Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Djet vs Ljet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trent1542
what is the difference between Djet and Ljet F.I.

And what would be better if I want to restore my '70 1.7L/4 to stock.

sorry for the terrible question newhere.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 1 2010, 08:05 AM) *

what is the difference between Djet and Ljet F.I.

And what would be better if I want to restore my '70 1.7L/4 to stock.

sorry for the terrible question newhere.gif

TO STOCK means d jet. (MPC) L jet (AFC) is the superior system and much simpler than the d, but was only available on the 74 75 1.8 and 2.0 912e models.

The systems are totally different one using an air flow meter and the other using a manifold pressure sensor, for starters!
trent1542
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 08:22 AM) *

TO STOCK means d jet. (MPC) L jet (AFC) is the superior system and much simpler than the d, but was only available on the 74 75 1.8 and 2.0 912e models.

The systems are totally different one using an air flow meter and the other using a manifold pressure sensor, for starters!

Is Ljet more reliable too? I want a system that will last long on my 1.7.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Yes. Because of its simplicity, L jet IS more reliable. One needs to watch the air flow meter for lean backfire when starting cold, and keep the dual relay clean, but beyond that it is great.
The caveat is that since the system was only made for two years and that 75 adn 74 are slightly different (seven pin vs six pin air box and harness) that finding used parts for the system would be hard.

QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 1 2010, 08:27 AM) *

trent1542
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 08:30 AM) *

Yes. Because of its simplicity, L jet IS more reliable. One needs to watch the air flow meter for lean backfire when starting cold, and keep the dual relay clean, but beyond that it is great.
The caveat is that since the system was only made for two years and that 75 adn 74 are slightly different (seven pin vs six pin air box and harness) that finding used parts for the system would be hard.

Thanks biggrin.gif
Now I need to get this project driving.gif
Root_Werks
There is a ton of good information on both D-Jet and L-Jet systems. Read up on my thread, I recently installed L-Jet on a 2.0 and it's working great.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...104990&st=0

The good Dr. already mentioned D-Jet is a MPS-Manifold Pressure Sensing system vs. L-Jet wich is a much more modern platform AFM - Air Flow Metered. Many vehichles used what they called "Motronic" (Really L-Jet) like the 944 etc.

Others will chime in I'm sure.

If you want all original and have a 73-76 2.0 914, stick with D-Jet, it does work great and will keep the value up on your 914.

If your starting from scratch and not too concerned about 100% originality, then go with L-Jet. There's still tons of parts out there for the systems.
trent1542
what about Ljet vs dual weber carbs?
or just F.I. vs carburation
type47
I would suggest instead of spending money to get an L-jet system or dual carbs, spend it getting your stock factory FI system running correctly. Rather than break new ground learning a new FI system or learning to deal with carbs, start w/factory system. Enjoy driving what you have then start on the slippery slope of improving the car.
johannes
QUOTE(type47 @ Sep 1 2010, 08:32 AM) *

I would suggest instead of spending money to get an L-jet system or dual carbs, spend it getting your stock factory FI system running correctly. Rather than break new ground learning a new FI system or learning to deal with carbs, start w/factory system. Enjoy driving what you have then start on the slippery slope of improving the car.

agree.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com

Forget the carbs!!! Remember you started off saying original! Reinstall the d jet and have a car that leaps off the line (for a 914) gets great gas mileage on regular fuel, is relatively quiet, pollutes less, and starts every time on the THIRD!!!! try without pumping the accelerator pedal!!!

QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 1 2010, 09:10 AM) *

MartyYeoman
L-Jet was also installed on VW bugs and Vans (not sure of the years though).
Lots of parts out there.
trent1542
thanks guys I'm gonna stick to djet for now. smile.gif
but later when or if I upgrade; would dual weber carbs 34 ict, or would F.I. Ljet be better?

I don't know how much it would cost for Ljet but I have a friend that has a new in the box dual weber carbs, 34 ict; that he would sell to me for $300 or less he said.
RFoulds
my take on carbs vs. FI in a 914. Carbs for serious track use, FI for everything else. Daly driver, autocross, weekend fun, DE track car, etc. All experience more reliability, better performance, and better fuel mileage with FI. My first 914 had a fresh 2056 with new twin carbs. so much fuel flowing in there, eashed teh cylinders pretty much and wore out the rings in just 5,000 miles.
that plus constantly balancing them was enough to convince me, stick with stock FI whenever possible, and make it run right.
trent1542
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 1 2010, 04:10 PM) *

my take on carbs vs. FI in a 914. Carbs for serious track use, FI for everything else. Daly driver, autocross, weekend fun, DE track car, etc. All experience more reliability, better performance, and better fuel mileage with FI. My first 914 had a fresh 2056 with new twin carbs. so much fuel flowing in there, eashed teh cylinders pretty much and wore out the rings in just 5,000 miles.
that plus constantly balancing them was enough to convince me, stick with stock FI whenever possible, and make it run right.

Thanks biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Carbs have thier place in the 914 world, but that place is starting to dwindle with the advent of the programmable EFI systems. Carbs can be a living hell in tuning (which I am going through now) but allow you to use much more aggressive cams and develop more power.

But if you are keeping your engine stock, go with the stock FI for sure.

If the programmable EFI systems were cheaper or more easy to use, I'd be happy to ditch my dual carbs for EFI. I still think about trying MS for my 2056 with an aggressive carb cam, but that would be a project on down the line, and I have other car projects right now to get running.

Zach
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Sep 1 2010, 04:33 PM) *

L-Jet was also installed on VW bugs and Vans (not sure of the years though).
Lots of parts out there.

75 to 83 Buses and Vanagons have Ljet so lots a parts to steal and use from
Cevan
D-Jet was phasing out at the same time L-Jet was being introduced. I think the '74 1.8 was one of the first production cars to use L-Jet.
76-914
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 1 2010, 09:10 AM) *

This ought to get the pot boiling. stirthepot.gif
realred914

i would not say L:-jet is more relaible nor has more simplisity. the L-jet has a very delicate air flow meter, (back fire can ruin it) L-jet is hyper sensitve to vaccum leaks. although the 914 L-jet is more modern, than D-jet, the D-jet system was more sorted out by the time 914 used them, the L-jet was new then, not as well developed.

the D-jet is extremely simple, with less complex moving parts (pressure sendor verses air flow sendor) D-jet is not hyper sensitve to leaks like the L-jet is.

I'd stick with D-jet a well proven system on your 1.7 enigne. everything will fit and be right, not some bastardized set up.

Als914

Hey George,
I have the six pin ('74) air box and as stated it is very reliable...love it. What does the 7th pin connect to on the 2.0, 912E?
MartyYeoman
I think the seventh pin is a ground.
sean_v8_914
seventh pin is another temp sensor in teh air box
trent1542
My thread has been hijacked by Als914! Lol biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.