Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Laser cutting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
So Britian shows up with steel and cad files to get his flanges and throttle bodies laser blowtorch.gif cut and my guy chokes icon8.gif ! He can't get the 3/8 thk material to cut properly and says he has to go to a doctors appointment. So Britian has to come back tomorrow.
So I have decided to learn how to run the laser myself headbang.gif . Sheesh
DNHunt
Gawd it's fun to be the boss.

Dave
TimT
kEwL lazerz and metal and making sparks....

how do you type the Tim"the tool man" Taylors grunts laugh.gif

welder.gif
Britain Smith
His shop was awesome and the work he does is top notch...I couldn't have been more impressed.

No biggy on the cutting issues, no hurry on my end. Like I said previously, I apoligize about the thickness of the steel that I was planning to use. I did not realize that the laser machine had a limit and I was on that limit.

I will post pictures of the parts I had cut when I pick them up from him.

-Britain
Mueller
Britain, why steel and not aluminum?
ppickerell
Britian,
No problem we will have it licked tomorrow. Marty the guy who runs the laser blowtorch.gif hates to be put on the spot! They will all be done tomorrow cool.gif . Your turbo project sounds like it will kick ass. I will race you for a sixpack at the MArina AX. It wil be the first time the car has been raced....legally happy11.gif . Heh heh
Tony
hEY where is your shop in P-town and I think that I saw in your 914 driving down Isabel about 7:20 in the morning last month.

Tony
ppickerell
No please, not aluminum! The machine (1000 watt) is rated for 3/8 thk steel, 3/16 thK SS, but only .080 thk aluminum. It sucks the heat up much more than steel and the cut looks like shit. Some shops that have 2500 watt machines and could do alum in 3/8. Water jet is a cool way to cut the thicker stuff with no dross or heat affected zone.
Britain Smith
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 15 2004, 06:36 PM)
Britain, why steel and not aluminum?

Mueller,

Because I am getting parts cut for the exhaust flanges, intake flanges, and throttle body plate. The exhaust flanges are in 3/8" steel, while the other two are in 1/4".
Britain Smith
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Apr 15 2004, 06:37 PM)
Britian,
No problem we will have it licked tomorrow. Marty the guy who runs the laser blowtorch.gif hates to be put on the spot! They will all be done tomorrow cool.gif . Your turbo project sounds like it will kick ass. I will race you for a sixpack at the MArina AX. It wil be the first time the car has been raced....legally happy11.gif . Heh heh

Patrick...your on!!

Is your car a 1.7L or more? I am going to have to step up and get the suspension sooner than I thought...Brad, you there???

-Britain
jonwatts
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Apr 15 2004, 10:13 PM)
I am going to have to step up and get the suspension sooner than I thought.

So Britain, how long have you had your 914, maybe 6 months now? So much for it being your daily driver and "never molested". laugh.gif
RON S.
I'll chime in to say that it is so cool to work in a fab shop that has laser cutting services.
Patrick your right about the aluminum,
Our machine is a 2600w Trumpf,and maxxed out at the 2600w peak,1/4" alum.is all it'll clean cut.
I take my cad programs for anything thicker down the street to a friend of mine who waterjets.It's not worth the wear & tear on the machine.
Ron
rhaas
At my work we are currently setting up a 5 axis water jet cutter. 8 foot x 12 foot envelope. should be interesting to see what we can do with it aktion035.gif
andys
Problem with laser cutting (or welding) aluminum, is its' highly reflective oxide surface. Takes a power spike to get through it, then back off a bit to keep the cut clean. Usually requires a pulse shaping laser for optimal results. Waterjet is a good alternative.

Andy
peridotian
Tony,
The shop is on Serpentine Lane which is in the business park off of Valley drive near Stanley.
Ron,
I will probably trade my 5 yr old 1000 watt Mazak in for a new 1500 watt Mazak this year. Some guy that makes wind chimes has offered 80K for my machine and the new one is 250K.
Britian,
Parts are done and can be picked up any time today.
peridotian
I looked at the 5 axis shape cutter from Mazak, but the price scared me away! I don't do any aerospace work so I could not fully utilize the capability anyways.
Britain Smith
Patrick,

Those look awesome...

I will give you a ring later and we can work out when to meet to pick them up.

-Britain
jonwatts
pretty pretty

I love metal, it's so.... real.
Mueller
Patrick,

those look nice !!!!

what format do you prefer? I drew up a part for TonyC that he wants you to quote/make. I believe it is .125" steel, I'll have to double check with him first, he is busy with the OTC next week, so I'll know for sure after that.

I know the issues with laser cutting alum, i was just wondering why he picked that material for that part, now it makes sense since milling/machineing that adaptor from aluminum would be expensive for just one part.
peridotian
Mike,
File format can be
dwg
dfx
iges
step

.125 thk will cut very nice in steel.

Patrick
Mueller
thanks Patrick......so you'd rather laser steel much more that alum? I have a few things I'd like quoted on to be laser'd, I'd prefer alum, but I could live with steel to keep the cost in line smile.gif
Engman
Aluminum IS difficult to cut well on any laser. To make the pedal boards I use a 4000W laser (Bystronic). We have one of these. We also have (3) 3000W Bysronic lasers. The 3000W will cut the 1/4 aluminum, but poorly. The 4000W laser is pretty new and employs a pluse technology - even so it takes about 3400W to cut well. Oh, and you have to use the right gas mixtures to get a good 'clean cut'. We have cut 3/4" steel on the 4000W laser - takes time and then you will have some kerf (angle) to the cut. Now if you want to talk about something tough to cut - try copper on a laser. That is real limiting!!

2 weeks ago we blew the head on the 4000W laser. We were cutting 1/2" stainless steel truck exhaust flanges. 3rd head in 9 months - Bystonic paid us a house call - still cost some big bucks to fix.

M
peridotian
I know Bystronics well, and they are EXPENSIVE, and finicky but well built. If I had to cut 1/4 in alum I would go to my friendly water jet guy who is CHEAP compared to me! He probably does not have a 914 habit to support or a wife that belongs to Nordstroms power buyer club.
peridotian
Mike, First small job is free cuz you took the time to come and visit! And maybe one day you will cut me a deal on herr muellerbearings
John
I know you guys are talking laser cutters, but the most impressive cut shapes I have seen were done on flame cut tables. Some of the old guys here in town (who know how to run thier machines) can make some damn nice looking parts. The parts I saw that impressed me were 1 1/2" thick steel plate cut into shapes with no appreciable kerf.
Katmanken
Saw something cool in one of my welding mags at work- a combo waterjet laser system.

Use the jet of water to act as a light pipe for the laser- cools the laser and the workpiece while it runs!

OK, nerd attack over. laugh.gif

Musta been them days working on the early starwars stuff.

Ken
Engman
Another company here in town had a water jet cutter. Nice parts! They got rid of it. Too slow and too high a maintenance cost. This is the second shop I know of that had one and got rid of it. Seems that when the pump goes it is real pricey.

They do make real nice parts! And for some materials there is no substitute.

M
Eric_Shea
Patrick,

Be careful... look what happened to TimT's right hand when he tried to learn the laser cutter ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
What happened to TimT ??

Engman said a magic word... exhaust flanges...

B
Eric_Shea
What happened to TimT ??

Twas a joke... you have to check out his Avatar on the previous page. He's missing "this" finger.gif finger...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.