Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint-less dent removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tradisrad
I did a web search on paint less dent removal and I found this video that uses a hair dryer and an air duster: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379/remov...with_airduster/
Has any one tried this method? I also came across a similar video that uses dry ice instead of the duster can?
I went out to give it a try only to find that my duster was empty and then I thought I should consult with the World to see if I am getting in over my head!
RJMII
Here is a useful site. smile.gif

http://www.how-to-paintless-dent-repair.co...nt-removal.html

While my dad was working at the dealership about a decade or so ago, I was able to play with the technique with the spoons. The basic idea was to massage the metal around the dent with the spoon, and slowly work your way to the center.
That site has better info than my little paragraph, and I'm sure some pros with more modern experience will chime in.
76-914
that's a neat variation of the acetylene torch/water spray bottle combination used for hail dent repair.
tradisrad
thanks for the replies. anyone else have any thought on this?
I'm going to get another duster can and give it a go, but I'd hate to screw something up!
underthetire
If I had a duster can here I would try it on my Jeep. Looks easy enough.
charliew
I watched a guy at a dealership play with some dry ice on a aluminum hood with hail dents. He didn't get them completely out while I was watching but it did work on the smaller dents but it didn't look like it would ever be perfect. The truck was out in the sun and the color was black so the metal was pretty hot. He was trying to get the dealer to let him work on several trucks that had hail damage.
bigkensteele
I had a black '97 Integra that had hail damage, and bad. Probably 100 dents or more. The paintless guy worked wonders. Got every one of them out, except for a couple on the side pillars, which he made look much better.

The problem with this technique is that they often have to drill holes to get to the area, and then they just put a factory looking plug in the hole without priming or painting the drilled surface.

I found a guy who uses the spoons and long tools that look like dental picks. He did a pretty good job on our newer cars. I asked him to look at my 911 and 914, and he said that the metal on older cars was too thick, and he could not get good results. I think that he was being honest, but it could be that he didn't want to risk working on those, as he was just doing this on the side.

I don't really know anything about the heat and shrink methods.
basaltblack
I have been practicing paintless dent repair for 17 years. Never tried dry ice for fear of the metal shrinking too fast causing the paint to flake off. I use hot glue and special tabs for use with a slide hammer. It works well on larger shallow dents. Smaller dents are best taken out with rods and leverage
tradisrad
I guess I was hoping for a cheap and fast repair. I will try it on a spare door that a friend has and see how it goes. Heck, I'll try and video it.
Elliot Cannon
That's pretty cool. I think I'll go kick in my neighbors car door and see if it really works. lol-2.gif
JmuRiz
Hmmm, old neighbor backed into my daily driver's door...nice little dent, no sharp edges of paint damage. After I get an estimate on a fix and my insurance check, maybe worth a try.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.