Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting a 6 after 7 months
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
OK, I have a 3.0 with Webers in my car; it has not run for 7 months. I want to start it so I can shoot a video of the engine running so I can sell the engine and transaxle. I figure people would prefer to see and hear it run.

1. The oil tank, with the dispstick, shows no oil. Is that normal after sitting for 7 months. I know to check the oil accurately the engine needs to be warm and idling, but I never checked one to see what showed, if anything, on the dipstick when the car has sat for an extended period of time.

2. Should I pull the plugs and squirt something in the cylinders before trying to start it?

Oh, if you know someone looking for a 3.0 with Webers and a transaxle, (not an original six transaxle or I would be keeping it) let them know this is available. By the way the car ran fine when I bought it 7 months ago. Started right up and drove with no smoke at all.

Thanks.
jpnovak
6 months is not that long.

Pull the ignition lead, crank engine to build oil pressure. REconnect ignition.

then start it up.

I would be more concerned with the old gas unless there was a stabilizer used. It will probably run, spit and sputter on the old gas.
Mark Henry
Oil will drain back into the crankcase, but I've always been told that you should see oil on the very end of the dipstick before starting.

If I was a potential customer I'd want a leakdown test.
Cairo94507
Thanks for the input; I may have a leak down test done. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.