Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 916
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
steveherman
Whats the big deal?
So what that there was only 11 produced..
To me that just means Porsche realized it was a flop and did not produce them.
Porsche probably realized that most people would choose a targa over a non-targa.
It is nothing more than a flared 914-6 without a targa top... to me that is a BIG NEGATIVE.

If i had it i would sell it... buy a REAL 914-6 (cuz it has a targa)... a plymouth prowler... and a ford flex... and multiple other toys.

My opinion.
Your opinion may differ... but that is ok.
carr914
The 916 was Porsche's answer to the Ferrari Dino. They quit after 11 (+1) when they realized what they would have to charge for them. And they couldn't effective put A/C in them. George's is the only A/C car and it has a big hole & box behind the driver's seat. It's too bad he has never replicated the Original Upholstry.

All the 916s were given/sold to Porsche family members.

The Steel Roof is very useful. When I had my Steel-Roof -6, I was amazed at how stiff it was.

That being said, the prices that 916s fetch are crazy.
McMark
Why buy a 914/6? They're underpowered and if you upgrade the motor, the conversion motor mounts are better design and the aftermarket oil tanks are larger capacity. So why 'pay chump prices' just for a VIN?

tongue in cheek

Rarity has value. It always will. confused24.gif
realred914
so the guy that dont like the 916 thinks this is good...

per wikipedia:
The Flex has not been successful, with sales less half the target of 100,000 vehicles that Ford had expected to sell each year. The disappointing sales have been attributed to several factors; being too expensive compared to minivans like the Toyota Sienna, while its boxy and polarizing exterior styling was not popular among suburbanites. However, Ford was hesitant to discontinue the Flex, as it can be produced at relatively low cost since it shares the same platform as the Lincoln MKT, Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS. To spur sales of the Flex, Ford is offering "Employee Pricing" (dealer invoice pricing), plus $5,000 CAD in incentives.[11]

thak is one ugly ford, awfull ugly heck they cant even sell them all. them small windows and low roof line make it a clusterfophibic cave like interior. plus it has no targa roof. plus visability is so bad rear ward they added a rear view camera Wonder how long all these electric gizmos will last????

puke barf.gif

so much for taste.

give me a 916 with a blown motor anyday over a a new flex.

underthetire
Didn't the 916 have a "real" carrera 3.2 or something in it?
URY914
bandjoey
Porsche realized the 916 would kill the 911 if it was raced. aktion035.gif
steveherman
QUOTE(realred914 @ Sep 5 2010, 09:16 PM) *

Never said i didnt like them. i just think that they are missing a huge selling factor: the targa
they are a 914...

per wikipedia:
The Flex has not been successful, with sales less half the target of 100,000 vehicles that Ford had expected to sell each year. The disappointing sales have been attributed to several factors; being too expensive compared to minivans like the Toyota Sienna, while its boxy and polarizing exterior styling was not popular among suburbanites. However, Ford was hesitant to discontinue the Flex, as it can be produced at relatively low cost since it shares the same platform as the Lincoln MKT, Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS. To spur sales of the Flex, Ford is offering "Employee Pricing" (dealer invoice pricing), plus $5,000 CAD in incentives.[11]

per wikipedia: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
RED FLAG!!!

That means not always fact. I could go into wikipedia if i wanted to and say that the flex is the best selling ford of all time.
on the same note i could go in and say that the 916 werent produced because porsche realized the flaws

thak is one ugly ford, awfull ugly heck they cant even sell them all. them small windows and low roof line make it a clusterfophibic cave like interior. plus it has no targa roof. plus visability is so bad rear ward they added a rear view camera Wonder how long all these electric gizmos will last????

puke barf.gif

so much for taste.

just cuz u dont like it doesnt make my taste bad... just means we have different tastes.
AND THAT IS OK.

If i had to choose between the 2 i also would choose the 916 with the blown motor over the flex any day... BUT i would still sell it and go back to my original statement.
bandjoey
I might never get to the museum and it's a real close up of car history to see George's car.
Why does Jay Leno have and cherish 129 antique cars. Cause he can. beerchug.gif
URY914
Why do people like a 911 RSR, I mean it's just a 911 with flares and a bigger engine. So what it is rare, faster and worth more money, big deal. dry.gif
URY914
And the point of this thread is?????????
charliew
QUOTE(realred914 @ Sep 5 2010, 08:16 PM) *

per wikipedia:

puke barf.gif

so much for taste.

