Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Light weight flywheel for the race car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
bam914
A friend of mine that I use to race with has decided to hang up his racing helmet and sell off his parts. I picked up this flywheel he had made. It uses a 7.25" pressure plate and the whole assembly minus the disc weighs 10.5#. I will be removing the welded on piece when I balance it.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Borderline
WOW! That is seriously light and looks like it will transmit all the power you can imagine. How hard would it be to duplicate?
brilliantrot
Bill for an AX car I think you can go too light. Maybe with more modest power it would work well but my 993 has a similar clutch (Sachs racing 5.5" triple plate that is right at 11pounds with flywheel, it is a 997 GT3 cup part) and in 2nd gear if you get any wheel spin at all it immediately pegs the rev limiter and won't come back until you get out of the throttle. While this is with 300+hp, the 993 does have a LSD, 1400lb over the rear wheels, 305/40/18 slicks, a heavy brake and wheel/tire to spin up, and 2nd gear redline is 78mph. If I get them spinning in first, I can spin them all the way through 3rd at an indicated 120+mph with out really going anywhere.

At the track it is awesome but for AX, I think it is just too light.
neilca
Blake,

That is a very rare piece you have there. I know of only three to exist and I made the first two. That clutch is probably the best of the three because Quartermaster made it on CNC equipment. The first was a prototype we tried in Dan Williams race car, it slipped. I goofed on some of the spacings. The second I made for the six cylinder I am currently running. I will post a picture of it later. It was made to use twin discs. This third clutch Dan contracted Quartermaster to build and as far as I know it has never been run. I can't remember if the flywheel was made of steel or aluminum. The first two where steel.

I would advice you to check three things when you install it. First be sure the fingers are parallel to the flywheel when it is installed. If they are not then the spacing is off.
Second check the ring gear to be sure the starter has room to disengage. I don't recall a problem with the single disc set up but the double was too close.
Third you will have to build a spacer to go between your throw out bearing and the clutch plate. The stock bearing won't be able to reach the plate.

Once that is set up the clutch should live forever inyour ITB car. You are going to love how it wakes that thing up. Let me know if you need any help with it.

Neil Cawley
neilca
Click to view attachment

Here is the clutch on the six. Notice the ring gear flex is behind the clutch cover. I had to do this to clear the starter. This is using the AP clutch cover.
bam914
Thanks for the advice. This flywheel is for the EP 914 that I am building my ITB car into. This would be very illegal for IT.
sean_v8_914
i too believe that too light is less good. sure, full tilt boogie monster track cars and exotics run super light flywheels but...
I dont, did not like a super light set up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.