Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ELLIOTT
Hi all, is their any reason why I should not use copper for the fuel lines through the tunnel? I will be relocating the fuel pump up front also.
ELLIOTT
I for some reason did not do a search for " copper fuel lines" before posting. But now I have and have found some information on the subject. thanks to all that has pondered on my question.
thanks again
Elliot Cannon
OK who the hell is this ELLIOTT guy and does he know he spells his name wrong? confused24.gif lol-2.gif
Cheers, Elliot (one "T") laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 8 2010, 08:51 PM) *

OK who the hell is this ELLIOTT guy and does he know he spells his name wrong? confused24.gif lol-2.gif

"One 'T'" as in "idiot".

Hi, Elliot! The Cap'n, who couldn't help hisownself ..............
Krieger
Maybe Elliot, last name starts with T?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The original lines are well protected and last the life of the car unless you have burned them from floor pan or clutch tube replacement.
If you have to replace them the biggest reason not to use the copper lines is that Racer Chris at Tangerine Racing makes SUPERB stainless lines bent in the original configuration for easy installation and longevity.

QUOTE(ELLIOTT @ Sep 8 2010, 06:26 PM) *

Hi all, is their any reason why I should not use copper for the fuel lines through the tunnel? I will be relocating the fuel pump up front also.

Bartlett 914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 9 2010, 09:12 AM) *

The original lines are well protected and last the life of the car unless you have burned them from floor pan or clutch tube replacement.
If you have to replace them the biggest reason not to use the copper lines is that Racer Chris at Tangerine Racing makes SUPERB stainless lines bent in the original configuration for easy installation and longevity.

QUOTE(ELLIOTT @ Sep 8 2010, 06:26 PM) *

I will second that. I have installed 2 sets. They go in nice and SS is not going to corrode. Price is reasonable and you will have no doubts as to it's longevity.
EdwardBlume
+3 - what is piece of mind worth?
Mike Bellis
Tha actual reason not to use copper is the maliability of copper will weaken the tube from vibration and cause catistrophic failure. You will not find anyone in the racing industry using copper fuel lines. You will however find aluminum. Aluminum works great and will not break from vibration. Stainless steel are nice too!

I run Aluminum with AN fittings everywhere. Supply and return.
76-914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 9 2010, 09:17 AM) *

Tha actual reason not to use copper is the maliability of copper will weaken the tube from vibration and cause catistrophic failure. You will not find anyone in the racing industry using copper fuel lines. You will however find aluminum. Aluminum works great and will not break from vibration. Stainless steel are nice too!

I run Aluminum with AN fittings everywhere. Supply and return.

I want to add to Mikes comment as he is mostly correct. Dead soft aluminum is OK in the vibration dept, however I used T-2021 alumininum (hard) on my plane and found both lines were cracking on the first annual inspection. It was very evident after magnafluxing the tubes. Actually it scared the shit out of me. I replaced them w/ dead soft alum and flew it for the next 10 yr's w/o any signs of fatigue
ELLIOTT
thanks for all the laughs and responses
ELLIOTT
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 8 2010, 10:51 PM) *

lol-2.gif and I was thinking the samething about yours only having one T. lol-2.gif

Darn if I would have known about this one T thing fifteen years ago I would have asked my grandparents, ..........since i'm a junior dad cant help. I always figured the one T was for last names rolleyes.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ELLIOTT @ Sep 9 2010, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 8 2010, 10:51 PM) *

lol-2.gif and I was thinking the samething about yours only having one T. lol-2.gif

Darn if I would have known about this one T thing fifteen years ago I would have asked my grandparents, ..........since i'm a junior dad cant help. I always figured the one T was for last names rolleyes.gif

Funny thing is, I spelled my name with two T's all my life till I went into the Air Force when I was 19 years old. I had to show my birth certificate and when seeing it for the first time it showed my name only had one T. I had been spelling my name wrong all that time. sad.gif Now my VA records show I have an alias, also known as Elliot with two T's. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.