Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Limiting/locking classified threads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
How about locking the classified threads so only the poster can make changes?

Don't misread my intent, as I'm all about free speech.

If you have something for sale, then it's yours for sale and your thread shouldn't be hijacked by someone that thinks you are over priced. If you are over priced, then you'll know it without someone telling you what an idiot you are for pricing it so high.

If you want to tell everyone that the guys an idiot for pricing so high, then start a new thread.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 7 2010, 07:46 AM) *

And how do folks ask questions? I don't want to have to try and keep track of dozens of PMs if I want to buy or sell something.

Also, the free market nature keeps those with less scruples at bay.

Zach
Tom_T
Perry, I thought that only the original poster can change his/her own posts? confused24.gif

Otherwise, if you're talking about locking down the whole thread, then I agree with Zach, & will add that mostly folks post for clarifications, pix, more info., etc. - which once the seller posts those at the ad topic, it's there for everyone to see & benefit from, & saves the seller from sending a gillion PM's or emails on the same thing.
pete-stevers
gotta have thick skin in this crowd, but yet i think the merits of posting, outweighs the downside of a limited or semi locked thread
If someone is out to lunch with price, or perhaps is a scuz-bucket
then the free forum roots him out for the benifit of all members
or perhaps there is a "line up" pecking order is as easy as looking down the thread.
naro914
Pelican went to OP only posting on classifieds, and honestly I liked it better when I owned my old car business. Perry is right, sometimes your thread gets hijacked by someone that wants to argue with you behind the anonymous wall of the internet.

For example, we had a car for sale that some guy was convinced he had owned and totalled at some point, and that we were fraudulently selling as non-damaged. I was away on vacation when this guy got going, and it went to 3 pages of how car dealers are scum (mostly true, but regardless), that my business was fraudulent, that you should never buy from us....you know, the mob mentality. Even though when I had gotten back and had to PROVE it was not the same car, the damage was done and it took over a year to repair an image issue that was never really there.

Because the internet is instant, everyone expects and instant repsonse, and when you don't respond immediately, some things can get out of hand quickly.

Just my $.02
736conver
It always got me angry when someone else chimed in and said they had the same part for X amount cheaper. Well if you did then start your own classified ad.
naro914
It always got me angry when someone else chimed in and said they had the same part for X amount cheaper. Well if you did then start your own classified ad.

Oh, I definitely agree with that too. with parts that happens a lot.
Mark Henry
It also can be regional, a car that's worth $8k to the cali boys is $18K up here in the GWN.
carr914
Well. I will admit I was the Big Offender this weekend. For some reason, after I donate Blood, I get real ornery for a couple days. I will try to remember that next donation and just stick to posting pictures in the Sandbox.

I was Not trying to bash the guy or his car. I will stand by the point I was trying to make - trying to sell a project car that has a long way to go for $41K in this economy is out of line.

I would hope that, for instance, if I was selling a 120MPH Speedometer for $2,000 that someone would call me out

T.C.
MoveQik
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 7 2010, 04:09 PM) *

Well. I will admit I was the Big Offender this weekend. For some reason, after I donate Blood, I get real ornery for a couple days. I will try to remember that next donation and just stick to posting pictures in the Sandbox.

I was Not trying to bash the guy or his car. I will stand by the point I was trying to make - trying to sell a project car that has a long way to go for $41K in this economy is out of line.

I would hope that, for instance, if I was selling a 120MPH Speedometer for $2,000 that someone would call me out

T.C.

T.C..

Just because you think it is out of line doesn't make it so. There may very well be a buyer that has personal reasons that the car could be worth that to them. I JUST heard a story of a guy being offered well into six figures for a car that is worth about $25-30k. Hell, if I put an ad up selling my car for $100k, why would that be out of line? Now if I advertised it as an factory six or something fraudulent, that is different and it should be called out. But just because you personally think the price is out of line is no reason to publicly ridicule the guys ad.

