Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: My dog is losing his boys tomorrow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
So, Euro, the German Shepherd is getting his testimacles snipped off.

IPB Image

He's been having problems with excess smegma (huh huh huh... he said smegma) dripping from his penile area. Vet says it's because it's breeding season and his testosterone and hormones are in overdrive.

Also, we aren't breeding him, so the boys gotta go.

So tonite, have a cold one "for the boys"

beerchug.gif
Jeroen
I feel his pain... wacko.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
(who had a visectomy 2 weeks ago)
boxstr
I have been suffering from inflamed hemoroids lately. I can feel the pain.
I hope to get into see the Dr. next week. She has very warm and gentle hands and I feel safe when I drop my boxstrs.
CCLINPREPERATIONH
J P Stein
Here's a couple topics I coulda done without.

A drippy dicked dog and "Ohmycrackedandbleedin'assCCLIN"
Qarl
Hey JP...

You should seen the big zit on my back I popped last night. Too bad the bateries were dead in the digital camera!
J P Stein
QUOTE(kellzey @ Apr 15 2004, 11:38 AM)
Too bad the bateries were dead in the digital camera!

God grants us all small favors rolleyes.gif
Mueller
great timing with it being lunch time on the West.....guess I'll have that Slimfast instead of the Chinese food icon8.gif
rick 918-S
Ya, Well get him a bag of frozen pea's for the swelling, and the remote, and a nice pillow, a... wait a minute!...that was m... oh never mind!
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(kellzey @ Apr 15 2004, 12:38 PM)

You should seen the big zit on my back I popped last night.

Qarl must be a contorsionist to do his own back...
hmmmmm... idea.gif the mind could wander wondering what else he might be able to contort himself to do laugh.gif

..........b
boxstr
Euro Can do it, maybe he taught Karl or could it be the other way around. laugh.gif
CCLINMMMMTHATFEELSGOOD
Jenny
Poor thing. He's known those to be there as long as he can remember, and after a trip to the vet, all of a sudden there will be a void where once there were balls. ohmy.gif

Snoopy's due to be de-balled as well. Right after a rendezvous with his girlfriend Dia in June. mueba.gif

Jen
Joe Bob
Old Far Side cartoon.....

One dog leaning out the window talking to another dog.....

"Nanner, nanner, I'm going to the Vet to get "tutored"....."

Always cracks me up....
Qarl
I feel kinda sad and feel like I'm being cruel.

However, the Vet also said it will reduce his chance of testicular cancer or prostititis in the future as well, and will make him a kinder gentler dog.

I'm not sure how that's possible, as he is the most affectionate, cuddly dog I have ever had (although he's the only dog I've owned).

Euro actually tries to climb up and curl in my lap sometimes. He thinks I hung the moon, and is truly my four-legged pal.

And no one can lick his nutsack like Euro can. There's nothing like waking up at 3:30 am and listening to lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick!

Now, he'll just have to lick a little less!
Jenny
Yes, I've heard healthwise it's better for puppy to be snipped. As far as temperment, I think that's BS. I've met Snoopy's dad, and he's totally mellow and laid back. And he is, of course, intact. I think behavior-wise, it's a 50/50 shot. My uncle's lab was just neutered (at 4mos) and even though he was house trained before, now he can't control himself and piddles whenever he's exited or there are other people around. Puppies are usually hyper until around 2-3 years old. Then they naturally calm down. Whatever. I don't want Snoopy getting testicular cancer either, so we'll be going thru the same process in a couple months. And he'll have to wear that pathetic elizabethan collar too.

Jen
Qarl
Euro has the best temperment. He loves kids, and people that we are comfortable around. If there is a man in the house, he will bark to assert himself. He has never bitten anyone.

Once, he pinned a guy to the wall with his snarling teeth near the guys nuts, and the guy left and never came back. My dog's trainer said that the guy was either mischievous or was giving off some really bad vibe that the dog detected.

Euro super is affectionate, but he also knows when it's time to do his job and protect.

German Shepherd Dogs tend to be more affected by neutering as far as temperment goes, compared to other breeds. I can only imagine that Euro will get even more affectionate.... sheez! wub.gif

One of the neat things about shepherds is their natural hearding instincts. I witnessed Euro around a bunch of one and two year olds. He circled around them and kept them confined to a small area. It was kind of cool to watch.

