Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil bath air filter vacuum routing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I'm sure I'm the first person to ever remove something without paying enough attention to know how to put it back together properly. I remember all the big diameter hoses, but there are 2 small diameter hoses ('72 1.7l) that route into the underside of the air filter. One goes to the thing that controls the flapper, the other is green. They plug right next to each other. does it matter which one goes where? I've checked half a dozen vacuum hose schematics and none show these oil bath air filter hoses.
realred914
QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 4 2010, 07:31 PM) *

I'm sure I'm the first person to ever remove something without paying enough attention to know how to put it back together properly. I remember all the big diameter hoses, but there are 2 small diameter hoses ('72 1.7l) that route into the underside of the air filter. One goes to the thing that controls the flapper, the other is green. They plug right next to each other. does it matter which one goes where? I've checked half a dozen vacuum hose schematics and none show these oil bath air filter hoses.

so you have a preheat aircleaner oil type is what it sould like (you mention the flapper with the hose) the green hose if it comes from the distributor vacuum can goes to the throotle body. I am note sure ont eh color of the hoses for the preheater "flapper" but its hose should come from the intake plemum, (the big black metal can the four intake runners are connecected too that go to the heads)

dont mix up teh distributor vacumm hose with the pre-heater hose, that can effect timng.

see Haynes diagrams on pages 40-41 (1989 edition page numbers)
bradtho
thanks for the response. didn't realize there were multiple types of the oil bath filters. mine's pretty stock to the best of my knowledge. This is a different green hose than the throttle body vacuum hose, though it's the same diameter. If I follow it the other way it joins with a larger diameter grey hose that runs right next to the Oil filler cap. the other hose in question is black and runs from the thing that controls the flapper to the underside of the clean air out.

even I'm having a hard time following what I'm saying! Here's a shot of underneath the air cleaner. this is still on the air cleaner, it is right above the throttle body. The hose on the left is green (a different green hose from the green hose that feeds into the throttle body). The one on the right is black and routes to the other arm of the air cleaner into the thing that controls the flapper. Sorry for angle of picture, it's a 914 engine compartment, perhaps you've heard it's kinda tight in there.

bottom-line, is this correct, or should they be switched? or doesn't matter?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.