Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: yes you CAN install 993 seats in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
I just got through installing my 4 way power 993 seats in my '74 914. The seats are very wide though, and the driver's side would not install using the original handbrake handle and brake cable guide. Therefore, I had to remove the cable guide so the seat track could fit in and cut off the existing hand brake handle pivot. Here's how it's done.

First locate the existing cable guide bracket and remove it.
IPB Image

Then remove any hidden rust:
IPB Image

Prep and primer the area:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Followed by chopping off the hand brake pivot (which sticks out to far)

IPB Image

Then paint the remaining surfaces:
IPB Image

When all is done you can then drill new mounting holes for the tracks and run power to the 4 way switch (it is only a switched positive and a ground to each seat).

Here's how it looks when done:

IPB Image

Now I will need to fabricate a new hand brake mount between the seats, probably a 964 handle and some minor fabrication.

IPB Image

If anyone has a black 964 handbrake assembly for sale please let me know.

Thanks.

Rob
biosurfer1
Looking good...nice write up
qa1142
First. very cool

Second, how tall are you? I bet many people would not fit.. huh.gif
Als914
QUOTE(moparrob @ Sep 6 2010, 02:25 PM) *
I just got through installing my 4 way power 993 seats in my '74 914. The seats are very wide though, and the driver's side would not install using the original handbrake handle and brake cable guide. Therefore, I had to remove the cable guide so the seat track could fit in and cut off the existing hand brake handle pivot. Here's how it's done.

Nice work.
Are those Getty interior door panels? and are they still available?
Al
siverson
Yikes. That reminds me of being stuck in the middle/middle seat for an 18 hour flight to Singapore. (I'm 6'6")

-Steve
charliew
How much heavier are the 993 seats?
campbellcj
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 7 2010, 07:22 PM) *

How much heavier are the 993 seats?

If they retain the full power operation as it looks/sounds, I would speculate they're several times heavier than the stock 914 seat which is extremely light (seat only, not including the metal base and rails).

They definitely look nice - door panels too - and comfy.
Cap'n Krusty
Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something.

The Cap'n
Derek Seymour
Looks pretty cool! I was wondering about those door panels too?
moparrob
For those who had asked about the door panels, I happened to stumble across the vendor that made them as I was thumbing through Panorama Magazine.

It is indeed called 'The Porsche Place' at (541)459-1700, 110Arrowhead Ranch Road, Oakland, OR 97463

No website listed though, hmmm. Maybe some industrious member can trade them web services for a set of panels?

Good luck...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.