Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front bumper rubber tops - Fully erect, I mean with internal support
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
As many of you know I've been reproducing the the front bumper tops for some time. It has come to my attention that some folks thought that they should have an internal support like the rears I make.

When I set out to make these I did make some changes to the original design. The originals used a foam rubber as most of you know, and because the foam rubber would not hold up well in shipping and handling, and because it needed a solid structure to mount a steel insert was made to do this. We all know how well this combination worked out if you live in a wet climate.

When I made my version I decided to use a solid rubber,this allowed me to use a stainless steel "anchor point" for the attachment of the bumper. This the bumper is "floppy" when not installed. I felt that because the bumper top was being mounted to a large piece of steel that the internal support was redundant.

What I want to know is is it worth the extra $35 to put the internal stainless support in to the bumper?

I have just brought in 2000# of material and have the production line running again. As I make my own stuff I could make up some internal supports to include in the bumpers.

This also poses another question. As I'm back in full production, I will be lowering prices significantly, much greater that $35 per bumper. Would you rather take the $75 savings or do a net $40?

Please provide some input as I can easily make the change, but as you know I have tried to provide what I thought was the best product at the best price.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated
realred914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 1 2010, 08:12 AM) *

As many of you know I've been reproducing the the front bumper tops for some time. It has come to my attention that some folks thought that they should have an internal support like the rears I make.

When I set out to make these I did make some changes to the original design. The originals used a foam rubber as most of you know, and because the foam rubber would not hold up well in shipping and handling, and because it needed a solid structure to mount a steel insert was made to do this. We all know how well this combination worked out if you live in a wet climate.

When I made my version I decided to use a solid rubber,this allowed me to use a stainless steel "anchor point" for the attachment of the bumper. This the bumper is "floppy" when not installed. I felt that because the bumper top was being mounted to a large piece of steel that the internal support was redundant.

What I want to know is is it worth the extra $35 to put the internal stainless support in to the bumper?

I have just brought in 2000# of material and have the production line running again. As I make my own stuff I could make up some internal supports to include in the bumpers.

This also poses another question. As I'm back in full production, I will be lowering prices significantly, much greater that $35 per bumper. Would you rather take the $75 savings or do a net $45?

Please provide some input as I can easily make the change, but as you know I have tried to provide what I thought was the best product at the best price.

well the stainless I would pay extra for, my question is how much are teh bumper pads? didn't see that in your post.

thanks for helping out the 914's
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes yes yes! That was always my complaint. We applaud you for commiting to make all of these 914 parts Mark, but to make them like the originals is always best especially for us concours weenies!
Put the aluminum in the bumper top and firm it up! No limp bumper tops expect the worn rusted ones anymore!

This also poses another question. As I'm back in full production, I will be lowering prices significantly, much greater that $35 per bumper. Would you rather take the $75 savings or do a net $45?

rick 918-S
Your offering us an improved product with a stainless reinforcement AND a $ 45.00 lower price? Sounds like a win/win to me. beerchug.gif
FlatIV
If it is not an actual improvement, I think it is goofy to change it......

Andrew
Mikey914
Maybe I misjudged the product, and that was what I was trying to figure out.
I have these and these sets listed on the website, but the price difference for the front is $35 with the internal stainless part.
So you'd be looking at $334 shipped instead of $299 shipped.

If there are those that want it, I can easily put it in. My problem is that I'm basically cheap. I will do something the most cost effective way I can, unless it affects the quality of the part, and if I can eliminate a nonessential redundancy I will.

From what I'm hearing here, there are at least a few of you that may want the additional internal support?
Mikey914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 1 2010, 09:33 AM) *

Your offering us an improved product with a stainless reinforcement AND a $ 45.00 lower price? Sounds like a win/win to me. beerchug.gif

It's actually an increase, but as I had lowered the prices it would be a decrease.
Tom_T

Hey Mark, I have an early one still packaged, but would pay the upcharge & swap if you make them with the support - if you can swap (it's still in your shipping package with the rear topper in my garage)?? confused24.gif

Otherwise, if I were buying now, I'd opt for the support at $45 less - or even $35 more - IMHO.
markb
Yes, add the support. smile.gif
mepstein
I would want the support. (but might not buy for a while) Thanks, Mark
montoya 73 2.0
Add the support. Offering a better product than before is always good.
bandjoey
If I needed one - don't now - I'd go with the insert.
What I need is a good fitting front trunk seal now. I'll have to get one from XXX (insert name) before going to Musr. sad.gif
Niklas
Hi Mark!

