Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Steering Rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
I have a complete '89 911 suspension. Will the steering rack complete interchange with the stock 914? If so, are they the same ratio's? The 911 rack only has 59K miles on it, so it would be nice if I can use it. I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks,

Andy
Dave_Darling
If it's from a torsion-bar-suspended car (3.2 Carrera), it should fit but I don't think there will be any real difference from the 914 rack. If it's from a coil-spring car (Carrera 4), I'm not sure...

--DD
ArtechnikA
914 and '89 Carrera use identical 914.347.10.06 steering racks.
the one from the Turbo is different.
RAR
I have a 914, 911S, and 911SC rack and they are all different, though the two 911 racks are nearly the same externally. The 911 rack will bolt right in, but I believe it is recommended you retain the rubber dampening section from the 914.
RAR
Yes, you can use the 911 rack from the '89.
machina
I am pretty sure that in '89 starting with the C4 (964), the cars had power steering. I don't think you want power steering in your 914.

dr
andys
Ok guys, the consensus is that the steering rack is the same/it fits. The rack I have is manual, so no power. It is off a Carrera. Until I disassemble the 914, I won't know they are identical or not; hence my question.

"The 911 rack will bolt right in, but I believe it is recommended you retain the rubber dampening section from the 914."

RAR, which rubber dampening section? Tie rods?

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Andy
brant
no, there is a rubber dampening donut where the steering rod connects with the rack...

(hint hint... racers... there is a big difference when these are made out of delrin)....

b
dflesburg
I have one in my car out of an 87 Carrera. See my website.

Fit perfect.
dflesburg
They are right, you need to keep your steering shaft, they are different lengths.

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
Brant,

we install nothing and lengthen the shaft. The steering shaft will bolt directly to the rack drive.

Instant feedback.

B
brant
ohh....

out smarted me on that one.. I hadn't thought of that. Do you then turn it 90 degrees when you do that?

ha... learn something new everyday.
Thought I was so smart with the delrin though
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.