Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need six engine removal info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
I am pulling a six but feel I may have been doing it the hard way.
1.What is height needed to bottom of rear bumper for engine (carbs) to clear with a j headbang.gif headbang.gif acket bracket from Pelican (makes one man removal possible)
2. Can muffler and headers all stay on.
3. Starter
4. What is trick to clearing axles
I know this is elementary stuff but trying to may a switch a simple as possible.
Thanks in advance
Terry
Ericv1
I had to get my cars rear 31 inches off the ground to clear the carbs. This measurement was from the bottom of the bumper to the ground. It also included taking off the rear valence. The key to clearing the axles is to pull it out slow so the axles can clear the carbs. The headers and muffler can stay on as well as the starter. I had to remove my air cleaners and wrap the carbs in paper towels and tape them shut so no debris would enter.
The easiest way to actually remove the engine was to unhook all of the cables, accelerator rod, oil lines, and axles. Then raise a jack up to support the engine and raise a secondary jack to support the transmission. Unscrew the four 13mm nuts that mount the transmission mounts. Unscew the large bolts on the engine mounts and slowly lower the engine and transmission and let them rest on 2-1000lb dolleys that you can purchase form the Home Depot for $19.99 a piece. Finally, I jack up the car to the measurements above and pull out the engine and transmission as one unit. It takes a little time especially if your one guy alone. But it's safe as your intially only lowering the engine and transmission 5-6 inches versus 20-25 inches the other way. Installation of the engine is just as easy.
IronHillRestorations
Taking off the carbs and starter help.
sixaddict
Thanks ....just about ready tp drop.....This is a fun day...Pulling two and reinstalling one ...Apparently bent a valve so I am "canibalizing" to make next week's DE.
Or at least trying !
TOT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.