What is the freight to Sweden for :

914 early front and rear bumper rubber package

Niklas
McMark
I would want the support. The motivation would be that over the next 10-15 years we MIGHT notice some very slight bowing, warping or tweaking. I think the added support would help eliminate that possibility and I'd GLADLY pay $35 for some peace-of-mind.
Niklas
Yes support for a long life.

Niklas
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 1 2010, 03:50 PM) *

I would want the support. The motivation would be that over the next 10-15 years we MIGHT notice some very slight bowing, warping or tweaking. I think the added support would help eliminate that possibility and I'd GLADLY pay $35 for some peace-of-mind.

Very well put... my 914Rubber bumper tops (Produced/Installed April 2010) look great installed and are so far holding up exceptionally well as I expected them too but yes $35.00 is well justified to futher enhance the rigidity of the bumper tops for long term peace of mind.

When you consider most of us teeners intend to keep our cars indefinitely plus those in the Euro market already have to pay additional freight costs $$$ $35 additional makes sense to get the best product possible. first.gif
JRust
Yes add the Stainless!
Jacob
I see that the consensus is for the stainless support. But I can see that since you are using a solid rubber as opposed to the original foam rubber that it might be redundant. Over the years I have learned that when it comes to consumer products "perception is everything" apparently the perception is that an extra strip of stainless is worth the extra money. I would be happy with the switch to solid rubber since I don't think the bumper will move much and you are using superior material.
computers4kids

My 2 cents...
From my experience with your front bumpers, it seems they are made very well, but if it's possible I would suggest some sort of stainless inside the corners of the bumper tops. If you could make the corner stay in the shape of our bumpers, that would be great. I know you mentioned that the bumper tops are still curing even when strapped to the board that you ship them on. I know the first top I bought the corners were way out of shape, and the replacement one was still off but not enough to worry about it. As far as adding steel inside the run along the bumper...not necessary.

Once again, great workmanship.

Gint
I guess I'm in the minority. I don't see the need for it. And at the price you're offering these units if they last and look good for 10 years and then collapse after 10 years 1 month I'm still going to be really pleased. And ready to buy another!
Mikey914
[/quote]

Hey Mark, I have an early one still packaged, but would pay the upcharge & swap if you make them with the support - if you can swap (it's still in your shipping package with the rear topper in my garage)?? confused24.gif

[/quote]
I'll take back the bumper no problem, I'll upgrade it for the $35 to a new one, you'ld just need to cover the shipping.
Mikey914
Well, it looks like I do have a need to put the internal support in. I've got some 1/4" 306 stainless that I'll be using. These will actually be more ridgid that OEM, but will not bend (without considerable force). I'll be waterjet cutting this weekend and will have the fist ones about a week later.

It's pretty straight forward to modify these, so I might as well.

For those of you that want the less expensive option, then you'll save even more.

I would also recommend a twice annual cleanign with 303 Aerospace protectant. I have it at $6 a 8 oz bottle, but with shipipng you may do better at your local Autozone / local parts store.
Tom_T
[quote name='Mikey914' date='Sep 1 2010, 08:11 PM' post='1364844']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'll take back the bumper no problem, I'll upgrade it for the $35 to a new one, you'ld just need to cover the shipping.
[/quote]

Thanx Mark - I'll just do it later with the other seals order that I still need to get from you to ship them all together & book a few more sales at the same time.
mharmon
Great idea Mark - when will the new reinforced ones be ready? I've got to place another order with you, but want to wait until these are available.

Thanks.

