Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Quick Story on Brake Replacements form Eric Shea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
Ok, quick story. For three years I put up with mushy brakes. I could stop, just not real quick. I read all the threads on the plusses and minuses of 914 stock brakes, but never really got the answers I was looking for. I finally went to Eric Shea and purchased a set of rear calipers. After not reading the instructions and having Eric patiently walk me through the installation, my brakes felt much better. But was it really worth the cost?

About two weeks later, I was traveling west on Sand Canyon Road (Irvine, CA) getting ready to accelerate past Alton Parkway onto the 405 onramp. Suddenly, although I had a green light, a soccer mom driving a van decided to turn in front of me from Alton Parkway. Yep, we were headed for a collision. Instinctively, I hit the brakes hard, causing a "chirp" from all four tires. This effectively slowed me enough for the van to safely complete her turn, and allowing me to continue my turn onto the 405 onramp.

So what's the point? I never, never could have relied upon my "mushy" brakes to avoid the collision. And actually, hearing a "chirp" from all four tires really surprised me. These stock 914 brakes, when properly rebuilt and bled, are more effective that I ever could have imagined. The end result was a terrified (but safe) soccer mom and me with an ear-to-ear grin that my little car really protected me in a time of need.

So since 1) I am not an expert in the process of rebuilding brakes, and; 2) The cost of Eric Shea's rebuilt brakes are very reasonable, and finally; 3) The brakes are probably one of the most important safety components in our cars, I highly recommend Eric Shea for the place to get your rebuilt brakes.

As a daily driver of my 914, getting the calipers form Eric Shea was probably one of my most intelligent decisions.

That's it. Story over.

Eric
EdwardBlume
How much do you weigh?

j/k lol-2.gif

I agree. Properly maintained stock brake systems work fine... I AXed the heck out of mine years ago...
PeeGreen 914
I will agree with you on Eric. He is one of the most knowledgeable guys on vintage brakes I know. Then there is the part where he is very patient and will work with you on the entire process of getting set up.

Although, he loves his salmon colored shirts and you know what that means poke.gif happy11.gif
johannes
I had the oportunity to drive a fully restored 914 with rebuilt brakes. These were rebuilt on original specs. I was amazed how the pedal feels. You can ajust the pression with you foot and there is no soft feeling at all. It brakes very hard even when applying moderate pression.
avidfanjpl
I totally agree with Johannes. Mine were rebuilt by the PO, and they feel just like my 2 cars that were young and fresh once.

You can stomp on them, and they give back what you put in, when they are fresh.

I do notice the PBR pads throw out a bit of black dust after every hard ride I have in the car.

John

QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 1 2010, 10:59 AM) *

I had the oportunity to drive a fully restored 914 with rebuilt brakes. These were rebuilt on original specs. I was amazed how the pedal feels. You can ajust the pression with you foot and there is no soft feeling at all. It brakes very hard even when applying moderate pression.

tradisrad
I rebuilt all 4 of my calipers using the seal kits from Eric. The brakes worked good. I installed Porterfield pads in the front and they brakes work great! So, if you put top quality pads in the car with your new brakes you will be even happier!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It is so nice to receive a 914 part in the mail that is to the highest quality standards available in the industry. Someone who takes the time to perform top quality work needs to be commended and encouraged, as it is so hard to find 914 restoration parts to begin with and there is so much CRAP out there. We see it every day now especially the "stuff" coming from China, and the rebuilds coming out of sweat shops. Congratulations Eric and keep up the good work

QUOTE(ericread @ Sep 1 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Ok, quick story. For three years I put up with mushy brakes. I could stop, just not real quick. I read all the threads on the plusses and minuses of 914 stock brakes, but never really got the answers I was looking for. I finally went to Eric Shea and purchased a set of rear calipers. After not reading the instructions and having Eric patiently walk me through the installation, my brakes felt much better. But was it really worth the cost?

About two weeks later, I was traveling west on Sand Canyon Road (Irvine, CA) getting ready to accelerate past Alton Parkway onto the 405 onramp. Suddenly, although I had a green light, a soccer mom driving a van decided to turn in front of me from Alton Parkway. Yep, we were headed for a collision. Instinctively, I hit the brakes hard, causing a "chirp" from all four tires. This effectively slowed me enough for the van to safely complete her turn, and allowing me to continue my turn onto the 405 onramp.

So what's the point? I never, never could have relied upon my "mushy" brakes to avoid the collision. And actually, hearing a "chirp" from all four tires really surprised me. These stock 914 brakes, when properly rebuilt and bled, are more effective that I ever could have imagined. The end result was a terrified (but safe) soccer mom and me with an ear-to-ear grin that my little car really protected me in a time of need.

So since 1) I am not an expert in the process of rebuilding brakes, and; 2) The cost of Eric Shea's rebuilt brakes are very reasonable, and finally; 3) The brakes are probably one of the most important safety components in our cars, I highly recommend Eric Shea for the place to get your rebuilt brakes.

As a daily driver of my 914, getting the calipers form Eric Shea was probably one of my most intelligent decisions.

That's it. Story over.

Eric

ConeDodger
And he speaks Portuegoober too!!! poke.gif
rick 918-S
I just purchased all the rubber lines, front and rear pads and front and rear rebuild kits from Eric for two 914's. I ended up using the lines and rear caliper kits in the Alien last weekend. I'm looking forward to the improved stopping power.

There is a mis-understanding about upgrading brakes when you add power. If you stay with an engine that is the same approximate weight and you don't increase your roll resistance like adding fat tires and wide wheels (= heavy tires and wheels) your car won't know you have more HP. 60 MPH is 60 MPH with 40 hp or 125 hp.

But when you increase the hp and weight of the engine and or chassis beyond the added weight of a second passenger with luggage you will want to do at least three things.

1) increase the contact patch (wider tires for traction and friction)

2) increase the clamping force and sometimes the diameter on the spinning discs.
larger diameter is a natual increase in the ability of the pad to stop the rotor without requiring more leverage (human thigh power) Harder to push pedal.

3) look at the system for excess heat from the added stress on the pads and rotors.
the addition of vented rotors and or ducting to help from boiling the brake fluid.

Because I added alot of weight to my car with the 928 V8 engine and added unsprung weight and contact patch, I increased my master cylinder and went to BMW 4 piston calipers on the front and removed the PP valve. There are lots of theories on removing the PP valve but I have so much weight and contact patch on stock diameter rotors that I am at the edge of effective clamping force and leverage. This allows my 4 piston calipers to over power the rears as if I was modulating the rear pressure.

914 stock brakes are more than fine for a DD that AX's on the weekends. Eric's work is second to none.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.