Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update on the Alien DOA in Lincoln
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Fuchin hotel internet! I'm goingto add some stuff here but the fuchin hotel has a cable for your computer, not wireless and it crashed 6 times in a row!

I'm in York NE I'm not sure what happened but I have a rod noise. I was driving very normal worrying about the transaxle which turned out to be great at highway speed.

Here's the plan: AAA agreed to move the car from York to Lincoln where I can get a one way rental car since their agent advised me York would likely have what I needed.

Thank you AAA!

I could use a name of a local business that will take resonable care of the Alien until I can pick her up
TROJANMAN
There was a dude that used to post on Narp that lives in lincoln.

Tom Cooper? I'll see if I can dig up his info. He sent me some contact stuff a loooong time ago. I'll pm it to you.
Sleepin
sad.gif I hope everything gets ironed out! Nebraska is a rough state. I lost my 1971 in Omaha in 1993. I wish I had some family there or something.
majkos
Crapola Rick!
I hate Neb. nuthin but flat and flat and some more flat
LMK what I can help with.
hot_shoe914
Rick, call me or Mary. Her dad lives in Lincoln. I have a couple of buddies up there right now running in SCCA solo nationals. One has a trailer with him, the other doesn't. Got in touch with the one without the trailer, he is trying to get in touch with the other one. call me....901-484-6977

Shoe
JRust
Hopefully you have gotten a few calls Rick. Hoping you just called it a night or your phone was dead. I know a few messages have been left. There is help there for you in Lincoln biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
I have to hold the cable in my computer to keep connection. I will call you guys in the morning. I was driving since 4:00am and fell asleep.

Kev, I'll be over Wednesday to help with the hitch. I guess it's a 6 hr drive from Lincoln.

Text me your address again. I can't find it.

my number is: 2 one 8-4 two 8- three five three eight.

The car will be towed to Lincoln, I will get a rental car and fly home to get the mothership and recover the Alien after the RRC.
rick 918-S
Ok, no internet, I'm heading for Lincoln. Phone is on.
VoPo914
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know of a good shop in Lincoln, Olston's Import.
They are an old VW shop that has been here since the 60's and Toby knows 914's.
Olston's number is 402-467-2397. I hope everything works out.

Blaine
hot_shoe914
Talked to Rick this morning. He has a plan and is getting help thanks to the local chapter of the SCCA.
DNHunt
Ah Rick I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm not sure if this helps but, when I broke down in May on the way back from WCR, I rented a U-haul truck and flat bed trailer to get home. It actually towed pretty well except the truck was gutless. $730 from Redding, CA to Gig Harbor, WA. It took 2 days of driving to get home. I was so bummed about the car breaking, it took the whole time home for Betsy to cheer me up. Luckily our insurance picked up the whole tab. That was cheaper for them than towing it the other way to a Porsche dealer in Sacramento. It would have been interesting to see what the dealer would have said when the tow truck driver tried to unload a 914 in their service area. Undoubtedly, getting it home without involving anymore people or businesses than absolutely necessary was the best solution for me. Wish I could lend a hand

Dave
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Sep 8 2010, 07:14 AM) *

Ah Rick I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm not sure if this helps but, when I broke down in May on the way back from WCR, I rented a U-haul truck and flat bed trailer to get home. It actually towed pretty well except the truck was gutless. $730 from Redding, CA to Gig Harbor, WA. It took 2 days of driving to get home. I was so bummed about the car breaking, it took the whole time home for Betsy to cheer me up. Luckily our insurance picked up the whole tab. That was cheaper for them than towing it the other way to a Porsche dealer in Sacramento. It would have been interesting to see what the dealer would have said when the tow truck driver tried to unload a 914 in their service area. Undoubtedly, getting it home without involving anymore people or businesses than absolutely necessary was the best solution for me. Wish I could lend a hand

Dave

Niello would have had no problem with a 914 in their service area. A lot of us who have newer Porsches also have 914's. I have a friend down the street with 9 Porsches, 2 are 914's - 1 is a Carrera GT... Believe me - they respect 914s at Niello... You'd have been fine. Hope the problems are sorting out for both of you!
DNHunt
Hey Rob

Up here with Larson Porsche they'd have a fit. I can imagine them telling the Tow truck driver to load it back up.

By the way, I've been up and running for about 6 weeks.

Dave
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Sep 8 2010, 08:40 AM) *

Hey Rob

Up here with Larson Porsche they'd have a fit. I can imagine them telling the Tow truck driver to load it back up.

By the way, I've been up and running for about 6 weeks.

Dave

Very cool. I have some details to work out with head stud length and such but I should have a closed up box in a few weeks.

Now, how to get Rick moving under his own power...

OH! OH! I WIN!!! THIS IS POST #7777 biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
I arrived home Thursday afternoon. (flight delay in the metro) I packed up this morning and headed of Lincoln to resque my downed Alien. I'm at Ron and Mary Shortridge cabin for the night. It's on a lake. I'm looking forward to checking out the view in the morning.

For now the car is safe on the trailer.

Click to view attachment

Oh, and I got here at..... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
championgt1
Have a safe trip back home!
JRust
Yes best of luck on the drive back Rick.
Gint
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 17 2010, 07:33 PM) *
I arrived home Thursday afternoon. (flight delay in the metro) I packed up this morning and headed of Lincoln to resque my downed Alien. I'm at Ron and Mary Shortridge cabin for the night. It's on a lake. I'm looking forward to checking out the view in the morning.
!?! How did you leave on Wednesday and get home on Thursday! Good luck Rick. I assume your on your way home by now. I'll give you a call later.
914coop
Ditto on the safe drive home. Hope the Allen is not too injured.
majkos
QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 18 2010, 04:50 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 17 2010, 07:33 PM) *
!?! How did you leave on Wednesday and get home on Thursday! Good luck Rick. I assume your on your way home by now. I'll give you a call later.

His flight way delayed mad.gif

Yo'Rick!
Be safe out there!
and I think you set a new record with;
driving, many 914's,trailers/truck
in lil more than a week's time
rick 918-S
Yep, When I landed in MLPS they were canceling flights to Duluth. I gave up my seat for $ 400.00 credit with Delta. I got a nice hotel room and $ 18.00 in food credit at the airport or hotel. Delta ended up kicking in an extra $ 100.00 because their ticketing system went crazy and wouldn't print my ticket for 2 1/2 hours... dry.gif So I kind of off set some of my extra expenses. The down side is it is not real money. It requires me to take another trip within a year.

Anywho, I'm home ricola.gif Ouch!, the Alien is now home assimilate.gif , my better half is not.. sad.gif
qa1142
Glad you are home safe Rick
Gint
It's good to be home regardless Rick.
Socalandy
Good to hear the Alien has landed alien_2.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.