something!? confused24.gif

Come on really!? ...... REALLY!? dry.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(realred914 @ Sep 1 2010, 09:31 AM) *

yummy spam and catsup, no wait thats blood, gag, puke!!! barf.gif barf.gif

OK - everybody now ........

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spaaaam, wonderful Spam! piratenanner.gif
Root_Werks
Speaking of old stuff:

Found a T-Shirt the other day from another major 914 supplier of parts from....1991 or 1992 I believe? Can you guess who by the slogan?

"Your car is your catalog"

Any guesses, probably an easy one. smile.gif
ericread
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 07:51 AM)
...and most passionate 914 weenie...

That's quite a boast. Given the right girl, my weenie is pretty passionate...

happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
In Hawaii, spam is a staple for breakfast. "Spam and eggs, two scoops rice". Yum!
SLITS
George serves his with grits.

I saw a image of his 914 world headquarters .... looked like a junk yard to me.
messix
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 07:51 AM) *

Yes Jeff we have been using the phrase since the middle 80's when no one liked the 914 and we were heavily promoting the car. We wanted to give it world status and I copped the phrase from several big companies who were using the phrase.
Because we at the time and still have the worlds best 914 car collection, the worlds best 914 printed catalog, the worlds biggest collection of 914s the worlds biggest collection of 914 parts, the worlds biggest and most passionate 914 weenie (yours truly) and the worlds most popular 914 tech publication touted by Road and Track magazine as "no 914 owner should be without it" AND have been dedicated to the 914 now for 36 years and until the last breath I take, we feel like we can claim the title.
Our tiny little claim to fame in this large world but I guess like any man it is important for him to claim something to feel worthwhile!!!!!!

pagent mom!!!! slap.gif lol-2.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
You are still young Eric.

QUOTE(ericread @ Sep 1 2010, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 07:51 AM)
...and most passionate 914 weenie...

That's quite a boast. Given the right girl, my weenie is pretty passionate...

happy11.gif

76-914
QUOTE(TorqueJunkie @ Sep 1 2010, 07:33 AM) *

That's not entirely true. I know of one case where an unnamed large corp assumed that and ended up with a big one in the rear. It's a great Sampson & Goliath yarn, told to me by my patents atty, several years ago.
thomasotten
Well, I must say that I was absolutley shocked when I recieved my first catalogue from 914 World Headquarters back in the late 80's. It gave me a lot of inspiration.

George, you seem to get a fair amount of abuse and suspicion here, but I am glad to see you taking part in the forums.

sww914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 1 2010, 10:51 AM) *

Speaking of old stuff:

Found a T-Shirt the other day from another major 914 supplier of parts from....1991 or 1992 I believe? Can you guess who by the slogan?

"Your car is your catalog"

Any guesses, probably an easy one. smile.gif

GPR.
It was a response to the many catalog requests that Dave received.
It's really hard to produce a catalog. He offered the explanation that he could keep his prices down if he didn't spend 6 figures on a catalog.
His prices were low, as they are now.
Lou W
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 31 2010, 10:27 PM) *

OK, Just asking because I have been a member here since Jan 03, after the split, and at least a few years before that at the club and I never noticed it!

It isn't a big deal, it just jumped off the page when I read the add!

What split?

lol-2.gif ar15.gif w00t.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Please do not call 914s junk

QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 1 2010, 12:24 PM) *

naro914
A local guy in Charlotte (Terry) many, many years called his place 'The 911 Shop'.

Porsche told him to change it. It's now 'The 9-11 Shop'. Go figure.

Oh, and he has a GORGEOUS 914/6. And a bunch of other early cars...
SLITS
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 2 2010, 08:33 AM) *

Please do not call 914s junk

QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 1 2010, 12:24 PM) *

Uhhhhh .....uhhhh .... 914 World Recycling Center ... Yeah, that's the ticket.
carr914
One Man's Junk is another Man's Treasure

I think George has his people get yearly Tetanus Shots
SLITS
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 2 2010, 04:26 PM) *

One Man's Junk is another Man's Treasure

I think George has his people get yearly Tetanus Shots

That and the wind must not blow much there, otherwise it would be a field covered with ferrous oxide dust.
Rleog
Shoulder, Pork and hAM.
scotty b
birthday3.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
bandjoey
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 2 2010, 05:06 PM) *

A local guy in Charlotte (Terry) many, many years called his place 'The 911 Shop'.

Porsche told him to change it. It's now 'The 9-11 Shop'. Go figure.

Oh, and he has a GORGEOUS 914/6. And a bunch of other early cars...

Invite him to MUSR with the -6 driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.