Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sway bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
I think am ready now to add sway bars to my 72.
For street use which is the best way to go?
Should I do front and rear or start with the rear first and see how it handels?
Is this something I could do in my garage?
Give me a breif run down on the install process.
tradisrad
Lots of guys don't use a rear sway bar.

If you car does not have a factory sway bar then you will need to cut and drill. I am not sure, but you may need to remove the gas tank. Check this link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ont_swaybar.htm
tomh
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Sep 5 2010, 08:32 AM) *

If you car does not have a factory sway bar then you will need to cut and drill. I am not sure, but you may need to remove the gas tank. Check this link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ont_swaybar.htm

so whats the exact differnce between a through the body v. under body front bar as far as performance?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tomh @ Sep 5 2010, 07:59 AM) *

so whats the exact differnce between a through the body v. under body front bar as far as performance?

First of all, I can't believe Porsche/VW made a single one of these cars without a swaybar. The difference is absolutely astonishing. Second, don't you dare put the rear on first and drive the car. If you do, please warn me so I can stay off of the roads you drive.

Yes, do it. Best modification you can do to a non-swaybar car. Do front first, rear is optional but if you have both go for it. Be sure to get the rear sway bar shock bolts when you buy a rear bar. They are as hard to find as real sixes. It makes no difference whether you go through the body or under. Stock was through.

edit: I just noticed you're in San Jose. Rich Bontempi will have the shock bolts. You will remember forever what he charged you for them, but he is a great guy and he has them. Something to be said for not having to look for them forever!
tomh
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 5 2010, 09:10 AM) *

First of all, I can't believe Porsche/VW made a single one of these cars without a swaybar. The difference is absolutely astonishing. Second, don't you dare put the rear on first and drive the car. If you do, please warn me so I can stay off of the roads you drive.

Yes, do it. Best modification you can do to a non-swaybar car. Do front first, rear is optional but if you have both go for it. Be sure to get the rear sway bar shock bolts when you buy a rear bar. They are as hard to find as real sixes. It makes no difference whether you go through the body or under. Stock was through.

so the weltmiser bar with the adapter kit so I do not have to go through the body would be the way to go as far as ease of install but wouldent be the "pure" way to do it.
I have tryed to keep with the spiret of corretness however I do not like cutting up my car.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tomh @ Sep 5 2010, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 5 2010, 09:10 AM) *

so the weltmiser bar with the adapter kit so I do not have to go through the body would be the way to go as far as ease of install but wouldent be the "pure" way to do it.
I have tryed to keep with the spiret of corretness however I do not like cutting up my car.

I think it is a pretty easy install. Pain in the tail is removing the fuel tank but I think having the correct factory engineered part is a bonus you get for doing that bit of work. Heck, sell the Welty and pay someone to install the stock one...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.