He's also pretty darn smart. We had to change all of the exterior door locks on the house as he kept escaping whenever I was outside mowing the lawn. I watched him manipulate three sets of doors with his paws and teeth to get out. He just wanted to be near me. He has never escaped to get out and wander. He knows he has it good at our house.
Qarl
Jenny,

You have a pug? I like pugs. They look like they have cute little personalities.
Rouser
De-nutting ... oh, gosh; this is why every pet the wife & I have ever owned was female. I know that having a pet spayed is literally gutting the repro organs, but at least there's no external evidence of the deed. After previously dealing with 2 cats and a dog going into their first "heat," it's a quick trip to the vet, PRONTO!

The wife thinks I'm biased, but I just take being neutered "personally."
TJB/914
Oh my Gosh!! For a while I thought you guys were talking about Presidential Hopeful John Kerry
red914
one of these posts reminds me of a joke:

two drunks were walking down the sidewalk after an all night bender, when they chance upon a dog. the dog sits down in front of them, and begins to lick himself.

the drunks stop and watch for a moment, and then one of them says, "i sure wish i could do that."

the other drunk looks back at the dog, then turns to his friend and replies, "well go ahead, i don't think the dog will mind."
Jenny
Karl, I have a beagle (see pic in "someone tried to steal my roller" thread) The picture merely served as an illustration of what an elizabethan collar looks like.

My next dog (aside from one of Snoopy's puppies) will either be a pug or a boston terrier. I've test driven both breeds extensively at the dog park. They are both affectionate towards people, but bostons will play with other dogs more, whereas pugs really just prefer the company of people.

Jen
soloracer
Kellzey: I know how you feel. I have to take my GSD (Riley) in to the vet for his "operation". Part of the contract I signed with the breeder was that I would get him fixed before he was 1 year old. He was born in June so he still has a month or two left. I was joking with my friends that I would get a picture taken of him with a cone and me standing next to him wearing a sympathy cone. laugh.gif Or maybe put cones on my hands so that I can't put my porsche keys in the ignition.... laugh.gif
krk
So... like I wanna talk about de-nutting a dog....

Neutering male dogs at an appropriate age does change how they grow up. Doing it on an older dog can have a quieting effect. The older the dog, perhaps the less the effect. Different breeds react differently. (fighting breeds vs. companion breeds, etc)

If you ain't breeding him, neuter him. And do it at the right time. (before maturity -- your vet will prolly know) The dominance thing starts at an age (breed specific) and doesn't improve over time. The business of saying "he should get this" or "that" before the deed is done is projecting human thoughts or emotions on a dog -- he ain't a human -- thinking of him like one will just mess with your head. Your companion will likely have less agreesion and dominance tendencies when the testosterone supply is ended. Nuke it before he's an adult.

(where on earth do I hear about this stuff???? sheesh ... was around the pure bred game for a several years -- miss my std schnauzer to this day -- Jake was with us for 15 yrs and can not be replaced. So we have no dog)

IANAL. IAMAV. YMMV. ETC.

kim.
Curvie Roadlover
Seamus got snipped at about 1 year old. It mellowed him out. He was always trying to get out of the backyard and cruise for chicks and he wasn't smart enough to be able to find his own way home. After the snippage he was content to sit home on a saturday night (or any other night, for that matter). Here's a pre snip pic:
Curvie Roadlover
and post snip (by a few years)
dralf
I can't wait to show this link to my woman. She is training Shepherds and keeps telling me that one day when they become great she will breed them and make so much money that I can have a whole fleet of Porsches......I will hold my breath and testicles until that days comes smile.gif
d7n7master
I've been told that having the snip before they're 6 months old can cause dogs to be less aggressive than they might have been when they mature. I heard that from a close friend that had a rottie that came from BIG rotties. They had small kids & didn't want to take a chance... He grew up to be 160lb sweetie. Never the less - A moment of silence is requested prior to the SNIPPING... beer3.gif
We have two dogs. A rottie/black lab mix & a dobbie/german shepard mix. Both girlz. Had both fixed before they were 6 months old. Great dogs. They get along great. Maybe too great... smilie_rolli_1.gif wavey.gif
redshift
I thought the Rap Star (your Rappin' Homey) that you, 'run with' was going to jail, or something... thereby, losing his, 'posse'.

For instance:

"Yo dawg, I'm goin' camin' in da mownin'.. gwan be missin' da boys, -G-."

.... and so on..

M
Qarl
I thought the Rap Star (your Rappin' Homey) that you, 'run with' was going to jail, or something... thereby, losing his, 'posse'.

For instance:

"Yo dawg, I'm goin' camin' in da mownin'.. gwan be missin' da boys, -G-."

.... and so on..

huh? confused24.gif

No speak Miles talk!
Bleyseng
I think its cruel beyond belief that you would do this to your son's dog, Karl!