I see stuff all the time that I think is over priced because I can get it locally cheaper. I guess it really hits a nerve when someone has no intention of buying an item but they still chime in and tell others that it isn't worth what the seller is asking. Anyways...that is my .02. beerchug.gif
naro914
agree.gif

do you tell people when they have something way underpriced?
EdwardBlume
IMHO - this is a free website.... free things should benefit the users versus the vendors.

I appreciate when someone with a good reputation calls someone out... nothing wrong with that...

carr914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 7 2010, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 7 2010, 04:09 PM) *

T.C.

T.C..

Just because you think it is out of line doesn't make it so. There may very well be a buyer that has personal reasons that the car could be worth that to them. I JUST heard a story of a guy being offered well into six figures for a car that is worth about $25-30k. Hell, if I put an ad up selling my car for $100k, why would that be out of line? Now if I advertised it as an factory six or something fraudulent, that is different and it should be called out. But just because you personally think the price is out of line is no reason to publicly ridicule the guys ad.

I see stuff all the time that I think is over priced because I can get it locally cheaper. I guess it really hits a nerve when someone has no intention of buying an item but they still chime in and tell others that it isn't worth what the seller is asking. Anyways...that is my .02. beerchug.gif

I understand your point & respect it.

But would you let a friend overpay 4 -10 times the going price of a car if you could help it? The people on this board are my friends. In the instance I'm refering to it is obvious that he paid too much for the car, otherwise he wouldn't have a fortune in it without touching Any of the hard stuff. I bet he would have liked to be told that he was getting shafted, before he spent his money. How many times have we read that a Newbie buys a car that seems in good condition to him only to find out that it is so badly rusted that it was ready to fall in half.

It may have read like I was ridiculing this guy, but that was not my intention.

T.C.
IronHillRestorations
TC, I think the guy is out of touch with his pricing too, but it's a caveat emptor situation. If someone you know is thinking about taking the plunge, it's OK to PM them and tell them so.

My point is it's his to sell, if you don't like it don't buy it.

As far as calling out a rip off, that all depends on the internet credibility the rip off guy is. Many months ago I called out one of our vendors who was selling his knock-off product (after purchasing the product from the original innovator) with photo copies of the original instructions from the guy he ripped off, blatant plagerism. I was the jerk for exposing this, not the plagerist. The thing is the guy has ripped off more than one unique 914 product buy purchasing it from the honest innovator, and then re-selling it as his own. No good deed goes unpunished!
nathansnathan
At theSamba bay window bus forum, there is a sticky called

Official Bay whine about parts and vehicles for sale

That's what we need here :-)
SirAndy
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 7 2010, 06:54 PM) *
I was the jerk for exposing this

I just re-read that thread and i don't see anyone calling you a "jerk" for exposing it.

What i do see is Evill Ed posting on page 2 that he and Craig resolved the issue, yet the thread goes on for another 7 pages until it had to be closed by an admin.

I did not see anyone attacking you for calling out Craig ...
confused24.gif Andy
Drums66
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 7 2010, 05:46 AM) *

Don't misread my intent, as I'm all about free speech.

If you have something for sale, then it's yours for sale and your thread shouldn't be hijacked by someone that thinks you are over priced. If you are over priced, then you'll know it without someone telling you what an idiot you are for pricing it so high.

If you want to tell everyone that the guys an idiot for pricing so high, then start a new thread.

I think he's talking about Hi- jacking.....which is illegal laugh.gif bye1.gif
pete-stevers
dammit i missed the drama....
markb
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 8 2010, 11:29 AM) *

dammit i missed the drama....

Me too! sad.gif

biggrin.gif
Cupomeat
Just my $0.02 but in order to keep it a live market place, we shouldn't limit posting/edit classified threads.

If a person flames another in this world, we see lots of traffic to either support or refute the action. Now, if someone is down right abusive, I would think the admins could be requested to delete the thread and it can be started again.

Most of us are adults (in actions), and we can handle it!
IronHillRestorations
Cupomeat
Bacon tastes good, Pork Chops taste good...

lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.