Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to stop hard oil line leak?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mskala
Looks like union of hard line at front to tank line is leaking. How do you fix these kinds of
leaks? I didn't look yet but do the sealing surfaces get tarnished over 40 years?
Reasonable to put anything on the threads? Work on it with scotchbrite-type pad? I'm
just finishing an engine change and the old engine leaked from everywhere so this was
not noticeable before.
Thanks
Cap'n Krusty
Before I'd worry about the hard line and the compression fitting, I'd replace that hose. They haven't made hoses with those ends since around the time the car was new. Looks like it's weeping.

The Cap'n
IronHillRestorations
I'm with the Cap'n on this, from the pic it looks like the hose is leaking behind the fitting. If you can source the correct size hose, that fitting can be re-used.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 8 2010, 08:09 AM) *

I'm with the Cap'n on this, from the pic it looks like the hose is leaking behind the fitting. If you can source the correct size hose, that fitting can be re-used.

Good luck on finding the hose. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've been unable to find it, even when the hoses were still in production. The later hoses, the ones that are crimped to the ends, aren't the same size or wall thickness. You can still buy the stock replacement hoses for 914/6, I think.

The Cap'n
IronHillRestorations
I sold my last "for sale" set, I may have that short line though Mike. I'll check and PM you.

A few years ago I found some hose at NAPA that was constructed just like the original stock oil line, but I didn't see the specs on it or see if it was available in the correct size.
mskala
Thanks guys, I think I still have some work to do seeing where it is coming from. I'm not
familiar with the construction of the hose. Which lines are pressure, this one and/or the
one going to the lower fitting of oil cooler? If you can point me to what to replace them
with I will do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.