Just a comment about employee pricing from ford. I worked for a alcoa fastener plant that was called huck fasteners for awhile. Huck made fasteners for ford so employees got employee pricing. The prices we got were below what the dealer paid. A dealer got mad at me when I considered buying a king ranch 4x4 crewcab truck because he couldn't get very many and he thought he could get retail for it. This was in 2000. I ended up with a harley truck but the deal was the employee pricing for huck employees was less than dealer price not dealer cost.

I like the 916 it is different.
steveherman
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 5 2010, 10:23 PM) *

WTF.gif

I made a statement.
I am allowed to state what I want.
U are gonna ask my point on 914 content on a 914 board.
If that is all you have to say i would think u would pick a topic that really has no point or reason to be on a porsche forum.
BMITCHELL
I remember a very successful tv program that was based on the same idea of "no point at all". happy11.gif Seinfeld
biosurfer1
"I read that on Wikipedia and a lot of smart people post there so that means its true"

-Michael Scott
RiqueMar
QUOTE(steveherman @ Sep 5 2010, 07:19 PM) *

RED FLAG!!!

Well, kiiiiiinda. Your entry is still subject to be submitted/verified and if it doesn't have a reference, it wont fly. It is imperfect, but I would say for the incredible amount of information it provides, its comparable.

Oh hey! Look! 2 Pennies!
carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 5 2010, 10:06 PM) *

2.4S

And yes they regular 914 VIN#s

Here's Gustl's 916 info

http://www.oct.at/wos/916/916Liste.htm
steveherman
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2010, 11:15 PM) *

Well, kiiiiiinda. Your entry is still subject to be submitted/verified and if it doesn't have a reference, it wont fly. It is imperfect, but I would say for the incredible amount of information it provides, its comparable.

Oh hey! Look! 2 Pennies!

well i would venture to say that George could be called to testify in a court of law as an expert.
here is an ad that he wrote to sell his 916.
http://www.thisweekinmotors.com/1972-porsc...ket-for-495000/

and i am pretty sure there is plenty of other legit documentation on the web...
Gustl
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 6 2010, 01:24 AM) *

definitely not !!!

5 cars were given to members of the Porsche / Piech family (Wolfgang Porsche, Gerhard Porsche, Dr. Michael Porsche, Ferdinand Piech and Luise Piech)

the other cars were sold to "good customers of the Porsche factory"

beerchug.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 6 2010, 03:03 AM) *

the early cars had 2.4 S - later cars had the 2.7 RS
carr914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Sep 6 2010, 12:00 AM) *

definitely not !!!

5 cars were given to members of the Porsche / Piech family (Wolfgang Porsche, Gerhard Porsche, Dr. Michael Porsche, Ferdinand Piech and Luise Piech)

beerchug.gif Gustl

Family Members/Good Customers is correct - that is what I was going for originally, but lost my train of thought
RiqueMar
QUOTE(steveherman @ Sep 5 2010, 08:59 PM) *

Who decides what is legit?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 5 2010, 09:02 PM) *

definitely not !!!

beerchug.gif Gustl

Family Members/Good Customers is correct - that is what I was going for originally, but lost my train of thought

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the '+1' the 916 that one of the 'Special Works' mechanics made over a period of a few years?
realred914

Never said i didnt like them. i just think that they are missing a huge selling factor: the targa
they are a 914...

per wikipedia:

RED FLAG!!!

That means not always fact. I could go into wikipedia if i wanted to and say that the flex is the best selling ford of all time.
on the same note i could go in and say that the 916 werent produced because porsche realized the flaws

puke barf.gif

so much for taste.

just cuz u dont like it doesnt make my taste bad... just means we have different tastes.
AND THAT IS OK.

