Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some assembly required
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldsgeek
aktion035.gif I finally got my first 914, first Porsche actually. A friend of my daughters fiance had this 1974 1.8l from his father. Most of the rust has been fixed just a little crusty in a few spots. They had taken it apart to complete the restoration then the guy got married and had 2 kids. He got tired of looking at it and sold it to me for $1000. The only missing piece as far as I can tell is the windshield which broke when they removed it. And the people his father bought it from had installed a single Weber so I have to either find a full L-Jet system or a set of Weber dowdrafts. It even came with 2 sets of factory keys with valet keys.
IPB Image
IPB Image
Gigamight
I need to show this picture to UHaul!!! Told them a 914 will fit on their trailer, but nooooooooo.....

Anyways, welcome. Nice looking car, looks like a nice winter project.

The car I just bought has that same front spoiler, but I think yours is in better shape than mine.

welcome.png
ldsgeek
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Sep 5 2010, 08:41 AM) *

I need to show this picture to UHaul!!! Told them a 914 will fit on their trailer, but nooooooooo.....

Anyways, welcome. Nice looking car, looks like a nice winter project.

The car I just bought has that same front spoiler, but I think yours is in better shape than mine.

welcome.png

They have 2 different car transporter trailers. The first one they chose for me wouldn't have fit but the lady behind the counter checked on this one and it, obviously, fit fine.
RJMII
Looks like you have a fun winter ahead of you! I'm looking forward to seeing your project come together. smile.gif
76-914
I can see why you bought it; it winked at you.
PanelBilly
When they say winter project it means the next 10 winters, but you'll have plenty of fun along the way

welcome to the family. Ask all the questions you need
jsayre914
piratenanner.gif

That looks like a lot of fun, congrats. I hope you are patient. biggrin.gif

welcome.png
qa1142
welcome.png

All depends on how much time you have and how far North you are....

Winters are longer in the North and you can get more done sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif stirthepot.gif
NC_Colfax
Looks like a ton of fun.
I was really close to buying a "car in a box truck" but I am glad I settled on a driver.

Good luck and stay with it. I have found this site to have the best info anywhere on the net.
rick 918-S
welcome.png
underthetire

welcome.png And that Fuch hubcap is awesome!
charliew
Welcome to the world of 914's where anything is possible with lots of patience. Your car seems like a good starting point. Look it over closely and find a nice dry place for it and all the parts. Be sure and label all the small bolts and pieces that aren't obvious where they go. You might want to aquirt some auto tranny fluid or light oil into the sparkplug holes to help keep the motor from getting stuck while it's setting around. Good luck and have fun.
carr914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 5 2010, 10:10 PM) *

Yep, a J.C.Whitney classic
underthetire
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 5 2010, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 5 2010, 10:10 PM) *

Yep, a J.C.Whitney classic

Wish they still had them, i'd roll those on my M/C trailer !
ldsgeek
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 5 2010, 06:10 PM) *

I have 3, want to buy them? lol-2.gif
ldsgeek
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 5 2010, 06:12 PM) *

Welcome to the world of 914's where anything is possible with lots of patience. Your car seems like a good starting point. Look it over closely and find a nice dry place for it and all the parts. Be sure and label all the small bolts and pieces that aren't obvious where they go. You might want to aquirt some auto tranny fluid or light oil into the sparkplug holes to help keep the motor from getting stuck while it's setting around. Good luck and have fun.

The engine has been out for 5 years and I was able to turn it with a screwdriver to the flywheel, so I'm good there. I'd like to freshen the motor with a carb cam, valve springs and 96mm piston/cylinders and add a set of Weber 40s. That would make for an interesting ride, I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.