Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter turns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
onrails
Reinstalled my 2.0L yesterday after a top end refresh and new heads. Hooked everything up, but when I hooked the yellow wire to the starter it turned by itself. Yes I hooked it to the right terminal. It will start and run by leaving the wire off and jumping the soleniod. Obviously, there is a short somewhere, just don't know where to look. Everything worked fine before motor removal.

Any ideas?
seanery
ever read Christine? laugh.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, I've been working on this with Brian. Seems the #6 pin on the 12 pin connector has a constant 12 volts. Is this the way it's susposed to be? Seems like it should only be hot when the key is switched to the start position.
Dave_Darling
Correct--it should only be hot when the key is on. It gets power from pin #1 in the 14-pin connector, which also supplies power to the two rear-most pins on the four-pin connector. (Oh, and also to pin #12 in the 12-pin connector!) Make sure that the 14-pin connector isn't plugged in "off by one" (BTDT, it is possible but difficult!) and that you don't have something odd connected to that four-pin plug.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
Does this point to a faulty relay board, or possibly a faulty key switch?
Dave_Darling
Either. Check for voltage at the other places I mentioned. Unplug the 12-pin harness and the 4-pin harness, then check for voltage at pin 6 on the 12-pin one.

Then pop the back off of the 14-pin connector and check for voltage on the yellow wire going to pin 1 there. If you have voltage there, then start tracing the wire. Check under the seat (if you've got the Dreaded Seatbelt Interlock Relay, or if the car had it in the past), and keep tracing until you get to the ignition switch. If you get there and find nothing wrong (no other wires spliced in or anything) then the switch is FUBAR.

--DD
rick 918-S
I spent last weekend stairing at wiring diagrams with READING GLASSES! I feel your pain man! DD you are cool!

Hope you figure it out.

BTW: check to see you dont have a failed starter solinoid. I had that happen on a chevy and an old ford. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop cranking!
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks guys, problem solved. The dumbass(that be me) plugged in the 14 pin connector backwards. I'm amazed that it still ran. ohmy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 16 2004, 09:08 PM)
The dumbass(that be me) plugged in the 14 pin connector backwards.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 16 2004, 08:08 PM)

I would have blamed it on aliens or at least made it an Al Queerda Terrorist Plot laugh.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 16 2004, 11:12 PM)
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 16 2004, 09:08 PM)

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

uh Andy. You want a pic of my dumbass? Isn't MikeZ's enough? laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.