Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOS IN THE N.W.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rascobo
I just gave up my duplex w/garage due to both ill health and economy and with plans to move out of state in search of work. I've almost completed a two year restoration of my car and was just awaiting the arrival of a starter part to have it on the road again but had to move the car to another location. Attempting to compression start it in reverse it started, along with the godawful sound of grinding chunks of metal. Shutting it down I checked the C-V joints for play but they're solid, also it doesn't grab or make noise pushing it in neutral.
It's my only car at present and I'm looking for someone in the Portland- SW Wash./NW ORE. area with a good sideshift they'll sell/trade, or the knowledge to help me repair mine (damn, I knew I'd regret missing the Evil Doctors clinic this spring).

Due to the move my internet connection may be intermittent, so here's my phone:503-887-3634

Thanks,
Rascobo aka Scott Bolan
avidfanjpl
Sorry to hear the news, Scott -

Are you sure it was the tranny? Could it be the clutch? Did the clutch work reasonably well?

If the CV's on the inside work, there could be trouble on the one's in the trailing arms, but it sounds more like a trashed gear or something. Did you have any kinds of tranny issues prior?

I am way not any expert, but I did just lose a CV, but it just spun and did not grind.

But, I went nowhere.

Good luck,

John
Krieger
You just changed the starter. Start you search there. Pull it out and look at the teeth on the starter and flywheel.
rascobo
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 1 2010, 05:09 PM) *

You just changed the starter. Start you search there. Pull it out and look at the teeth on the starter and flywheel.

Hadn't yet installed it(still waiting for part to arrive) , that's why we were push starting it, to move the car someplace I could work on it (also need to replace ring gear on Kennedy flywheel). No previous problems with this transaxle, in fact, I just polished and painted the case and put 50-75 miles on it before starter pinion gear and flywheel ring gear ate each other(starter gear worked loose). I run a Gm 4.3 six and once before spun a pinion shaft when I gave it too much gas shifting into third gear, so I can only surmise something similar happened.
JRust
Wouldn't compression starting it in reverse start your motor going reverse? I could be nuckin futs confused24.gif . Some other genious chime in. I do have a spare side shift I could loan you if that is the problem. Are you able to shift it with out the motor running? Can you go through the gears?
messix
prolly broke the 1/r gears that hang off the back kinda not supported at all
rascobo
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 1 2010, 09:01 PM) *

Wouldn't compression starting it in reverse start your motor going reverse? I could be nuckin futs confused24.gif . Some other genious chime in. I do have a spare side shift I could loan you if that is the problem. Are you able to shift it with out the motor running? Can you go through the gears?

It seems to go through the gears, although roughly. Thanks for the offer to loan me one. I'll pull and examine this one ASAP to determine actual location and severity of the damage and whether I can find parts and make the repairs myself.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(messix @ Sep 2 2010, 09:07 AM) *

agree.gif

Reverse is the worst (hey, that almost rymes)
SirAndy
Wouldn't compression starting it in reverse start your motor going reverse?

No.

Just like your motor doesn't start spinning backwards every time you drive in reverse.
shades.gif Andy
messix
dave hunt had his running backwards once happy11.gif
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 2 2010, 12:22 PM) *

No.

Just like your motor doesn't start spinning backwards every time you drive in reverse.
shades.gif Andy

Yeah okay I was thinking of something else? Not sure what it was though blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 2 2010, 12:29 PM) *
Yeah okay I was thinking of something else? Not sure what it was though blink.gif

If you spin out backwards while still in a forward gear, you can spin your motor backwards ...

shades.gif Andy
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 2 2010, 12:33 PM) *

If you spin out backwards while still in a forward gear, you can spin your motor backwards ...

shades.gif Andy

Thats it! Phew I was worrying myself. Okay back on topic biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 2 2010, 12:22 PM) *

No.

shades.gif Andy

............... Unless you drive a Messerschmidt KR ..............

The Cap'n
Sleepin
Old diesels can sometimes be started with the engine in reverse rotation. Run like hell though from what I have heard.
dinomium
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 2 2010, 12:33 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

yeah, I been there done that... stoopid drag racing compound! In the rain!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(messix @ Sep 2 2010, 12:07 PM) *

Uh, ya agree.gif Push starting in a low gear (Revers is low) on a large engine (4.3l) = busted shaft/stripped teeth. Never push start in reverse, dont push start in a low gear.
rascobo
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 4 2010, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Sep 2 2010, 12:07 PM) *

Uh, ya agree.gif Push starting in a low gear (Revers is low) on a large engine (4.3l) = busted shaft/stripped teeth. Never push start in reverse, dont push start in a low gear.

Well, pulled the tranny last night and the rear cover is split wide-open, but I say it's got nothing to do with dropping the clutch in reverse! It's the guddamn gremlins, happy11.gif I swear I've seen them, loosening bolts, reversing wires, and...wait ...there's one now pulling back the access panel! MY GOD... WE'RE GONNA CRASH!! WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY STOP THEM? WHY WON'T ANYONE BELIEVE ME??? new_shocked.gif

screwy.gif

Ok, Ok, it's My fault. I promise I won't do it again.

BTW, JRust has a replacement He'll give me a good deal on, I'd best give him a call.

Thanks,
Scott

I'll try to post some pics. After all the hours I spent; grinding, filing, sanding and polishing or painting the case, You'll either laugh av-943.gif or cry hissyfit.gif ....I've done both.
JRust
Yeah just give me a ring when you are ready. I am around all weekend watching football. I've got a guy coming tommorow to pick up his new Bumblebee. I don't have anything going on monday. If you wanted to tow it down I'd be happy to help you put in the new one biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.