Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Niklas
Ok I have bougth to 914 a -72 and a -73 after reading this forum.
I have been renovating VW:s for more than 20 years so I know those cars.
I will start renovate them within a month. I am very excited for it.
I realy like to do the work with the body - rust etc.

I have never been driving one just Vw:s.
It was smaller inside then I thought when I was sitting in one last week.

I am thinking of making one strictly original and the other one
more of a race inspired look. The original whill be black and
the other one is original black too buth I am thinking of making it signal orange
with fender flares. Is it ok to use plastic fender flares ?
I got them with the car and I am wondering if it is ok to cut the car or
should I leave it original too or maybe use steel ones?

Will I be happy with driving the 914:s when I am ready ?

Niklas
carr914
Do the car up the way you want IF you are going to keep it. If it will be short term, your taste's may not match buyers. By that I mean, a lot of people don't like color switchs and F/G flares may not appeal. F/G flares are OK if done right, but remember if you flare, you are going to need bigger wheels, which will lead to bigger brakes, more motor, etc.

Will you be happy driving a 914 - that depends on what your expectations are. If you like driving a go-cart, you'll love it.

T.C.
Ian Stott
Just post a picture with your great big smiling face after your first drive in your own 914, your question will be answered!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Mark Henry
No matter how much money you spend on a bug it will never handle as nice as a 914. They drive different (if you like/have big engine bugs) you can not just slide the ass around, because once the rear breaks loose on a 914 you're spinning out. That said you can take corners real fast compared to a bug.
I've driven standard and super bugs, buses, T3 squarebacks, 911, 924, 944 and my 914 is my favorite.

A lot of guys do not like colour changes, but it's your car so do what you like. The fiberglass flares work fine if you do them right.

Post a couple of pictures of your old VW's.
ConeDodger
welcome.png

To answer your question about what it is like to drive a 914 I think it is best to answer with a question...

Ever driven a go-kart Niklas??? biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
It is not a modern car. You should be fine with that since you like beetles. The cars feel very vintage when you drive them. You are totally connected with the road. No power steering, brakes, anything. Speed is different in a 914. 60 feels fast. 70 feels to me like 90 in my Subaru. This can get you in trouble when you get back in a modern car. Also when driving a 914 you feel like it is even smaller then a beetle due to the low seating.

Zach
Bleyseng
Hmmm, I feel just the oposite as to me going 70MPH in a 914 feels slow....going 90-100mph feels just right. If the car has a rebuilt suspension then its very smooth going down the road just like on rails, very smooth. A gokart is the closest to it...it turns a 914 is glued to the road. Even AXing if its setup right, you know how far to push it before it spins so you can push until that point
76-914
Like it? ou'll get the "914 Grin" from ear to ear.
NC_Colfax
I am a new 914 owner and I love my car.
Derek Seymour
Would you be pleased to have sex with a Supermodel??????

I think that about covers it
piratenanner.gif
underthetire
Out of all the cars i've owned, it the funnest by far. Not the fastest, but I get the most enjoyment out of the little underpowered VW go-cart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.