Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SMOKE !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
glens67
Well after my first oil change on my 73 1.7 I over filled the crank case by about 1/4 quart of Chevron delo 400 30W. Every thing was fine after a short run around the neighborhood. The next day I went for a longer drive and made a hard left sweeper. The next thing I saw was the biggest blue cloud of oil smoke out the tail pipe. I thought that I had blown the engine. Pulled over and checked the gages, no oil light and the 1.7 was idling fine. Took of again no smoke ran great.
BUT...
The 914 will pour blue smoke on any kind of hard left turn. Seem to do it a lot less if I keep the oil level at about 1/2 qt. down. I'm thinking that the exhaust guides maybe a little loose on the right head.
Any suggestions??
Thanks Glen
Mike Bellis
Sounds like a valve guide to me but I'm no expert.
Elliot Cannon
Check your valve cover gaskets.
TheCabinetmaker
Distributor seal needs replaceing. .
Tom_T
914s & VWs aren't real keen on being overfilled, & you can damage an aircooled engine by overfilling.

It will generally burn off seeking the path of least resistance, so check per the others' comments above.

Also watch your future refills closely & don't go over!
Drums66
smoke.gif yellowsleep[1].gif smoke.gif yellowsleep[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.