If i had to choose between the 2 i also would choose the 916 with the blown motor over the flex any day... BUT i would still sell it and go back to my original statement.

well if you want to dispute what wikipedia stated that i copied, then bring on your facts on the flex, at least the wikipedia atrticle is referanced. you will of course supply refuting refereance that will disprove the facts I got from wikipedia, Right?

what dont you agree with: the fact that the sales are only about half of what ford expected, or the fact some folks attribute the poor sales to the styling that is not popular, or the price is thought to be too high compaired to a competing brand? which fact(s) is in dispute here?

if you got better facts, bring it on baby!
steveherman
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 6 2010, 12:03 AM) *

QUOTE(steveherman @ Sep 5 2010, 08:59 PM) *

Who decides what is legit?

people with the documentation.
carr914
QUOTE(steveherman @ Sep 5 2010, 11:59 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2010, 11:15 PM) *

Oh hey! Look! 2 Pennies!

well i would venture to say that George could be called to testify in a court of law as an expert.
here is an ad that he wrote to sell his 916.
http://www.thisweekinmotors.com/1972-porsc...ket-for-495000/

Except that Ad has inaccuracies. 1st of all, the 916 is Not for sale. George does this every few years to get attention. He would lose his claim to having "the Best 914 Collection in the World" if he sold it. 2nd, The Interior made it past the Port. Here is a picture of the original ( which George should replicate). I have seen other pictures that Bill Warner took.

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
QUOTE(steveherman @ Sep 5 2010, 09:11 PM) *

Then you should love Wikipedia, it has documentation (references) at the bottom of each page. It's as though you're reading a college essay. It's pretty rad.
underthetire
Groovy baby!
steveherman
QUOTE(realred914 @ Sep 6 2010, 12:07 AM) *

they are a 914...

per wikipedia:

RED FLAG!!!

puke barf.gif

so much for taste.

AND THAT IS OK.

well if you want to dispute what wikipedia stated that i copied, then bring on your facts on the flex, at least the wikipedia atrticle is referanced. you will of course supply refuting refereance that will disprove the facts I got from wikipedia, Right?

what dont you agree with: the fact that the sales are only about half of what ford expected, or the fact some folks attribute the poor sales to the styling that is not popular, or the price is thought to be too high compaired to a competing brand? which fact(s) is in dispute here?

if you got better facts, bring it on baby!

i have absolutely no facts on the flex.
i dont agree or disagree with what you said.
i dont care what previous sales are.
i dont need facts to have the desire to want one.
i want it because I LIKE IT... no other reason.
I dont care if Ferdinand Porsche would have hated it... I dont care if everyone in the country hates it BUT me... i still want it.
steveherman
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 6 2010, 12:17 AM) *

Then you should love Wikipedia, it has documentation (references) at the bottom of each page. It's as though you're reading a college essay. It's pretty rad.

yet wikipedia is an unacceptable point of reference in probably any college in the country.
carr914
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 6 2010, 12:05 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 5 2010, 09:02 PM) *

definitely not !!!

beerchug.gif Gustl

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the '+1' the 916 that one of the 'Special Works' mechanics made over a period of a few years?

No, in my mind that is not a 916. As I remember that is a big bumper car 914-6

This is the +1. I used to drive it in Track Events @ Sebring. It had 35-50 Pages of documentation and it was made from a Real 914-6 instead of a 914 tub.

In my opinion it is no longer a 916, because it was taken apart for restoration and the wife of the owner stole/sold off the Real 916 bits. It was put back together, but lacks the correct stuff. It is still in Florida

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
QUOTE(steveherman @ Sep 5 2010, 09:20 PM) *

yet wikipedia is an unacceptable point of reference in probably any college in the country.

Well if you are using an APA or MLA format, it would actually make it quite easy, because, as I said, the source is listed at the bottom.

So, I could see it going somewhat like this....

"Hey! It says here on Wikipedia that [Insert fact/information/relation], cool! I'll just scroll down and look for the reference and insert it into my paper! type.gif . Awesome! Now I can go play beer-pong!"

RiqueMar
What makes it a 'plus 1' instead of say, number 12?
steveherman
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 6 2010, 12:29 AM) *

Well if you are using an APA or MLA format, it would actually make it quite easy, because, as I said, the source is listed at the bottom.

So, I could see it going somewhat like this....

"Hey! It says here on Wikipedia that [Insert fact/information/relation], cool! I'll just scroll down and look for the reference and insert it into my paper! type.gif . Awesome! Now I can go play beer-pong!"

and then you get an "F"... yeah for you... way to go genius
professors at the beginning tell you that wikipedia is not an acceptable reference point.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(steveherman @ Sep 5 2010, 09:39 PM) *

professors at the beginning tell you that wikipedia is not an acceptable reference point.