Mike
Mikey914
I've got 1/4" 306 Stainless plate inbound Monday or Tuesday. I'll be cutting it on the water-jet Wednesday, and they will be integrated by the end of next week. Production parts will be available in about 8-9 days.
I'll keep everyone posted here.
Socalandy
sounds good to me. Need a set for the 6 car!!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 1 2010, 12:15 PM) *

It's actually an increase, but as I had lowered the prices it would be a decrease.

agree.gif Deal. The price was reduced $ 75.00 and only raised $ 35.00 to add a stainless strip that won't rust and fail. Deal

I have a question. Can you tell there is no metal strip in the bumper top when you install it? I mean does it droop of wave? I can see improving a product if it needs it. But if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Mikey914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 4 2010, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 1 2010, 12:15 PM) *

agree.gif Deal. The price was reduced $ 75.00 and only raised $ 35.00 to add a stainless strip that won't rust and fail. Deal

I have a question. Can you tell there is no metal strip in the bumper top when you install it? I mean does it droop of wave? I can see improving a product if it needs it. But if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Once it's mounted there is no droop. It literally sits right on top of the bumper. You can really tell when you grab one end and try to pick it up, as it is "limp"

It's really not a big deal as I just need to place the support into the mold. I plan to use 1/4" stainless steel, so it would not deform easily.

This fully errect bumper will be harder than OEM biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Finally got the internal done, just need to get a test bumper done. Wanted to do it this week, but my day job has been really busy. If I'm lucky I'll have a test shot Friday.
sean_v8_914
anything done to help the corner shape stay in closer to the bumper steel?
Mikey914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Sep 20 2010, 06:21 AM) *

anything done to help the corner shape stay in closer to the bumper steel?

The molds are being re worked to accomidate the internals and tighten up the edges.
sean_v8_914
sweet.
Mikey914
Well after 3 shots at it we got the internal done. Wound up using some 1/4" material in it. I was afraid that the thinner gage would deform in handling and never be able to be corrected without a wave. The NEW bumpers will be in production starting late next week as I have to do up some quantity of the final design for production.

The only bad news is the new ones will be be a little more ($40, still a net $35 decrease in cost).

For those of you that wanted these, and spoke up (mike and Tom, let me know if i missed anyone else here), I will make them available to you at the $35 adder for the internal)

I'll be posting pictures shortly.
Mikey914
Here they are. Look the same supported
Mikey914
New one
mepstein
Shouldn't she be wearing a Bikini to model that?
Mikey914
Old one
Mikey914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 29 2010, 06:21 PM) *

Shouldn't she be wearing a Bikini to model that?

I tried, but no dice, this was the best it was going to get.
Tom_T
Looks good. .... a real "stiffy" Mark! biggrin.gif

Were you also able to get the ends to tuck in closer to the body/bumper at the fenders on this one?
Mikey914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 29 2010, 06:53 PM) *

Looks good. .... a real "stiffy" Mark! biggrin.gif

Were you also able to get the ends to tuck in closer to the body/bumper at the fenders on this one?

I was a little limited on the amount of change I could do at the ends, but we did take 1/8" out and all indications are that this should take care of the "gap" issue.
Black22
Good going Mark! My wife saw the picture of your model (in a Beaver shirt) and now I'm not allowed to order from you anymore! She was born and raised in DUCK country !(Eugene) Like I need to give her another reason to harp on me for buying parts for my teener! av-943.gif I'll be PMing you shortly about another order, buy keep that in the down low would ya? happy11.gif good looking stuff as always!
matthepcat
Bump an old thread.

Mark,

When will the latest revision of bumper rubbers be released?

Thanks
Mikey914
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Dec 24 2011, 11:38 PM) *

Bump an old thread.

Mark,

When will the latest revision of bumper rubbers be released?

Thanks

Got them, and in production now. I'm filling a few back orderes this next week, I can get you one first week in January.
-Mark
jsayre914
icon_bump.gif
Just found this thread, does anybody have pics of the reinforced one on their ride.

It looks awesome Mark !!
beerchug.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 11 2012, 07:30 PM) *

icon_bump.gif
Just found this thread, does anybody have pics of the reinforced one on their ride.

It looks awesome Mark !!
beerchug.gif

The funny thing is the reinforced and the "floppy" ones look the same installed. Since they sit on a piece of steel.
Black914_4
I'm fixing to need bumper tops (as well as a lot of seals) here real soon.

If you still have the older ones without supports I'd be interested in those to help save some $$.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.