Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
f4fighter
Looking to install a FI engine. What am I getting myself into? How much trouble will this be? Can anyone help?
underthetire
welcome.png

And we will need more details, stock? Djet? Ljet? Megasquirt? something else? What year? What engine?
f4fighter
1972 stock FI engine. Not sure on the jets.
SLITS
No jets .... D-Jet FI ... make sure it comes with brain, harness, and the MPS. 1.7L
simonr
Make sure to replace all vacuum hoses , injector seals and correct fuel pressure. once up and running you will be very glad you went with FI .there are many great informative postings on this site . most on here are more than willing to quickly respond to questions, problems and parts locations.
charliew
A lot of studying and time using original used parts will probably frustrate you and kill the idea. A good bit of money spent with a good fi tech will maybe not frustrate you depending on your finances. The original fi from vw was good in 70 but fi has changed a lot since then and thats not a good system unless you are trying to stay original, In my opinion you will constantly be fixing the old parts.

Every question can get a answer but I'm thinking you may not yet know the questions so spend a lot of time with the search process. Bosch was the pioneer with electronic fi but it has progressed tremendously since 65.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 4 2010, 11:23 AM) *

A lot of studying and time using original used parts will probably frustrate you and kill the idea. A good bit of money spent with a good fi tech will maybe not frustrate you depending on your finances. The original fi from vw was good in 70 but fi has changed a lot since then and thats not a good system unless you are trying to stay original, In my opinion you will constantly be fixing the old parts.

Every question can get a answer but I'm thinking you may not yet know the questions so spend a lot of time with the search process. Bosch was the pioneer with electronic fi but it has progressed tremendously since 65.

I suppose but there are still tons of good used parts out there. I have 3 good systems (2.0L) in my garage for engines....
Djet is sooo simple all you do is plug in the matching parts and drive, thats the beauty of it. Ljet is almost as simple..
MS or Haltech will take alot of effort to do or buy Raby's SDS setup and install it.
realred914
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 4 2010, 07:23 AM) *

orignal parts can still work fine, not much to go wrong, the D-jet is simple simpler than a carborator in my opinion to tune and trouble shoot, once running they are great requiring little maintance. I have not been frusterated by the D-jet. the 1970's d-jet is still good, infact it works just fine now as it did in the 1970's why would that change any?

mainthing is make sure your electric wires are solid and hose leak free. indivicual componetns can last decades with no maintance. I would find conversion to other than D-jet more difficult assuming you have all the parts handy, I say do it, you wont regrete it.

LotusJoe
QUOTE(f4fighter @ Sep 3 2010, 04:02 PM) *

Looking to install a FI engine. What am I getting myself into? How much trouble will this be? Can anyone help?

I have a complete stock FI system for a 2.0 if your interested.
john rogers
Well I would doubt it will be easy unless there are some people close by that can help in person unless you are the type that can read the Haynes manual and Brad's info and figure out what to install and how to connect things OR you have access to a complete running 914 with D-Jet. Even in Southern CA the number of people that can do that complete conversion back are dying off it seems. While the old D-Jet system is simple by todays standards about every hose or electrical connection can give different and at times very confusing symptoms of a problem! If the engine is already plumbed and has all components installed it is easier but still a daunting task! I would suggest keeping the carbs if possible as they are easier to keep running.
roadster fan
Just my .02

If you do a little research and make sure you are matching the FI components it is not really that difficult. You need to be detail oriented and make sure hoses, wires, and connectors are in good shape but you need to do that with a modern system too.

I am extremely happy with my 71 1.7l d-jet setup. Especially when it comes to starting and driving in all conditions and altitudes.

Jim
realred914
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Sep 4 2010, 03:33 PM) *

Just my .02

If you do a little research and make sure you are matching the FI components it is not really that difficult. You need to be detail oriented and make sure hoses, wires, and connectors are in good shape but you need to do that with a modern system too.

I am extremely happy with my 71 1.7l d-jet setup. Especially when it comes to starting and driving in all conditions and altitudes.

Jim

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif piratenanner.gif flag.gif driving.gif cheer.gif driving-girl.gif piratenanner.gif santa_smiley.gif bye1.gif smilie_pokal.gif smash.gif first.gif driving-girl.gif
bugsy0
QUOTE(realred914 @ Sep 4 2010, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 4 2010, 07:23 AM) *

orignal parts can still work fine, not much to go wrong, the D-jet is simple simpler than a carborator in my opinion to tune and trouble shoot, once running they are great requiring little maintance. I have not been frusterated by the D-jet. the 1970's d-jet is still good, infact it works just fine now as it did in the 1970's why would that change any?

mainthing is make sure your electric wires are solid and hose leak free. indivicual componetns can last decades with no maintance. I would find conversion to other than D-jet more difficult assuming you have all the parts handy, I say do it, you wont regrete it.

agree.gif ...PO replaced the MPS on my motor but all I had to do for the past 5 years is clean elec. connections, replace hoses and read the docs. It is indeed much simpler to tune than carbs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.