Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After-market Radios & Speakers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trent1542
Hey, world
I was wondering what radios and speakers/sound systems you put in your 914's?
I want some insight before I make any kind of purchase.

Also I want to use the original speaker grills. I was also thinking about making my own center console box and cut a hole in it for a sub woofer. Anyone else done this?

Thanks biggrin.gif
underthetire
Yep. Alpine head unit, cross over 4" Panasonic fronts in the stock grills, Amp for sub up front, 8" in home made center console.
trent1542
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 4 2010, 03:15 PM) *

Yep. Alpine head unit, cross over 4" Panasonic fronts in the stock grills, Amp for sub up front, 8" in home made center console.

I have no idea what you just said confused24.gif biggrin.gif
only that you have 4" panasonic speakers and an 8" speaker in the console.
JTarver
What he means is the radio itself is an Alpine brand, 4 inch speakers in their stock position (crossover refers to how they are wired to avoid bass distortion in such a small speaker), an amplifier to well..amplify the bass that is wired into the 8 inch subwoofer (bass speaker).

Hope that clarifys things a bit.

I have a JVC head unit (stereo in the dash, people just call them head units.) Anyway, JVC CD player in mine, I don't really have pics of it, but I'll get some sooner or later. I am going to probably go with Morphs speaker grills which will house 6.5 inch speakers in the stock positions. They don't look completely stock, which makes no difference to me.
With any luck, they won't sound stock either. lol

If I ever add an amp/woofer to the mix, it will be because I have more important things done to the car, and have some free time to put it in right.

Joe
jsayre914
i am still in the process, but here is what is going in the rear trunk biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
I run a Kenwood head unit and amp. Infinity 6.5's in the doors. JL Audio 10 inch woofer in a custom box in place of the passenger toe kick.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JRust
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 4 2010, 05:42 PM) *

I run a Kenwood head unit and amp. Infinity 6.5's in the doors. JL Audio 10 inch woofer in a custom box in place of the passenger toe kick.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Man that sub looks familiar idea.gif
trent1542
ok thanks for the responses, I'm thing about getting these for my eventual sound system:

Sony DSX-S100 50W 4 channel Radio ($159.99)
Alpine "V-Power" 4 channel Amplifier ($204.99)
PolkAudio 6.5" DXi650 Mid Speakers (put in the door) ($99.99 2 Pair)
PolkAudio MM840 DVC 8" 250W cont./500W max Sub (Fit in custom console) ($139.95 1 Single)

What do you guys thing about that selection? good? bad?
Also, where would be a good place to put the amp?

could all this run off the stock alternator?????
jsayre914
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 5 2010, 01:27 AM) *

ok thanks for the responses, I'm thing about getting these for my eventual sound system:

PolkAudio 6.5" 180W Max Speakers (put in the door) ($99.99 2 Pair)
PolkAudio MM840 DVC 8" 250W cont./500W max Sub (Fit in custom console) ($139.95 1 Single)

your selection sounds OK but you said you have 2 pair 6.5's and a 8" sub. if i am reading this right you are short one channel. Unless you meant one pair of 6.5's and then you will bridge the other 2 channels, then you are fine. a lot of people put the amp in the front trunk on the firewall, you could also mount it behind a seat. I personnaly think it would look better up front. Make sure you fuse the lead to the amp on both ends.

as far as the amp, if you wanna bump, i would upgrade the alternator to the 75amp. they are a direct replacment and it can be done easily. check my blog for pics, i have just done this to my car.
76-914

Hey Jeff, Is that a CDA 105 head unit?
trent1542
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 5 2010, 08:37 AM) *

your selection sounds OK but you said you have 2 pair 6.5's and a 8" sub. if i am reading this right you are short one channel. Unless you meant one pair of 6.5's and then you will bridge the other 2 channels, then you are fine. a lot of people put the amp in the front trunk on the firewall, you could also mount it behind a seat. I personnaly think it would look better up front. Make sure you fuse the lead to the amp on both ends.

as far as the amp, if you wanna bump, i would upgrade the alternator to the 75amp. they are a direct replacment and it can be done easily. check my blog for pics, i have just done this to my car.

I was thinking about putting 2 channels onto the 8" sub since the guy that was helping me at the store said it had that ability.
How much would the 75-amp alternator conversion cost?
used? new?
I'll check your blog too.
underthetire
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 5 2010, 09:01 AM) *

Hey Jeff, Is that a CDA 105 head unit?

