Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick CV joint question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I decided to clean, inspect and repack my CV joints before th trip to the RRC. First axle had one joint that was ok.... questionable but ok..

The second joint was fried. the inner bearing carrier was smoked with gouged rough pockets where the bearing was riding. I took a joint off a spare axle and cleaned it up.

After I reassembled the joint I really can't move it. You know, slide it in and out or rotate it. It's kind of stuck. No grease on the joint though.

Q) Can these be assembled wrong causing the joint to be too tight?

Q) How tight is too tight with no grease?

The first joint is very fluid and will come apart again easy. The second joint is stuck and I think I can get it back apart but it is going to take some work.
76-914
Rick, I just read a thread on that. I think it's in the lapawuli classics list. There are great pic's to show you how to align it
rick 918-S
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 5 2010, 04:24 PM) *

Rick, I just read a thread on that. I thin k it's in the lapawuli classics list. There are great pic's to show you hao to align it

Cool, I'll search it out. I knew I saw one once but couldn't find it. Thanks
pcar916
Alignment is the key. If it's truly immovable and aligned wrong then congratulations, we've all been there. Put the axle in a vise and slide the CV onto it. You'll get better leverage to get it apart again.

Good Luck
Rotary'14
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 5 2010, 02:05 PM) *

I decided to clean, inspect and repack my CV joints before th trip to the RRC. First axle had one joint that was ok.... questionable but ok..

The second joint was fried. the inner bearing carrier was smoked with gouged rough pockets where the bearing was riding. I took a joint off a spare axle and cleaned it up.

After I reassembled the joint I really can't move it. You know, slide it in and out or rotate it. It's kind of stuck. No grease on the joint though.

Q) Can these be assembled wrong causing the joint to be too tight?

Q) How tight is too tight with no grease?

The first joint is very fluid and will come apart again easy. The second joint is stuck and I think I can get it back apart but it is going to take some work.

Yes you can put it together wrong. Sir Andy did a write up,, starts at post #28
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;#entry458313

I hope this helps,,
-Rob
76-914
Also, isn't there a video link here somewhere

Edit: Here you go Rick........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsytyVzokBg
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Sep 5 2010, 02:36 PM) *
Yes you can put it together wrong. Sir Andy did a write up,, starts at post #28
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;#entry458313

agree.gif

They need to rotate freely, even without any grease ...
smash.gif Andy
realred914
piratenanner.gif possibly assembled wrong, if done wrong they can bind up real bad. when you look at the joint end on, you will see the inner race adn outer race, you will see close spacing and far spacing between the tracks on the races. when you view a correctly assembled joint the close spaced tracks on the inner race must correspond to the far spaced tracks on the outer race. if you have far spaced tracks lining up with far spaced track, then it is wrongly assembled, you need to take it apart and roate one of the races one space relitive to the other race, then it will be right.

haynes book page 97 figure 6.13 (1989 edition) shows the correct orientation as you assemble, note the wide spaced and close spaced diminsions.

Good Luck!!!!!! piratenanner.gif cheer.gif chowtime.gif headbang.gif ar15.gif shades.gif smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif driving-girl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.