Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
icer9
I realize that this is likely a simple question, but can someone explian the difference between the side shifter and standard factory setup?
underthetire
Side shifter is a factory set up on 73+ cars. I'm sure Dr. Evil or someone can post pics, that would clear things up for you more than me trying to type an explanation.
elmonte

Try here all you would want to know about 914 trans

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php?tit...14_transmission

Cheers
pcar916
agree.gif The side-shifter is considered the more precise system. That's because it has fewer parts over a shorter distance and goes into the transaxle directly on the side rather than traveling to the back of the transmission first.

In the tail-shifter the shift rod is longer and moves with levers and cams located on the back of the transaxle housing. All those parts have more wiggle-factor in them and make for a pretty vague shift pattern, even when it's in perfect working order. The tail-shifter has more pieces at the bottom of the shifter inside the car as well.

That's because the early 914's and 911's had a ball and socket there, which reversed the right/left movement from the later 914's. That was to keep the shift pattern the same over all years from the driver's perspective.
icer9
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Sep 1 2010, 05:30 PM) *

agree.gif The side-shifter is considered the more precise system. That's because it has fewer parts over a shorter distance and goes into the transaxle directly on the side rather than traveling to the back of the transmission first.

In the tail-shifter the shift rod is longer and moves with levers and cams located on the back of the transaxle housing. All those parts have more wiggle-factor in them and make for a pretty vague shift pattern, even when it's in perfect working order. The tail-shifter has more pieces at the bottom of the shifter inside the car as well.

That's because the early 914's and 911's had a ball and socket there, which reversed the right/left movement from the later 914's. That was to keep the shift pattern the same over all years from the driver's perspective.

great, thanks. Was this an option, standard, or conversion?
mepstein
The 914 trans was first a 911 trans. When it was adapted for a 914 it was turned 180 so the shift rod went from being very short to very long. The side shifter reduced the length of the rod and made for a better shift.
brant
QUOTE(icer9 @ Sep 1 2010, 07:18 PM) *

early 914's came stock with a tail shift
(1970/71/72)

starting in 73, the factory upgraded the to what is called a "side shift"
and built them so in 1973/74/75/76

the 6 cylinder cars had a 3rd type of linkage that is also a side shift, but utilizing different parts in 1970/71/72

factory parts.
just an improvement by the factory that was instituted in 1973
icer9
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 1 2010, 09:22 PM) *

The 914 trans was first a 911 trans. When it was adapted for a 914 it was turned 180 so the shift rod went from being very short to very long. The side shifter reduced the length of the rod and made for a better shift.

Thanks. I'm local and just cut through Landenberg on my way to DE. Looking for a 914 for sale. If you know of any local for sale, let me know. I'll bring adult beverages for the trouble.
mepstein
Mine is down in VA at Scotty B's getting restored and converted to a 6. All the ones I've seen for sale have rust issues. They all look good in the pictures but the "minor surface rust" turns out to be hell hole, longs, floor pans, ect. $5-10K repairs. Ask me how I know... Unless your really lucky, buying someones restored car is the way to go. You can pick up a nice car for half what it costs to do yourself. Just make sure it was really "rustored", not bondo or fiberglassed over rust.

There's a air cooled car show in central NJ. Someone might have something nice for sale there.

Give a ring/email next time your coming through - Mark@MarkEpstein.net

icer9
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 1 2010, 10:04 PM) *

Mine is down in VA at Scotty B's getting restored and converted to a 6. All the ones I've seen for sale have rust issues. They all look good in the pictures but the "minor surface rust" turns out to be hell hole, longs, floor pans, ect. $5-10K repairs. Ask me how I know... Unless your really lucky, buying someones restored car is the way to go. You can pick up a nice car for half what it costs to do yourself. Just make sure it was really "rustored", not bondo or fiberglassed over rust.

There's a air cooled car show in central NJ. Someone might have something nice for sale there.

I'm looking for a restored, or close to restored. There is an ad on this site for an alaska blue 74 2.0. Looks good for 6500.00. Spoke withn the owner...said no issues, no rust. Appreciate the help.
happy to talk cars...I'll drop you a note when I come through. You can do the same when in malvern or center City (work). robert.schiller@compservicesinc.com
Tom_T
QUOTE(icer9 @ Sep 1 2010, 06:18 PM) *

welcome.png

70-72 was a tail shifter - which was great & short throw when turned around with the tail forward in the 911s/912s, but was a bit like scratching your left ear by reaching over your head with your right hand, rather than reaching up with your left! ... if you can picture that analogy ..... blink.gif

In 73 the factory converted it to a side-sift linkage for the rest of the run through 76 MY. So any 70-72 with a side-shift is a conversion, but all 73-76 side shifts are factory standard.

Basically any early tail shifter can be converted to side shifter, & in fact my 73 transaxle was rebuilt with the 73 innards in a 72 914/11... case (the original case was too worn inside. Look at Dr. Evil's video & the other info. noted above for more details.

BTW - If you're wanting to keep your early 914 as original for collectibility or concours reasons, then keep it tail shift but redo the bushings (& rebuild the transaxle if needed) to "tighten up the action.
icer9
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 1 2010, 10:04 PM) *

Hey Mark, it's Bobby in Malvern. When is the show in central NJ? Is it a 914 show specifically or Porsche show?
mepstein
http://www.allaircooledgathering.com/
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 1 2010, 06:37 PM) *
the 6 cylinder cars had a 3rd type of linkage that is also a side shift

The factory /6 cars had a tail shifter, similar to the early /4 cars ...

shades.gif Andy
brant
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 2 2010, 07:57 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 1 2010, 06:37 PM) *
the 6 cylinder cars had a 3rd type of linkage that is also a side shift

The factory /6 cars had a tail shifter, similar to the early /4 cars ...

shades.gif Andy

oops.. my mistake
I meant to say similar to a "tail shift"... but different.

oops.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.