I think so, i'd have to find the manual to check, but sounds right. I LOVE this deck. Not a ton of buttons, not a lot of "bling". Has all the crossover stuff built in.
underthetire
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Sep 4 2010, 10:27 PM) *

PolkAudio 6.5" 180W Max Speakers (put in the door) ($99.99 2 Pair)

Not a Sony fan for car audio myself. Thought you wanted to put speakers in the stock location? 6.5's won't work. I run a 150 watt high current amp for the sub only (bridged) deck power with the crossover set at about 160HZ for the smaller speakers. Stock charging system works ok for this, but I do see a small voltage drop if i'm really pushing the system. THis simple system is loud and clear enough for the teener no problem. Think I have about 250 in to the whole thing. ( have piles of old amps around).

Can't go wrong with POLK. Good choice on speakers.
trent1542
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 5 2010, 10:23 AM) *

Not a Sony fan for car audio myself. Thought you wanted to put speakers in the stock location? 6.5's won't work. I run a 150 watt high current amp for the sub only (bridged) deck power with the crossover set at about 160HZ for the smaller speakers. Stock charging system works ok for this, but I do see a small voltage drop if i'm really pushing the system. THis simple system is loud and clear enough for the teener no problem. Think I have about 250 in to the whole thing. ( have piles of old amps around).

Can't go wrong with POLK. Good choice on speakers.

I was thinking about putting the 6.5"s in the doors. If you have a nice sounding 4" speaker pair then I will use that in the stock location instead of doing a custom door install with the 6.5" pair. biggrin.gif
trent1542
could my amp fit in a homemade center console?
Alpine "V-Power" 4 channel Amplifier
underthetire
I think getting a larger amp like that one would be tough to get in a center console and not have it get in the way, and keep enough air around it so it doesn't overheat. I posted here a while back hat Frys had a 4X6 plate system from polk or infinity, can't remember witch. IMO you need to crossover all small speakers unless you can fully enclose them. The doors work ok, but some cars will rattle the insides of the doors enough to drive you crazy. With a Sub, you have more options, since you don't need bass in the small speakers and only use them for mids and highs. There is a guy on this forum with a V8 914 thats local who REALLY knows stereos. IMO you really don't need much in a 914 because of the small cabin. My little 4" cheapo Panasonic will make your ears ring and be very clear.
RJMII
I was thinking about putting the 6.5"s in the doors. If you have a nice sounding 4" speaker pair then I will use that in the stock location instead of doing a custom door install with the 6.5" pair.

You can fit the 6.5"s in the stock location with the pods that are on Morph's site:

http://www.914ap.com/products.php

underthetire
agree.gif
And he has the footwell sub enclosure. If I wasn't sooo cheap I would have gone that way.
trent1542
QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 5 2010, 02:29 PM) *

I was thinking about putting the 6.5"s in the doors. If you have a nice sounding 4" speaker pair then I will use that in the stock location instead of doing a custom door install with the 6.5" pair.

You can fit the 6.5"s in the stock location with the pods that are on Morph's site:

http://www.914ap.com/products.php

cool thanks, I think I will go with those 6.5" panels smile.gif
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 5 2010, 02:50 PM) *

...the doors work ok, but some cars will rattle the insides of the doors enough to drive you crazy.

thanks for the warning, it's people like you that save me time and money biggrin.gif
NC_Colfax
I have a Apline sometime...works well BUT I can't hear it anyway when I'm driving. I like the sound of my exhaust

Corner speaker and door speakers
MoveQik
Alpine CDA 9856 deck. Works awesome with complete iPod control so I just throw the iPod in the glove box. Alpine 6.5" speakers with small Alpine amp. Gets loud enough to hear even with the top down and looks nice and clean.

I used Morphs speaker pods for the 6.5's. These pods should go into the 914 Hall of Fame for practical solutions.

IPB Image

IPB Image
trent1542
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 5 2010, 05:00 PM) *

Alpine CDA 9856 deck. Works awesome with complete iPod control so I just throw the iPod in the glove box. Alpine 6.5" speakers with small Alpine amp. Gets loud enough to hear even with the top down and looks nice and clean.

I used Morphs speaker pods for the 6.5's. These pods should go into the 914 Hall of Fame for practical solutions.

IPB Image

IPB Image

wow those look great! shades.gif
iamchappy
Alpine cd mp3 player drives the Alpine type R 5 1/4 in the doors, 2-8" Quart subs driven by Alpine a T220 amp, and 6.5 kick panel speakers driven by Alpine a T240 amp.
trent1542
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 5 2010, 06:44 PM) *

Alpine cd mp3 player drives the Alpine type R 5 1/4 in the doors, 2-8" Quart subs driven by Alpine a T220 amp, and 6.5 kick panel speakers driven by Alpine a T240 amp.

whoa what kinda alternator do you got on that thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.