Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sill Plates - replacing the black with the metal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjbunn
I want to replace the black plastic sill plates with a pair of aluminium plates, which I have on hand.

What is the best way of removing the plastic round headed rivets that hold the current sill plates in place, without damaging the plates? Drilling them out looks tricky.

I'd rather not rivet the metal plates, and want to use small self tapping round head screws (I'm not concerned about originality). Is there any practical disadvantage to doing this?

Thanks for any advice!
Mikey914
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Sep 2 2010, 09:14 AM) *

I want to replace the black plastic sill plates with a pair of aluminium plates, which I have on hand.

What is the best way of removing the plastic round headed rivets that hold the current sill plates in place, without damaging the plates? Drilling them out looks tricky.

I'd rather not rivet the metal plates, and want to use small self tapping round head screws (I'm not concerned about originality). Is there any practical disadvantage to doing this?

Thanks for any advice!

Try clear plastic rivets, I know another member sells them here
realred914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 2 2010, 09:19 AM) *

Thanks for any advice!

Try clear plastic rivets, I know another member sells them here

drill them out, hold stead, slow drill speed, just drill enough to remove the plastic rivit head, then off it comes.

good luck
dr914@autoatlanta.com
push the peg through the rivet with a very small drift and then replace them with the factory opaque rivets to keep the same hole dimension.

Thanks for any advice!

Tom_T

Thanks for any advice!

Julian, IMHO the factory should've used SS screws there to make removal for inspection of the longs easy! dry.gif

I just slide a single edge razor blade up under the heads & cut them off, then the peg drops or can easily be pushed through the hole. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc. sells those blades in 5 packs for paint scrapers, box cutters, etc., but just hold it flat by the reinforced back edge/corners, rock it back-n-forth to cut & go slow & careful so you don't cut into the threshold.
jjbunn
Thanks for all the great advice, folks!
Ian Stott
I used a sharp wood chisel and gave them a love tap and the head came off clean, make sure you go it from a pretty flat angle and you won't damage the plastic sills at all, or at least I didn't. The stem falls inside and I wasn't worried about that as they are plastic and can't harm anything. The Aluminium sills look great by the way.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
tod914
Hi JJ, easiest to push the pin through, then the rivet will come out. You could probally pull the pin up if you patient and want to save them. Porsche no longer makes the correct white you'll need for the sill plates, only clear. If you click down by my signature you can see what's involved in installing the ones I have for sale. Much much cheaper than what Porsche will charge. I'm waiting on a quote to have the OEM size duplicated exactly. Let me know if you need any.

Tod
BigDBass
For nearly 4 years I've been debating replacing my black ones with aluminum ones I have on hand, but that little thing known as originality thing keeps poking its ugly face in my bidness headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.