Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear sway bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
so I have Weltmeister 19mm front and want to settle back a little (not a lot)

I am running 140# coil overs but can feel the rear transfering more weight than front.

PCA will want stock rear bar or will move me to improved, not sure I care

Thoughts?

What kind of body mounts do I need? welder.gif

Thanks
Will
General consensus here seems to be you don't need the rear.

Heavier Springs? I have #200 and KYB's in the rear of 2056. I have 22mm Welt bar up front with Bilsteins

Others will chime in smarter that me tho.....

There are two little brackets that that weld to underside. Also there is a mount for the bottom of the shock IIRC.

Good Luck...Ken
qa1142
What ever happened to softer springs and bigger bars confused24.gif

I don't need my teeth to fall out on the street, just want my car to stick in corners

please more people pipe in, heaver springs only if I move to more weight like 3.2L, mine is 2.0L 4

ConeDodger
I run the stock rear bar in autocross and unhook it for track events... But I have a torque biasing differential and you don't... piratenanner.gif I would run a stock rear bar for street and autocross.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Sep 5 2010, 05:26 AM) *

What ever happened to softer springs and bigger bars confused24.gif

I don't need my teeth to fall out on the street, just want my car to stick in corners

please more people pipe in, heaver springs only if I move to more weight like 3.2L, mine is 2.0L 4

Softer springs and bigger bar is exactly the philosophy I apply. To the front. Stock torsion bars and a Tarret bar.
DanT
depends on how soft the front is..
where do you currently have your front bar set at?
what front and rear shocks are you running?

if you have adjustable Konis you can use them to make up for the front and rear balance.
Typically if you are running stock front torsion bars and 140# rear springs everyone thinks the rear will be loose.
Depends on how you are running the front settings.

need more information on what you have for front and rear shocks, front torsion bars, and alignment settings before real information can be given out that will help.
qa1142
Bilstein front and rear sports

Stock front torsion bars

140# coil overs with adjustable perches

Weltmeister 19mm front

No rear bar

Pictures from autoX show more chassis roll than I think I should have, I just know what will happen next if I add front bar without having rear bar or more spring

but changing springs is PITA while dialing up bar is easy

DanT
so you have static settings on your shocks, so no adjustability there.... smile.gif

with your current setup, you can't go too stiff on the front bar because you will begin to get push....
If you do not want to change springs or torsion bars, you may end up having to use a stock rear bar to help front rear balance...
that way you can stiffen the front bar a bit more and still not get push since you have added a bit more stiffness in the rear with a stock bar.
I am considering doing the same with my car, if I can't dial mine up with my Koni adjustables.

post a few of your AX pics. The cars roll more than you think even with bigger torsion bars and sway bars....you may not be that far off right now.
Borderline
One theory is that a rear sway bar will tend to lift the inside rear tire in the corner. This will cause that tire spin when you are trying to accelerate out of the corner (slowing you down). That's why they say to go with a stiff front sway bar and balance it out with stiff rear springs. You still get weight transfer but not as bad as with the sway bar. You definitely lose out on ride comfort with the stiffer rear springs!! If you get a limited slip diff you can go either way. FWIW
sean_v8_914
please define intended car usage. sounds like mostly a street car with rare AX events.
stiff bars with stock soft springs is a good compromise used to make a soft street car handle a bit better...but it is a compromise, it's gonna roll.
IMO 140 rear is the upper limit before changing the front torsions. Yes you can run some 165 but that will NEED almost full stiff on your 19mm front bar
I'll wait to hear about how you want to drive it.....to say more
...and what Dan said
Vysoc
If you are wanting to know what is involved in putting in a rear sway bar. Go to Pelican Parts Technical info/Suspension and rear sway bars they have very nice explanation and pictures. I just put my Rear Sway Bar in my 75, I like it very much, it is much more stable. I will AX rarely so the RSB makes since for me.

Thanks,

Vysoc

I guess you are the only guy that thought that video was funny? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.