Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can anyone tell me anything from a VIN?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
I just got the car home, and I am trying to find out anything about the car.

I know the car is a 74 with a 2.0, but I have no idea about originality, and I would hate to begin chopping up a car if it's anything special.

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Sep 1 2010, 12:37 PM) *

I just got the car home, and I am trying to find out anything about the car.

I know the car is a 74 with a 2.0, but I have no idea about originality, and I would hate to begin chopping up a car if it's anything special.

Click to view attachment

74 914 could be a limited edition should be in the range. Look underneath and see if it has sway bars and at the front of the transverse links to see if it has brackets extending forward
SirAndy
Can anyone tell me anything from a VIN?

Not really ... It's in our VIN database.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...yVIN=4742915814

And it falls within the VIN rage for LE cars. So if the original paint code is either "L04I" Black or "L80E" Light Ivory it could be a LE.

Other than that, the VIN does not tell you much. You could get a COA if you really want to know what the car shipped with originally.

Is the Karmann plate still attached to the drivers side door post?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/sources/actio..._helppaint.html

idea.gif Andy
tradisrad
It looks like it is in the Vin numbers ranger for a LE. http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/914CanAmRegistry.htm
Gigamight
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 1 2010, 03:41 PM) *

74 914 could be a limited edition should be in the range. Look underneath and see if it has sway bars and at the front of the transverse links to see if it has brackets extending forward

I looked underneath, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I didn't see sway bars.
Gigamight
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 1 2010, 03:46 PM) *

Can anyone tell me anything from a VIN?

Not really ... It's in our VIN database.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...yVIN=4742915814

And it falls within the VIN rage for LE cars. So if the original paint code is either "L04I" Black or "L80E" Light Ivory it could be a LE.

Other than that, the VIN does not tell you much. You could get a COA if you really want to know what the car shipped with originally.

Is the Karmann plate still attached to the drivers side door post?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/sources/actio..._helppaint.html

idea.gif Andy

There is no Karmann plate, it was removed for a previous paint job it seems.
Gigamight
Thank you guys for your posts. So pretty much the only way to know for sure it was an LE would be to get a COA? Am I understanding everyone correctly?

I'm glad you guys are up on this stuff, because I'm not.

I wouldn't have even thought about it if I hadn't read a post recently that said that a 74 2.0 is a possible candidate to be an LE, so I looked and then found no Karmann plate, and so.....
Mark Henry
Sway bar mount hole (3 holes around a larger hole) is behind and half way up the strut on the wheel house. If no mount hole is cut it wouldn't be an LE, could even be just a 1.8 with a 2.0 upgrade in it.
Mike Bellis
Look for evidence of the original color. Is it white or black? either color could be an LE. Any other color and it's just a 914.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Sep 1 2010, 02:20 PM) *

Thank you guys for your posts. So pretty much the only way to know for sure it was an LE would be to get a COA? Am I understanding everyone correctly?

I'm glad you guys are up on this stuff, because I'm not.

I wouldn't have even thought about it if I hadn't read a post recently that said that a 74 2.0 is a possible candidate to be an LE, so I looked and then found no Karmann plate, and so.....

Try calling PCNA's COA dept. & ask very nicely if they can look up your paint code now - before you order your COA, which you plan to do - since the DAPO removed the one on the car so that you'll know what color to repaint it now ...... or something like that. If you get Kristen Rochford, she's usually very nice & helpful, & often gives prelim. info over the phone.

Before you call, also look at & take a pic of your engine case no. (just forward of the oil filler tower) & read it off to her to confirm if it's the original engine for the car (should be GA######), which she/they can also check on their Kardex info. on the car.

That way you can confirm both if it's a real 2.0 & if it's an LE.

BTW Mike - even if it's not an LE but is a factory 2.0, then it's not "just a 914" - but a sought after & highly desirable 73-74 GA motored 2.0!!!!!
.... of course I'm highly prejudiced being a 73 2L owner! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.