Not really, but ok bye1.gif
carr914
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 6 2010, 12:34 AM) *

What makes it a 'plus 1' instead of say, number 12?

Because it was not part of the original run of 11, was made a year or so later @ Porsche by & for a Porsche employee, was a 914-6 VIN and was never excepted by all the experts as a "True" 916. As I said, it no longer has any of it's 916 pieces. I think it has a 3.0 litre motor as the woman sold off the 2.4. When it was apart and sitting under an Oak tree with flash rust, she offered it to me for $25K, but I passed as all the parts were gone and I'm not sure she still had the Documentation.
MoveQik
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 5 2010, 07:03 PM) *

Sweet...I converted my 75 1.8 to a 916. The first $200k can have it! biggrin.gif
johannes
That tread is first class troll ... popcorn[1].gif
Zimms
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 6 2010, 12:15 AM) *

Cool Photo TC. Have you come across any in color?
nsr-jamie
So how much would a real 916 go for if one was available for sale? Just curious...and where would you go about finding one too....are any of the original cars for sale right now?
bandjoey
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 6 2010, 09:37 AM) *

So how much would a real 916 go for if one was available for sale? Just curious...and where would you go about finding one too....are any of the original cars for sale right now?

Here you go. Price? Priceless unless you use Master Card. popcorn[1].gif
Gustl
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 6 2010, 03:37 PM) *

within the last couple of years (4) of the 916 changed their owner

prices were far beyond 200k Euro ... shades.gif

URY914
QUOTE(steveherman @ Sep 5 2010, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 5 2010, 10:23 PM) *

WTF.gif

I made a statement.
I am allowed to state what I want.
U are gonna ask my point on 914 content on a 914 board.
If that is all you have to say i would think u would pick a topic that really has no point or reason to be on a porsche forum.

Boy you seem a little upset. You can ask all the Porsche questions you want on a Porsche but I think you still need a point to a thread. It you seem you don't like the 916. I guess that is the point of the thread. Ok, I answered my own question. Thanks
IronHillRestorations
In 1995 I bailed on buying Jerry Leonard's 916 for $75k. Probably would have been a great long term investment.

The reason I didn't is because I didn't want a museum piece, I wanted a car to drive, and who in their right mind would drive a 916 on the street? I also knew that I could (and did) build a more developed 914 than the 916 was/is, and so can anyone that wants to.

I like the rear "bumper" on the 916's but the front doesn't do much for me, I think it's kinda ugly.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(steveherman @ Sep 5 2010, 11:39 PM) *

Err.... Have you been on a university campus in the past 4 or 5 years? All of the professors at the graduate level for my MBA had zero problems with Wikipedia.
Most of them will say that they expect to see more then wikipedia cited in your work, but almost all of them agree that it is a fantastic starting point.

As to the 916... Whatever. Its something that I will never have, and is too far outside my frame of reference to care about. If I want one, I know how to convert my car to be one.

Zach
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 7 2010, 01:01 AM) *

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 6 2010, 09:37 AM) *

Here you go. Price? Priceless unless you use Master Card. popcorn[1].gif

The blue one is currently for sale......
Gustl
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 7 2010, 04:44 AM) *

The blue one is currently for sale......

sorry ... no

it was for sale last year but then found a new home

smile.gif Gustl
turboman808
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 6 2010, 02:28 PM) *

The reason I didn't is because I didn't want a museum piece, I wanted a car to drive, and who in their right mind would drive a 916 on the street? I also knew that I could (and did) build a more developed 914 than the 916 was/is, and so can anyone that wants to.

I went to the vintage car festival this weekend. You would be amazed what people drive on the street. One guy drove up from the Hamptons in his jaguar xkss to drive his 60s era ferrari race car. Guess to some money is no object. Someday I hope I join that crowd. smile.gif

At this point in life I am not that interested it original classics myself. Replicas seems to be alot more exciting. generally fast and less expensive.
nsr-jamie
If I had a real 916 I would drive it. I don't think I would drive it to the mall or take it out for shopping but keep it stored away safe and bring it out for car show and shines and really nice dry weekends...
Gustl
I already had a ride in a 916 rocking nana.gif dancinnanner.gif rocking nana.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.