Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removal of firewall sound deadening adhesive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Have a 74 conversion that i pulled the engine. PO removed engine side sound deadening/insulation but firewall is a mess. Anyone have good solvent to remove nasty old adhesive and leave paint in tact. Can't handle looking at McNasty barf.gif
Thanks
Terry
EdwardBlume
Its tough and time consuming. I've used goo be gone and a razor, but every mistake will show.... on my Dad's car it got shot eventually anyway...
sixaddict
Started with laquer thinner but decided it will kill pain ....And felt same deal with razor blade. AT least I know what I am in for. Thx
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Sep 8 2010, 10:39 AM) *

Started with laquer thinner but decided it will kill pain ...

Funny that stuff gives me a headache....
RonnieJ
I'm using 3M adhesive remover on mine and it's doing a great job. I think a large spray can is around $10.00.
IronHillRestorations
3M Roloc and a 3" green bristle disc. Takes off the paint and makes a lot of dust, but it works great!
windforfun
Acetone perhaps. Let it soak in.
pcar916
There's nothing faster or easier than a heat gun (not a hair dryer) and a scraper. I took all of mine out of the car with that. The only drawback is if you're careless and burn yourself, but you don't have to put up with fumes all day long. There isn't a gooey mess either.

Good luck
mikea100
I’m doing the same project right now only I’m stripping inside firewall. I soak it in Goo Gone from and then use Heat gun and brown scrubbing pad. It stinks like hell, but there’s no mess.
Good Luck,
Mike
pete-stevers
Funny thing i bought the 3m crap and it didn't work at all...perhaps the canadian stuff has a few missing ingredients..
but i think that you might as well take a orbital to it.
( you will most likely nick up the paint or end up with a dull old paint, and if you got the engine out...)
take it right down and repray
that is what i did.
sixaddict
I am now prepared ...Thanks all ! USed the heat gun on tar on floor many times just went brain dead on this one.

Lacquer thinner high is why painters are painters !
JFJ914
I used "PURPLE STUFF" worked fine, didn't get high.
Tom_T
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 8 2010, 09:59 AM) *

Acetone perhaps. Let it soak in.

Do NOT use Acetone as it will blister & soften & remoe the paint.

I used it to remove the overspray paint on my plates & labels.
bulitt
So the PPO did a cheap spray on this car including the hoop and sail panels. Then Vinyl was put over those. The PO removed the vinyl. Apparently someone used black silicone to patch holes in the vinyl. So really liking the look of no vinyl decided to go after all the adhesive etc.

Used turpentine to remove the adhesive. Works really well on contact cement etc. I would guess most of the fabric adhesive used in the 70's was contact cement or rubber cement. Turpentine is made from distilled tree resins so works really well in removing those adhesives or tree sap on your car.
If you have a large surface like the firewall it can be sprayed on with a small sprayer.

Just put it on with paper towels for these smaller areas. The turpentine lifted the adhesive and there was no sign of paint on the towels. Hit the area with acetone after the turp, then washed with soap and water. I'm sure this would be too hot on a laquer or enamel, would need to test an area.

Next up wet sand and polish.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Oh, it stinks...
carr914
DeNatured Alcohol might work
wndsnd
Brake cleaner.
bzettner
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 8 2010, 12:40 PM) *

Funny thing i bought the 3m crap and it didn't work at all...perhaps the canadian stuff has a few missing ingredients..
but i think that you might as well take a orbital to it.
( you will most likely nick up the paint or end up with a dull old paint, and if you got the engine out...)
take it right down and repray
that is what i did.

3M stuff didn't effect my glue adhesive either, spraying too much and letting it soak had ZERO effect
partwerks
I'm wondering when/if I put in sound deadening material, if I should just put it over the top of the tar gunk already on the floor, or just put it over the top of it?
orthobiz
Try a little Black & Decker steam gun. I used it on my chassis to get grease off, it was really effective. Try it on a small area first and it is possible to burn through paint (don't ask me how I could know such a thing!)

Paul
wndsnd
QUOTE(partwerks @ Feb 23 2014, 10:00 PM) *

I'm wondering when/if I put in sound deadening material, if I should just put it over the top of the tar gunk already on the floor, or just put it over the top of it?

The best tool fot the floor tar is one of those vibrating cutting multi tool. Zips right through it.

John
Old Yella
Goo Gone worked for me but lots of it will start to lift the paint.

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 23 2014, 07:54 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Feb 23 2014, 10:00 PM) *

The best tool fot the floor tar is one of those vibrating cutting multi tool. Zips right through it.

John

offwatch
I have had good luck with WD40 for removing adhesives. Used it to clean up butvl tape residue on the windshield and it works great.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.