This is not good Karma! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Now I know why Jeroen has been soo quiet lately! Can't sit in the computer chair! laugh.gif
Qarl
His balls were bigger than mine, anyways! Too much competition around here!

laugh.gif
campbellcj
I wish I had snipped my dog sooner...not sure it would've helped anyway as he is just a mean SOB. (IIRC he was over 6mos but not quite full grown.) He almost killed the vet assistant when they tried to take him out of the kennel to sedate him and bring him to the OR.

When I heard that I said "well do you blame him?!?!?!" lol2.gif

Now he is 10yrs old and has mellowed out "a little" from old age. blink.gif
Qarl
Soloracer,

You've got a handsome GSD as well.

Here he is...

IPB Image

P.S. Riley is the one not wearing the hat!
SpecialK
excess smegma (huh huh huh... he said smegma) dripping from his penile area

Eeewwww!!!...Dog butter! barf.gif

Probably got them "dog pecker-gnat flies" buzzin' around too....you know, the ones that come out of no where when you sit down to eat a salad huh.gif

Anyway, you could always spring for a set of prosthetic dog nuts (I heard about them somewhere idea.gif ), only a couple of Franklins extra, and maybe he wouldn't even notice they were missing!
Jenny
QUOTE(Special_K @ Apr 15 2004, 10:56 PM)
Anyway, you could always spring for a set of prosthetic dog nuts

Yeah, I heard some show dogs had those (cheaters!). Breeders wanted all the benefits of having neutered dogs, but you can only show unaltered ones. confused24.gif

I thougth about them for Snoop as well, but I think they'd be like fake boobies. They probably won't hang or bounce right. ohmy.gif

Jen
Curvie Roadlover
I think fake balls will help neutered dogs with their confidence and self image. smile.gif
John2kx
My five year old GS starting jumping fence and running the streets at night. Signed him up for the operation and it's been 3 weeks now. He has jumped fence at least twice since but Vet. says it can take several weeks for this to take full effect.

John
Qarl
May we have a moment of silence for the gonads....
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(red914 @ Apr 15 2004, 07:37 PM)
one of these posts reminds me of a joke:

two drunks were walking down the sidewalk after an all night bender, when they chance upon a dog. the dog sits down in front of them, and begins to lick himself.

the drunks stop and watch for a moment, and then one of them says, "i sure wish i could do that."

the other drunk looks back at the dog, then turns to his friend and replies, "well go ahead, i don't think the dog will mind."

Damn it Red you stole my thoughts! laugh.gif
But mine ends....
Damn I wish I could do that? The owners says,..If you talk nice to him he might letcha. huh.gif

Po lil feller is gonna loose his danglers, what a shame. I second the motion for the moment of silence. As I squeeze my legs tightly and cringe.

Mine don't work, but I like to keep them around for asthetic purposes. laugh.gif
tdgray
I think fake balls will help neutered dogs with their confidence and self image.  

OMFG Curvie - I just about pee'd myself on that one. laugh.gif
maf914
Qarl,

I don't know how much those things weigh, but when you whack them off your dog is going to understeer! You know push or plow? laugh.gif

Just trying to get this back to an automotive theme! rolleyes.gif

Mike
soloracer
Reminds me of a t-shirt that I read once "Golf, Soccer and Tennis need only 1 ball. Racing requires two" Looks like our dogs won't be allowed at the track this summer laugh.gif
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(maf914 @ Apr 16 2004, 09:00 AM)
Qarl,

I don't know how much those things weigh, but when you whack them off your dog is going to understeer!  You know push or plow?   laugh.gif

Just trying to get this back to an automotive theme!   rolleyes.gif

Mike

I would think oversteer since you're removing weight from the rear. You may need to get stiffer front paws, or perhaps add a wicker bill to your dogs' tail
Curvie Roadlover
So, Ckarle, How 'bout an update. How's he doin? huh.gif
Curvie Roadlover
? confused24.gif
Qarl
I brought the miserable beast home today.

He is not happy.

He gets separation anxiety when he is away form me. He wore the top of his snout raw trying to get out of the dog run at the vet's boarding facility.

He drank a gallon of water when he got home (literally).

He's walking funny, but I would too if my nutsack was swollen.

He will get better day by day.

Thanks for asking.

P.S. - I sure did miss him. I found myself wandering around the house late at night feeling anxious. Turned out, my body was waiting for me to go for my nightly dog walk. Euro has me trained well!
Qarl
I gave him an entire "I feel really guilty" grilled chicken breast for dinner tonight.

Euro goes bonkers over chicken.
MattR
We had our siberian husky "gone over" when we got him as a pup. It was probably a good idea. He is a little older then 2 and he is still REALLY hyper. I cant imagine what he would be like with his boys still with him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.