Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rusted Bolt on 75 H.E.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
mad.gif
Alright, after a week of frustration, unable to get this remaining bolt off of a 75 H.E. exhaust pipe- changing over to a 74 setup when i get this off, and can't get them out until this bolt comes off this flange! very tight squeeze, cant get the socket wrench in there very little room for movement, and the nut is stripped

short of this; sawzall-smiley.gif what are my options?? any advice here?
SLITS
They make sockets to grab onto stripped nuts. They make nut splitters if you have enough room.

or

cold steel chisel to break the bolt / cut nut. You won't be using them again.

or

Hacksaw the header pipe

or

Dremel with cutting wheel

or

pull the nuts off the exhaust header studs and see if you can get more room to work with. Soakem first with PB Blaster,
jaxdream
Dremel may be a good solution , also after you DO get it off , check and repair the thermostat wire and bellows. In the first pic the cable is off the little wheel and be aware that the bolt holding the wheel goes into the engine case and if not sealed will leak oil . Hang in there as these things are all a part of working on any vehicle or machinery that sees the outside weather. smash.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
cary
I had one like that on my 911. Dremel. Cut a slit in the nut. Then pop it off.
76-914
Don't spend too much time messing with it. It only takes an hour or so to drop the engine. BTW, next time use a six pt socket and a few long extensions. The ratchet will end up back by the starter but you get a good bite on it.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 1 2010, 09:50 AM) *

Don't spend too much time messing with it. It only takes an hour or so to drop the engine. BTW, next time use a six pt socket and a few long extensions. The ratchet will end up back by the starter but you get a good bite on it.

Good point- i needed longer extensions to get a better grip on it.
Already released the bolts on the exhaust studs, can't get a dremel in there, I have a dremel with the flat vibrating blade set up. will get new blade and if nothing else cut off that pipe with the sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.