Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock Oil Cooler Testing for leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
How is a stock oil cooler tested when not installed ? Any aftermarket cooler preferred ?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 9 2010, 07:58 AM) *

How is a stock oil cooler tested when not installed ? Any aftermarket cooler preferred ?

WE immerse it in water and pressurize it with compressed air.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 9 2010, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 9 2010, 07:58 AM) *

WE immerse it in water and pressurize it with compressed air.

How much pressure ?
VaccaRabite
my oil pressure gauge goes almost to 80psi when starting cold. Thins out quickly once it is running for a few minutes, but the warm up temps are very high. I'd test it at 80 if you are going to bother testing at all.

Zach
jim_hoyland
I have the smallest oil leak, and it's not from the seal. Are small leaks charactertic of the body of the oil cooler ?

And, does replacement mean dropping the motor ?
TheCabinetmaker
You might be able to get to it, but it would take three times as long as r&ring the engine
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 9 2010, 12:41 PM) *

I have the smallest oil leak, and it's not from the seal. Are small leaks charactertic of the body of the oil cooler ?

I would look at your oil pressure switch first. A crack in the cooler usually pisses out.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 9 2010, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 9 2010, 12:41 PM) *

I would look at your oil pressure switch first. A crack in the cooler usually pisses out.

Already verified oil pressure switch is dry.
Als914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 9 2010, 09:41 AM) *

Hey Jim,

I have a known, good one sitting on my bench if you're interested?

Al
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 9 2010, 11:41 AM) *

You can do it in the car. The hard part is getting the fan shroud off. You have to undo the 2 bolts at the front of the engine and let it hinge a little on the transmission mounts. get the rear of the car up in the air high, and let the front of the engine drop only so low as you need to get the fan and housing off.

Not fun, but it can be done as I have done it.

Zach
jim_hoyland
Thanks for the info smile.gif I think I have a better idea of whats inolved now. The leak is small compared to most leaks, but needs to be addressed. I also have a newly powdercoated fan housing that needs installation.... smile.gif

Sent Al a PM
bandjoey
Talk to Clay or look for his write up on changing the cooler seals. You can do this without pulling the fan shroud off too. The condensed version of that thread states:

You can get the cooler out without pulling the motor by sliding the cooler forward after removing the nuts and the oil filter mount, and there's about an inch of room. Insert needle nose vice grips and unscrew the 3 studs out...pull the cooler down.

I changed the seals in the car doing this, and it was not hard, so I can see pulling the studs out just another 10 minutes to the job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.