Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just bought my first 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dvtorr
So to start of my 914world posting career I'd like to introduce my self. The name is diego, 19 year from Colorado Springs, Colorado. I really want some feed back sooooo let's get tooo it. I got my first 914. It's a 73' 914 1.7 the original color was this light blue but later was painted white. The Porsche was bought back in 73 and was sold to the previous owner back in 76. The car was later purchased this year by me. The car came with the black, Red key and a little pouch thing. I also have 2 folders filled with receipts dated backed from 76' till 09'. actually when I bought the car the title is from 76 and was surprised by the looks of it. The car runs like a beast and also it has 128k miles. Nowww for questions....

Do the receipts dated back froom 76 til 09 add value to the car? (I mean it shows that the car has been in good hands, I would guess it does help the value of the car.

Would adding GT flares, different bumper and spoiler effect the value of the car? I'm not sure if. I plan on restoring to its original look. But I just love how beast the car looks with gt flares and bumper etc...

That's really the main questions I have right now. Thank you all. Much love.

Diego.

Click to view attachment
porschecb
Nice car! welcome.png
qa1142
welcome.png
type47
Drive it, drive it then drive it some more. Keep it stock until you know what your budget is. Register the VIN in the Members VIN's section of 914 Info at the top right of the page. Check for the amount of rust on your car. Carbs or FI? Receipts are nice but I think with a more than 30 year old car, some repairs are due again. Check the condition of the fuel hoses. Bookmark the site by pbanders biggrin.gif . Download the electrical schematics from Pelican Parts. As far as flairs and bumpers go, remember, it's your car and you can do with it what your want. "Beauty is in the eye of the key-holder". And ... welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png RRC next weekend!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=106931
carr914
welcome.png

It looks like a nice car.

The receipts are nice to have, but I don't think they add much value to the car. However when you sell the car, the existing receipts & those you add to it evilgrin.gif will help the next owner make up his mind.

As far as modifying it, it already has a color change, so do what you want. But do so with caution, as some of the things you said come with additional costs. For example, GT Flares will also entail Paint, suspension upgrade to 5-lug & brakes

I would suggest that for now you drive it, drive it, drive it.

And find a parts car - everyone knows we are like a bag of Lays Potato Chips, we can't have just one. lol-2.gif
Steve
It's an old car. Replace the fuel lines if they have not been replaced. Check every inch of it for other issues. Original cars are getting hard to find, so you might find some people giving you crap for modifying it. But I agree its your car do what you want. My car has been in fender benders, etc. so i didn't feel guilty about turning it into a GT clone.
dvtorr
Thanks for all the feedback! Keep it coming. For real... Thanks.

Also here is the picture of the stereo. Original or not? Also are the rims I have on the car the fuchs?

Thanks again!

Click to view attachment

Diego.
KELTY360
QUOTE(dvtorr @ Sep 5 2010, 02:43 PM) *

Thanks for all the feedback! Keep it coming. For real... Thanks.

Also here is the picture of the stereo. Original or not? Also are the rims I have on the car the fuchs?

Thanks again!

Click to view attachment

Diego.

welcome.png

The radio is not original and the Fuchs are likely aftermarket, unless the PO had the inserts painted black. As others have said, drive it, enjoy it, get to know it and learn how to drive it. There are lots of guys here who have never driven a 914 because they bought a project and it's still a project (not that there's anything wrong with that). Once they get on jack stands, they tend to get comfortable there.

Don't be in a hurry to make big decisions. Just drive and enjoy, there's plenty of time to turn it into a project later.
carr914
Radio is definately AfterMarket. The Fuchs could be Real ( alot of people refinish them that way), the only way to know is to take them off and look for the Part # & the Fox head
dvtorr
I'm almost 90% sure that the rims are original fuchs but just painted. So that's not an original stereo so I think I'm gonna go ahead and get a new nicer one. Any opinion on what new stereo to get? Would having the original be better in value then having a newer stereo in it? Also here is another picture. To me it looks like the car kinda looks lower in the back. Like its sagging. Would it be suspension/springs/shock problems? Any ideas? Thanks!

Click to view attachment
type47
Don't worry about a nice stereo, you can't hear it anyway rolleyes.gif not with all that valve clatter and exhaust right behind your head! You'd have to get a new antenna anyway... What's up with the wipers? They normally are parked at the base of the windshield.
JRust
Looks solid! Might need some new springs in back. I would lower the front a bit to get it riding even. Simple to lower in front a bit. Enjoy it & welcome
jmill
Like everyone said, just drive it. For sure check the fuel lines and replace if needed. Flares look great but all the stuff that goes with them adds up quick. If you have 20k burning a hole in your pocket go for it. After you weld on the flares and change over to 5 lug you'll want to lose the 1.7 and go big 4 or 6. Neither is cheap.

My advice would be to take baby steps that limit jackstand time and keep it on the road for you to enjoy.

Sleepin
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 5 2010, 03:16 PM) *

agree.gif

Come on over! You will get to meet a good group of people!
realred914
photos of the engine bay under and ahead of the battery will tell us a lot of "hell hole rust, which would cause body sag.

make sure it is reliable and sorted out then drive it. lower , porterfeld front brake pads. and have some fun in it.

wjhat bumper you want to convert to, not many option there, and the later sytyle are considered not as nice by many
dvtorr
Is there anyway to soundproof the car from the loud noises of the engine? Also I plan on dropping the engine and stripping the car this weekend so ill post pictures then. How often should the fuel lines be replaced?

As far as the GT clone idea I'm just gonna pass on it for now. Maybe some other day.

Anddddd the wiper... I have no idea if they even work. I read something about the spare tire doing something with the wipers... Kinda lost on that. Anyways keep comments coming.

Also as far as the bumper I really scratching out that idea right now. Well I'm still looking for a new bumper. Idk hopeing to find something that fits my vision of the car.

The RRC sounds fun but I'm busy that weekend sad.gif o well. Next time for sure!

Thanks.

Diego.
NC_Colfax
Spare tire was used for the windshield wash.
All my stuff was gone when I got my car.

I have a friend with with a 914,914-6,and a 914-6 conversion and when I told him I wanted to do X and X and then X He told me to drive the wheels off the car and worry about stuff when you get bored with the look/performance or you become quite rich overnight.

Every car I looked at until I brought mine had a color change so I guess it was really common for these cars.

My car already had a bunch of stuff and I am thankful to the person who put all the $$$ and time into my car.
Do the maintance as needed...
underthetire
Beast? No its a 4cyl smile.gif . The front being higher is very common. It's been rumored Germany or US dealerships raised the front to meet DOT height requirements for the headlights. As stated before, lower the front to even it out, check brake and fuel lines and drive the hell out of it. The GT look will cost you some big$$, and with a 4 Cyl with GT kit, everyones gonna want to race you. Then you put a 6 in it, then before you know it you have the cost of a house in it.
Gint
welcome.png Diego. Nice 914! Click the Colorado-914 link in my sig. We have a few guys down in the Springs.
dvtorr
QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 6 2010, 05:20 AM) *

welcome.png Diego. Nice 914! Click the Colorado-914 link in my sig. We have a few guys down in the Springs.

Very cool man! Ill make sure to join that!

Yes and the GT look is completely not an idea anymore. I don't really want to invest that much. Just wanna have that classic look.

Also how would I go about lowering the front? Thanks for everything!

D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.