Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: smog bill passes committee
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
California bill 2683 passed the committee voted 8 yes, 4 No.

This is not good, as it will now go for further voting.

This law will make all cars 1976 and newer have required smog tests forever.

I urge you to contact your legislature representative to vote this down when it goes to further votes.

dave
Brad Roberts
They are currently requiring all 1976 cars that need smogged to visit the state run centers for testing. They are gathering info on how many cars actually need testing.

This is getting scary.

B
lapuwali
Went to the Assembly site to re-read the text of this bill, and they amended it three weeks ago, after I read it last. The new text is very interesting, but I'm not 100% certain it means what I think it means.

Under existing law, the 30 year rolling exemption is only for the test, not for the actual smog regulations. If they found some other way (roadside, random pullover, etc) to check you, you'll still be nailed if you didn't comply even if the car is more than 30 years old. However, the new text strongly implies that '75 and older cars would also now be exempt from COMPLIANCE, not just from being tested. This would be a positive thing, in my view. Someone else go to the Assembly site and read the bill to see if you come away with the same impression. It's a short bill, and the new text is italicized in the HTML version.

If this is so, then I think there's a very strong effort to get this bill passed w/o offending "us", and I'm thinking even more this is likely to become law.
sj914
Can you give a link to it?
sj914
This is gonna suck for my brothers 280zx/ls1 project.
chunger
I wrote my assemblyperson. . . District 14 ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif :finger2: :finger2: :finger2: pissoff.gif pissoff.gif pissoff.gif fighting19.gif fighting19.gif Yack.gif Yack.gif Yack.gif chair.gif
EdwardBlume
Lets go eat granola and hug trees. LOL
lapuwali
If your brother with the 280zx/ls1 just brings all of the smog stuff along with the LS1, it can be made to pass. Engine swaps aren't disallowed under the law, and from what I hear, as long as you do a workmanlike job, it's not that difficult to get them certified. You do have to go to a referee station and get a special sticker applied to the doorjamb. After that, the car will pass the visual (as long as you have all of the LS1 smog stuff), and with working cats, it should be relatively easy to pass the sniff test. Note that you'd be subject to the emissions limits for the engine, not the chassis.

The Assembly website is www.assembly.ca.gov. There's a "legislation" link on the left. Type in the bill number. You'll get a page with several more links on it, including one marked "Amended", which is the latest text of the bill. You can read it in HTML or PDF form. The conventions they commonly use when submitting a bill that modifies existing law is to start with the text of the existing law, strikethrough the stuff they're removing, and put new text in italics.
dflesburg
Who cares? Most of our cars are made before 76.

Plus, I am still waiting for California to fall in the ocean and drown all the freaks.
lapuwali
Some guy from OHIO is dissing California? blink.gif

The opinion that this only affect those poor sods with '76 914s has been brought up before. However, besides the great number of us who also own newer cars that would like to see the 30 year exemption eventually get around to them (pity the poor 912E owner), there's also the simple philosophical reasoning of opposing legislation that's only politically effective, not effective at actually doing what it sets out to do. There's also ample precendent for other states adopting California law, since for good or ill we have one of the most active state leglislative bodies in the country.
Joe Bob
The problem with Ohio is when you wake up....you're still there..... wacko.gif
Demick
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Apr 16 2004, 08:51 AM)
Plus, I am still waiting for California to fall in the ocean and drown all the freaks.

Since the majority of all 914's left in the world will slide into the ocean along with CA, you'll probably need to find a new hobby.
Red-Beard
Ex GF worked for the Legislature in NY. Her take on this last time around was that the representatives need to put this kind of crap up, pass or not, so that it _looks_ like they are doing something. Pass or not, they can go to the voters in the fall and say: "Look what I did! I am pro-environment" and piss off the least number of voters.

And since we are a supreme minority of rich car jerks, who cares what we think. There are lots more tree huggers in Cali than classic car owners.

This has nothing to do with trying to clean up the air. The best way to get California air to comply is to shoot every other Californian, and to shoot every other person who trys to move here.... ar15.gif
Brad Roberts
laugh.gif laugh.gif Demick that was hilarious.. laugh.gif

Man you gotta lighten up a little (dflesburg) dont attack the state where most of your rust free cars come from. I understand Ohio is mostly doom and gloom with crappy weather but cheer up. You have a lot of 914 people in your state.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.